After Surgery Gift Ideas

missibaker
on 7/7/22 9:20 am

I had WLS 20 years ago. I have maintained a weight loss of 150 pounds. My mom is going to have WLS on July 15th. I want to make her an after surgery gift basket and would like to include some books that will be helpful for her in her journey, especially right after surgery. I need suggestions of books and other gift ideas for someone that is about to have surgery. She is concerned with the emotions she will go through after surgery, specifically the grief some people experience. Does anyone have a suggestion for something that specifically helps with the emotional effects? Thanks for your help!!

TheWombat
on 7/8/22 4:21 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

It can be a bit of a shock the first time you feel stressed and realise you can't comfort yourself with food. So perhaps you might include some good ways she can comfort herself and explore other senses besides taste, like a fragrant herbal tea, a scented candle, something soft to touch, a blanket to curl up with in a chair, a good book, a nice massage oil or body lotion, a bag stuffed with lavender or similar to place under your pillow...

White Dove
on 7/9/22 7:06 pm - Warren, OH

This is the best book I have found. It has always been expensive but worth every penny.

Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery: Alexander, Cynthia L.: 9780976852650: Amazon.com: Books

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends