Recent Posts

TheWombat
on 4/22/21 5:51 am
VSG on 06/11/18
Topic: RE: Flavour suggestions for chia seed pudding

Oh my, that sounds delicious. Will definitely try it.

My chia seeds might be a little old; I'll try a new bag and see if that helps.

Evelyn K.
on 4/22/21 5:41 am - south plainfield, NJ
Topic: RE: RNY 2007, protein drink

Thank you very much for educating me. I'll check out the Optimum Nutrition 100% isolate at Costco. That was a funny line about Nasa! thanks. Evelyn

califsleevin
on 4/21/21 9:20 pm - CA

If it is indeed zero calories, then it wasn't 30 g of protein, or any protein at all. Real protein, that with the complete array of amino acids that your body needs costs 4 calories per gram, so anyone claiming less than 120 calories for 30 g of protein is scamming you.

.The closest thing that I have seen around lately that people use is a product called Genepro, which claims something on the order of 60ish calories for what they claim is 30 g of protein "equivalent" - whatever that is.

Protein has some bulk to it, and calories - there's no miracle way around it, but there are lots of scammers out there who would love to lighten your wallet/purse. If there was a miracle way to cram that much protein into a lighter, more compact form than the powders and drinks that we have available, NASA would be all over it, considering the incredible cost per pound to launch anything into space.

Whey isolate is usually considered to be the most absorbable form for us, and there are many products out there that use it. Preferably 100% isolate, but there are many products that use a whey blend or concentrate that has some isolate in it (isolate is more expensive, so they often blend it with cheaper forms to keep the cost down.) My wife and I currently use Optimum Nutrition 100% isolate (available at Costco or Amazon) but other brands such as Unjury are popular, too. Premier is a concentrate based product that is very popular in the WLS world these days if you don't mind a RTD product.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Member Services
on 4/21/21 10:39 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: RE: Flavour suggestions for chia seed pudding

I have made "Almond Joy" chia seed pudding as well as Chocolate Cherry chia seed pudding. Both are my go to for something sweet. I use almond extract for the flavoring in the almond joy, but top with a bit of unsweetened coconut flakes and slivered almonds. The chocolate cherry one, I use a cherry extract to add the flavor and top with shaved sugar free lilys. When I have these, I tend to not get hungry at all. I have not noticed any spearmint flavor in my chiaseeds at all. Do you think yours are expired, maybe?

TierraMoone
on 4/21/21 7:15 am
Topic: RE: pre surgery opt out?

I was more on the fence before starting the process. I did a lot of research and went back and forth on whether to have the surgery or not. I finally did and am very happy that I did so!

TierraMoone
on 4/21/21 7:01 am
Topic: RE: New Here

Glad to hear you are recovering well. For me, the surgery helped me greatly with the depression I was feeling because I became more self confident and was able to enjoy things in life I had not been able to for a very long time. It would be helpful to attend a support group for weight loss surgery and they have lots of them that are virtual now.

TierraMoone
on 4/21/21 6:55 am

I like Premier Protein shakes and also Unjury Protein. They are high in protein and taste good. Congratulations on your longterm weight loss success!

sue9999
on 4/20/21 8:05 pm
RNY on 02/08/21
Topic: RE: pre surgery opt out?

I ultimately had the surgery, but did not decide until 2 months before I actually had it. The reason I was told I needed roux eh y was of an incidental finding of stage 3-4 NASH which is advanced liver disease. Plus I had Garrett's esophagus which is precancerous. So I switched to a Lego diet and practiced intermittent fasting. I lost about 35 pounds and thought I was doing good. Then I had a follow-up liver scan which showed no measureable improvement in my liver. After finding a study that compared Roux enough Y with extreme lifestyle changes which showed that, after 1 year, those who had RNY had significant improvement in NASH markers but no to very little improvements in the lifestyle changes group, I made a decision. I let the bariatric center know that I was going ahead with the surgery. I'm glad I took the time to research, study and ponder what was best for me and don't regret that I could have had it done months earlier. I felt at peace with my decision, though I didn't look forward to having surgery only because it was my third in a year.

The center was very supportive as I went through the prep preparation as an undecided and did not pressure me in any way. You don't say why you're on the fence but I believe you'll know what is right for you.

HW 243 SW 208 GW 125 CW 135

TheWombat
on 4/20/21 1:00 pm
VSG on 06/11/18
Topic: RE: I need a personal grocery shopper!

You said "I can't get the hang of the meal planning either because I am the kind of person that can't figure out what I feel like eating on a daily basis let alone a few days or a week ahead.".

I don't cook, and I don't meal plan. You would think that would be a recipe for disaster, but I've made it work so far. These days there are more healthy low-calorie pre-made meals, but you have to look for them. Here in Ireland there's a company that makes vegan meals. They weren't specifically designed for dieters, but I have found that all of their meals work for me. A half-serving fills me up, is low in calories, and high in protein. With a few of their meals, some veggie burgers, some lentil or bean dish packages, some staples like carrot sticks and hommous, smoothie ingredients, nuts and sultanas for trail mix, and fresh fruit, I'm set for the week. No meal planning, and the closest I come to cooking is heating up something or mixing my own trail mix.

TheWombat
on 4/20/21 12:47 pm
VSG on 06/11/18
Topic: RE: I need a personal grocery shopper!

I had another thought: why not go to the store with a friend who will keep you accountable? You could help each other. Maybe they're on a budget, a diet, or just trying to avoid unhealthy foods. You can both keep each other from buying things that weren't on the list. I think a lot of people could use help like that.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1402 views