How Do You Deal With Boredom in a Non Food Related Way?

FinallyBecomingMe
on 9/4/22 6:00 pm

Usually I'm Way too busy to be bored - I just run from pillar to post until I drop basically but now that I'm stuck in this hotel room for a week I'm realizing I don't deal well with boredom.

Honestly my first ( old ) impulse is to put something in my mouth though I'm not remotely hungry and it's definitely not mealtime .

My second impulse is to fix something fancy involving food and then eat three bites - for instance last night when I felt this way I walked about an hour there and back to the local supermarket bought rotisserie chicken salad greens fat free dressings various types of artisanal cheeses and fresh rolls and then made a lovely salad of which I ate ... well , very little.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it nor that it wasn't healthy I just wish I could enjoy other things like reading ... like taking a nice shower with scented body wash - maybe treating myself to a pedicure.

These things somehow don't occur to me ... the feeling of emotional comfort is always somehow food related - and if you saw how much good food I've accumulated in my hotel room - a bag of popcorn , fruit, cereal, herbal tea ...

I'm not complaining I'm just wondering how you persuaded yourselves to focus your comfort- attention away from food and what you actually do for yourselves that's not food related and feels good . Thanks ((())))

TheWombat
on 9/5/22 12:52 pm, edited 9/5/22 5:52 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Here are a few suggestions.

Make a regular habit (not just when you're bored) of stimulating other senses: herbal tea, candles, massage oil, petting an animal, brushing your hair, give yourself a facial, luxurious bedding, walking in nature, flowers, etc. Even if some of these aren't "your thing", I think it's a good idea to push your boundaries. And as you're going about your daily activities, pay attention to your other senses.

Realise that it's normal to sometimes want to eat when you're not hungry -- even thin people do it. So be prepared. Keep food on hand that is fun to eat (chewy, crunchy, etc.), but which you're not likely to overeat. Carrot sticks and other raw veggies, of course. But there are probably lots of foods that might tempt others, but you aren't overly tempted by. My list includes pumpkin seeds, raisins, and pomegranate seeds.

Before WLS, if I had a day when I ate more, I felt that I had "blown my diet" and might as well give up and try again tomorrow. But now I realise that it's normal for your desire to eat (whether from general hunger, or just boredom) varies greatly from one day to the next. In round numbers, suppose I normally eat 1200 calories per day. I might have a day or two where I eat 2000 calories, and other days when I only eat 600. My cats do exactly the same thing! So now when I find myself eating more, I accept that it's a "hungry" day, and that's OK. I haven't "blown my diet"; I only need to worry if I start having a lot of hungry days in a row.

FinallyBecomingMe
on 9/6/22 8:26 am, edited 9/6/22 1:27 am

In my hotel room I have this tiny little refrigerator which I stuffed full from the first day.

I hoard food like I?ll never get any more !

Im about to go on a four hour hike in an Eco Park and I packed literally three buns ( one sugared) about a pound of cold cuts and condiments , fruit , drinks ?. I mean enough for a WEEK lol!

And don?t try to take it away lol!

of course I won't actually eat it - it just makes me feel safe . Crazy right?

Sherylh895
on 9/19/22 6:41 pm
VSG on 09/01/22

I tend to hoard food also. It's my comfort. I'm working to get away from that. Seeing lots of food sitting on my open shelving is inviting old patterns to return. For this day, I'm retraining my brain to watch TV, go for a walk or perform self care tasks like doing my nails, shaving my legs, or a quick facial.

Ccecejac
on 10/3/22 1:51 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 02/06/20

Hi SheryIh895,

Did you have a weight loss surgery? You have to stop eating your old habit trying to full a void. It will cause you to gain some of your weight back. Most obesity people are battling excessive eating like you said trying to feel a void. Starting today, I want you to begin with a strong positive mindset starting eating healthy foods this will become your new friends in eating healthy habits!!! I guarantee you will lose weight!

I was almost 400 pounds! I ate excessively and I knew I had to change my eating habits to a healthy eating habits! The old eating habits was putting on more pounds. I just started being motivated had a strong positive mindset just strictly being mindful of continuing to eat healthy new food and there is a lot of healthy new foods choices out there for you too eat!

I had a gastric bypass surgery in 2/06/2020 I discontinue the old eating habits which is not good for us this is what cause us to become obesity. I continue to remain motivated mindful of continuing to eat healthy foods in my daily routine. I keep a journal on all the foods intake! I continue to eat in smaller portions in moderation only each day. I loss 171 pounds. I was wearing 6X in clothes now I wear size 12 in clothes now.

Just stay motivated, have a strong positive mindset and be mindful of all that you eat! Just focus on eating the new healthy foods now this is our best friends now daily. The old eating habits were never our friends and we knew that but we continue to eat excessively.

People have to take control of their eating habit back and do not let food control you? Learn to eat in moderation, small portions, and being mindful of just focusing on eating healthy food this is our best new friend now! Well, hope this all help you a lot!!!

Wish you the best in your journal.

sor09
on 9/26/22 3:14 pm

At the beginning of your journey, Pre-op.... did you take a group of classes to help you understand what BAriatric surgery can and cannot do? COPING skills are all you got post-op since the surgery is just surgery. It cannot fix or control your mind and your thoughts about food. That's a tool that has to be used with the others to get/ keep/ stay successful post-op... yup, it's for the rest of your life. Folks doing pre-op diets/ pills/ and even revisions to get it. All this stuff needs to be worked out with your PCP and your bariatric psychologists and all are based on your private medical records. You need facts to get you success. As you've read... it's not easy and it's just not the surgery.

Ccecejac
on 10/3/22 1:26 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 02/06/20

Hi have an answer for you! Yes! go get a pedicure, do some shopping, stop at Book and Nobles just relax look at some books. Sometimes, you can eat at an restaurant order something healthy sit and relax. Keep you a daily journey of your daily activities what food intakes you eat on a day to day basis!

you can began learning how to meditate for 20 minutes a day or join a physical gym in your area! I see you want to pull your self away from food!!!May I ask you a question? Did you have a weight loss surgery?

Just eat in smaller portions and in moderation each day take one day at a time. Blueberries ? helps me crave my appetite and makes me get full faster! and I eat few strawberries ð?". I drink fruit smoothies just include organic fruits less sugar. If you drink juice just dilute i****er. I drink protein Equate protein drinks 60 grams a day.

Bake chicken, steam vegetables, salad ð?¥-- is light meal eat in small portions. keep you some organic almonds and sunflower seeds without the shells. You can have turkey jerky another source of protein.

Do not think of food all day. Then you want to indulge in eating food. You need to start a gym, swimming, it is really good to meditate and keep a long book of your activities so you will know what area you need to work on the most. I hope this help... Best of wishes you can do this!!!!

Most Active