Getting ready for sleeve SO NERVOUS OF complications

Elizabeth23420
on 1/16/23 3:14 pm
VSG on 01/19/23

I'm officially scheduled for surgery on Thursday....it's been rescheduled a few times. Once because my endoscopy date was changed, another because the surgeon was going to be out. I have all my clearances but my blood work is showing high WBC...so I haven't officially been cleared by my primary yet. I need more blood work, but have my surgical clearance tomorrow. I WAS so excited to start my "new life", prior to getting my blood work. Now I am nothing but nervous. And I can't shake it. I know they won't let me do the surgery unless I am healthy enough and WBC is normal...but I can't stop worrying about what ifs? What if there's complications etc. I'm so sad because I was so ready to go and now I'm so scared. Has anyone had any complications, and how long post did they show? Infection etc? Any advice how to get over the nerves. I'm afraid it's going to make me want to cancel and I NEED this.

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 1/18/23 7:45 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

Hello and welcome!

Looks like this just posted, and I hope you got what you need for surgery tomorrow. Nervousness is super common and this is a huge, life changing decision.

Per your question, I'm just at six months post SADI, whi*****ludes a sleeve half. No complications during surgery or immediately after. I was 249 at surgery. It helped me to walk through the process with my surgeon and ask questions about how they check the staples, how many procedures they've done...and on and on. It inspired a lot more confidence those last couple of days. I spent one night and checked out as soon as they let me. At six months, I'm working through some symptoms that are gallbladder related and I have some deficiencies related to the malabsorption component of my SADI. The regular follow up helps to calibrate responses there.

Ultimately a lot of the things that come after surgery can still be easier to handle than the lifetime of obesity I've struggled with.

Hope you've been able to reach the decision that's best for you. Cheers!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Most Active