Help! Surgery date scheduled 9/14/22 - I need encouragement

KimmyCakes624
on 9/1/22 11:52 am
VSG on 09/14/22

Hi everyone. I'm new to the boards (kinda) and I need serious encouragement. My surgery date is scheduled for 9/14/22 (after being rescheduled from June 29 and August 10). This is the most serious decision regarding a voluntary surgery I have ever made. The scheduled surgery is VSG. Today is my first day on the pre-op liquid diet. Please come in and encourage me with your success story, or how you overcame obstacles, anxiety about the surgery etc. It would be so much appreciated. Thank you!

Member Services
on 9/1/22 12:52 pm - Irvine, CA

Hi Kimmy and welcome to OH!

I am over 20 yrs post op and I can tell you that this decision was the best one I ever made, even given the fact I have faced regain over the years. All you need to remember is that your surgery is a TOOL. How you work that tool is up to you and how successful you will be. To be successful build your "toolbox" with key components that will help you achieve and maintain your maximum weight loss such as a support system (online and in person), finding healthier alternatives, focusing on portion control, and using meal prep to plan your meals.

Remember that you are going to need to maximize your weight loss during the first 12-16 months, so steer clear of simple carbs and alcohol. Alcohol is a big issue where people find that they regain because they are drinking their calories.

Best of luck to you. Keep us updated once you are home.

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 9/1/22 5:45 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

Hi there!

Congratulations on your upcoming procedure. I am seven weeks post-op from a SADI tomorrow. Was in some of the same boat as you except that I had never had any kind of surgery and was super nervous about it, what the pain would be like, etcetera.

One of the things that helped me was asking a ton of questions to the whole support team. Everything I could think of, I put in my phone and then quizzed the surgeon, bariatric nurses, dieticians, you name it. I came out of my pre op appointment feeling a lot more confident about what was coming and what to expect.

Though I'm new here, this community has also been incredibly supportive and helpful along the way. I've learned so much and gotten great feedback.

My procedure had no complications but I absolutely don't hesitate to pick up the phone and call the nurses or dieticians when I have a question or concern, especially in the first couple of weeks.

All of this to say...this truly is a huge decision in your life. I don't regret my choice since I've struggled with being obese for decades and tried everything under the sun. This surgery is, as mentioned, a great tool to help in your journey.

Best of luck to you on the pre op diet, and on your upcoming surgery! And welcome.

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

hollykim
on 9/2/22 12:40 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 1, 2022 at 6:52 PM Pacific Time, KimmyCakes624 wrote:

Hi everyone. I'm new to the boards (kinda) and I need serious encouragement. My surgery date is scheduled for 9/14/22 (after being rescheduled from June 29 and August 10). This is the most serious decision regarding a voluntary surgery I have ever made. The scheduled surgery is VSG. Today is my first day on the pre-op liquid diet. Please come in and encourage me with your success story, or how you overcame obstacles, anxiety about the surgery etc. It would be so much appreciated. Thank you!

I had wls 12 years ago and have never regretted it for one minute! I rejoice EVERY day for having had it. I was self pay and even then it has been nothing but a blessing.
it put my type 2 diabetes into remission the very night of my surgery day and my blood sugar and h1ca have been normal ever since.
single best decision I ever made for myself.
good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/22 8:52 am
VSG on 09/14/22

My surgery is the same day! We will be fine! I started my pre op diet last week and it's been hell! But we got this! Plus look at all the success stories! Our time is coming! Blessings to you!

FinallyBecomingMe
on 9/4/22 5:17 pm

The Grrrl with me in my hotel who got a minor body contouring procedure also had a VSG ( sleeve ) and wow !! She lost and kept off 150 lbs !!!

She looks absolutely Gorgeous by the way - 5'10" beautiful young face ramrod straight posture long legged small waisted figure to die for and really no excess skin .... and she's not a teenager either.

As far as health complications she doesn't know what they are Thank God.

I honestly didn't think you could keep off big numbers successfully with just sleeve but guess what I'm totally happy to be wrong and this young lady ( and new friend I hope ) is just a walking, talking example of an amazing success.

TattooMom
on 9/12/22 10:53 am - SUGAR LAND, TX

Hi I'm also new here to and I just began researching weight loss surgery myself , I'm here to tell you got this and I support you on your journey.

Most Active