Cathy W.’s Posts

Cathy W.
on 2/20/20 7:12 am
Topic: RE: Dr. Phil - "How You Sabotage Yourself"

That's so sad

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Cathy W.
on 8/30/17 6:48 am
Topic: RE: Grateful does not quite cover it!

Way to go with your long list of what you have now since having surgery. You'll be continually adding to your list with many more achievements!

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 5/4/17 6:33 am
Topic: RE: Ready or not...this is just around the corner!

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date. From your brother, John's teaching you all those years ago, it is a loving tribute that you're now having surgery yourself.

You have lots of support and your OH friends supporting you!

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 3/30/16 1:39 pm
Topic: RE: Open Heart Surgery

I'm so glad that they found the blockages when they did. 

Take care of yourself, and feel better and stronger each day!

Lots of healthy wishes to you.....Cathy

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 2/29/16 10:36 am
Topic: RE: Too much anguish.

I'm so sorry to hear about this tragedy for you and your community. My thoughts are with you, your community and those that were killed. It is yet another reminder to cherish every single day.  Take care.....

Cathy W.
on 12/18/15 12:44 pm
Topic: RE: Non-Food and Cheap Rewards

I encourage you to create a plan of rewards you can look forward to.  Example - when you've lost five pounds, you'll reward yourself with some iTunes songs or buy a new app.  At 10 pounds, you'll reward yourself by going to a movie at a theater with a loved one.  Progress by planning a reward every five pounds.  At 20, make the reward bigger such as subscribe to a magazine that interests you such as a health and fitness one (motivation to keep going)....many subscriptions are under $10-$20.  

For me, losing regain, I've put $1 in a clear jar.  For every day that I've stayed on track, I put in $1.  The clear jar helps because it is a visual cue of the momentum you have due to all the green in that jar.  If I go off track, I will donate it or give to one of my teenage sons (which I don't want to do LOL!).  If $1 is too much every day, put in a quarter or however much you want to set it up.  Promise yourself when you've been on track for a certain amount of days that you'll go do or buy something you really want.

Journaling your food really helps.  If I don't want to have to log it, I'm more apt not to eat it.  

You could also put post-it notes reminders or motivators wherever you go - on the refrigerator, bathroom mirror on the side of your computer.  Remember why you had weight loss surgery.  Put up pictures of yourself before you had surgery as a reminder.  One of the ones I've used before is Food is temporary, Joy from losing weight and gaining health is long-lasting.  

Tell yourself as many times as you need to - "I can do this!" because you can!

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 12/5/15 7:28 pm
Topic: RE: New Here | Just Beginning My Journey

Hi GW - Welcome to the OH community!  You'll receive lots of support pre-op and post-op too. I don't have any info on Kaiser but wanted to say HI  Cathy  

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 11/13/15 11:39 am
Topic: RE: Major Scale Victory!

Huge congratulations to you on your 100 pounds in only 8-1/2 months.  That's incredible!  

All of your other NSVs are equally incredible.  I'm inspired by your excitement and gratitude!

The only train is the one you're driving on your successful WLS journey!!  

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 11/13/15 11:34 am, edited 11/13/15 3:33 am
Topic: RE: No search tool?

Go to the top blue bar.  Just to the left of your username is the search.  Click on it and a search bar will appear.  All you need to do is type in what you want to search.

Here's the link to the search of "dumping after RNY."

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 11/13/15 11:31 am
Topic: RE: 3yrs Post-op and gaining

I've had a couple periods of regain and the only "diet" I will ever do again is going back to the basics that I know work as a WLS post-op. Go back to how you ate when you were losing.  The basics for me is to eat lean proteins first, followed by a veggie salad or cooked veggies, then if I have room, I'll eat fruit or a complex carb of some kind.  

I don't know about you, but for me, every time I was on a diet, I'd stay on it for awhile, get off and regain what I'd lost.  Since having WLS, going back to basics has worked for me.

Just remember that you lost it once, and you can do it again.  You can lose 25 pounds.  Feel good about yourself that you caught it and reached out before you gained more.

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 11/13/15 9:09 am
Cathy W.
on 11/13/15 8:57 am
Topic: RE: Any tips to prevent hair loss?

I lost some hair but not very much.  I've heard that taking biotin can help.  Due to anesthesia and other aspects of the surgery, some hair loss can be expected.  I had an unrelated surgery almost a year ago and I lost some hair due to the anesthesia.  

Check out the article on Hair Loss for tips and info from a couple of pros.

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 10/23/15 7:43 am
Topic: RE: I have bad knees..

I strongly encourage you to take the good suggestions other members have shared with you. I tried those things but I waited too long and my knees were shot. 10 months ago, I had to have total knee replacement surgery.

Hopefully by losing weight now plus the chair and water exercises will minimize any knee issues.

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 10/6/15 10:15 am
Topic: RE: VSG

I haven't ever heard not driving for a month. I was instructed by my bariatric surgeon not to drive while I was taking any prescription pain pills. By Day 4 post-op, I had stopped the pain meds and was driving.

I'm not sure about the ice cubes. Whatever food progression program you're given by your surgeon, check with them first.

All the best to you on October 14th!!

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 10/5/15 4:17 pm
Topic: RE: Is It Too Late?

I'm very grateful because I was a Type 2 Diabetic before I had my RNY/Gastric Bypass in 2001. Since the day after my surgery, I have not been on the diabetes meds I was on. I have had my labs taken regularly and haven't had an issue with my A1C since WLS. I believe White Dove said that she had been a diabetic for quite awhile. I had been diagnosed with Type 2 about a year before my surgery so that probably worked in my favor for it to be in remission right after my surgery and until today.

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 10/5/15 4:10 pm
Topic: RE: WLS and Type 2 Diabetes

I had Type 2 Diabetes before I had RNY (Gastric Bypass Surgery) in 2001. Since the day after I had my surgery, I haven't taken any medication nor had any issues with my A1C. While WLS doesn't "cure"diabetes, I'm sure enjoying 14 years of remission from my diabetes!

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 8/7/15 10:46 am
Topic: RE: I Signed Up For An Adult Driver's Education Course.

One of my sons took a driving course similar to what you'll be taking.  It gave him lots of confidence.  Towards the end of the course, his instructor also had him drive a couple of the courses he'd probably drive in his license test.  

Congratulations on taking the course.  I'm sure the next happening will be to take the test and have that license in your wallet.

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 8/7/15 10:40 am
Topic: RE: Billy button incesion looks open and yellow

Have you called your surgeon's office about your incision and the draining?  Anything that comes up like this newly post-op is worth a phone call, especially with the weekend starting tomorrow.  

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 8/5/15 10:38 am
Topic: RE: I'm Not Sure If I Should Call This A N.S.V. Or Not.

Congratulations on your Driver's Permit!  Before you know it, you'll be a licensed driver.  What a huge NSV to add to the list of the others you've accomplished!

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 7/2/15 7:21 am
Topic: RE: Parmesan Crisps Recipe Question

I've made these with various cheeses and they are delicious.  This recipe is one of my top 10 faves.

The salsa is delicious.  I've made it and put it on chicken, fish and pork.  

Thanks Karen for sharing your recipes!

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 7/2/15 6:10 am
Topic: RE: What's up with the OH search bar???

The search is working. Try logging out of your OH membership account then log back in.  You might need to also clear your cache and try the search again.

If it still isn't working for you, send an email to Member Services.

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 7/2/15 6:08 am

The search was down but it is back up. Try logging out and logging back into your OH membership account.  Clear your cache and try the search again.

If it still isn't working for you, send an email to Member Services.

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 7/2/15 6:07 am

The search is working now.  Try logging out and logging back into your OH membership account.  Clear your cache and try the search again.

If it still isn't working for you, send an email to Member Services.

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 6/25/15 1:00 pm
Topic: RE: 16 days out, no loss since week one

Keep doing exactly what you're doing and you'll lose. It is very common to experience weight loss stalls.  In fact, so common that Dr. Adeyeri wrote an article about weight loss stalls for OH members.  

Stay focused on how you'll feel in a year from now, and not the annoying stalls.  I was confident that I was going to be the one person that didn't lose weight from my weight loss surgery.  That was 147 pounds and 14 years ago, and I did - you will too!!

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 6/24/15 6:03 am
Topic: RE: Need OH More Than Ever Now - cross post

Considering what is going on, I think you're doing great with your choices and you reached out for support here.  

You've already received suggestions for protein powders from other members but I wanted to reply with my support.  Keep taking care of yourself and what you need so you are better able to be there for your hubby.

My thoughts are with you and your husband.  Please update us when you can.  

Healthy hugs to you and hubby.

Cathy