100less’s Posts

100less
on 9/16/18 10:07 am
Topic: RE: GI Bleed 14 yrs after RNY

Sunday 9/16/18
I went to the ER on Thursday with shortness of breath and dizziness. My HH blood were great the previous week (I have blood checked every 6 weeks) so I didn't think anemia I assumed it was my heart (three heart surgeries since the RNY).

They admitted me and said I had a another bleed. My hemoglobin was 10 when I came in and 9 later that night. By morning it was 8 so they gave me a blood transfusion. Had a upper GI showing nothing so they planned on releasing me because my blood went to 10 but in a few hours it was 9 so they kept me. Having a colonoscopy in the morning. I doubt they will find anything.

I have had these mysterious bleeds ever since RNY.

Just sharing a warning: If you have odd symptoms and feel funny get checked out. Bleeds can fast and can be fatal. My daughter died a week after gastric bypass from a bleed five years ago.

A hemoglobin of 10 doesn't seem that low to most people but it triggers my heart to throw PVCs so I have my levels checked every 6 weeks. I've had over a dozen blood transfusions and about 30 iron infusions.

I regret having this surgery every day,

1. My daughter died from gastric by pass sleeve - bleed to death a week after surgery.
  2. My sister died two years ago after gastric by pass (she didn't follow eating instructions, ate too much, vomited in her sleep and aspirated a month after.
  3. My health has been in the toilet for 14 years.

I'd advise anyone considering it to try the Keto diet. After a rough week giving up sugar, gluten, and processed foods--you have zero hunger its a real life changer--without destroying your body.

100less
on 8/22/18 4:51 am
Topic: RE: Keto MCT Oil after RNY?

I had my RNY surgery 03/02/2004. I lost 100 (250 to 150). Over the last two years I have been gaining. I went from 180 to 197 inn month in June and FREAKED. I realized it is time to get serious. I started Keto July 1. I've lost the 17 lbs and now Interminit fasting. My hunger is gone. No sugar, no processed carbs, Lots of greens.

One major part of Keto is MCT oil in the morning helps you stay in Ketosis. It goes right through me within 30 minutes--assuming its because of my RNY?? Anyone trying Keto? Has the oil worked for you?

100less
on 8/20/18 1:45 pm
Topic: RE: Importance of Following Post Op Instructions

My sister had weight loss surgery last year. Three weeks later she ate part of a submarine sandwich, vomited in her sleep, aspirated and died.

I can't remember what she should be eating a three weeks but I was worried when she said she was having the surgery because of something like this. Now she is gone.

100less
on 8/20/18 1:39 pm, edited 8/20/18 6:39 am
Topic: RE: Can You Re-Shrink Stomach After Stretching It?

I had an RNY. Thanks Jen. Can you believe no one told me about dense protein! All this time. Very helpful.

100less
on 8/20/18 1:38 pm

really helpful. I believe you are right.

100less
on 8/20/18 10:16 am

I had my surgery 03/02/2004. I lost 100 (250 to 150). Over the last two years I have been gaining. I went from 180 to 197 inn month in June and FREAKED. I realized it is time to get serious. I started Keto July 1. I've lost the 17 lbs and now Interminit fasting. My hunger is gone. No sugar, no processed carbs, Lots of greens.

Today I made my first meal of the day (Keto Shepherds pie) and could not eat half of it.

Now I think my stomach is shrinking back to surgery size. Is that possible?

100less
on 11/15/17 12:37 pm
Topic: RE: Important Anemia & Ferritin Info

Thanks, I got a referral for hematologist on Tuesday. Hopefully he will keep better track that the md.

Thanks.

100less
on 11/14/17 1:36 pm

I thought we could not have transfusion is iron is normal. I'm in bed waiting for liquid iron to kick in.

100less
on 11/12/17 1:26 pm
Topic: RE: Looking for Vitamin Patch Coupon

I tried the coupon obesityhelp and it worked for a few minutes but I went to check out the discount was missing?

100less
on 11/12/17 1:17 pm
Topic: RE: Muscle Spasms in hands, arms, legs and feet.

Mag and potassium normal. I take Dr Sinatera Magnesium and prescription potassium. Thanks.

100less
on 11/12/17 1:16 pm

Yep, you right on. Its the ferritin. Talking liquid iron now and lots of iron fish foods. Thank you

100less
on 11/12/17 1:14 pm
Topic: RE: Looking for Vitamin Patch Coupon

Looking for Vitamin Patch Coupon. Anyone?

100less
on 11/12/17 1:10 pm

I just went through a really bad week convinced I had MS. I'm having muscle spasms and debilitating fatigue (I'm usually VERY active) and I could not get out of bed to shower.

I had blood work saying hemoglobin or Iron good, potassium good, magnesium good. Doctor suggested I see a neurologist. So with the spasms I researched MS for a full day - wasted.

Then I remembered my ferritin was 4 and I've been craving ice like crazy so I looked it up.

A healthy range for serum ferritin is between 20 and 80 nanograms per milliliter (ng/ml).

The best way to see whether you have an iron deficiency is by measuring your level of ferritin

Your hemoglobin can be great and you can still be very anemia with low ferritin.

Because doctors don't know much about anemia many patients with the symptoms of low iron tend to be ignored by physicians unless it is also accompanied by a low hemoglobin (this is termed anemia, or iron deficiency anemia).

?The problem with this treatment paradigm is that many patients who are obviously symptomatic tend to get ignored when all they need is some iron supplementation to increase their ferritin.

Hope this helps someone else.

BYW, My surgeon did my gastric bypass even though w week before I was very anemic. My hemoglobin was 4 after surgery hospitalized for a full month because of pancrititus. He never once mentioned anemia. The surgeon actually said, "Why are you in bed you should be walking around" When I got out and went to the MD I needed a blood transfusion. The MD could not believe they did not infuse me in the hospital.

100less
on 11/9/17 2:10 pm

I'm having horrible muscle spasms. I'm taking magnesium , eating bananas for potassium, and soaking in epson salts but still have a few each day in both right and left ands and in right forearm and both legs and feet.

Last blood test showed I was not anemic but ferritin was 4.And I carve ice all day.

I had artificial disk put in C7/T1 and herniations at C4/5/6 so it might be neck related?

Anyone have this from bypass?

100less
on 11/7/17 7:19 am
Topic: RE: Two Deaths from Gastric Bypass - Not Listed as Surgical Deaths

Thank you Kathy. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you found a group to help. {{{hugs}}}

100less
on 11/6/17 12:47 pm
Topic: RE: Who do I listen to about WLS?

Benjamin Franklin said, "My way is to divide half a sheet of paper by a line into two columns; writing over the one Pro and over the other Con. Then during three or four days' consideration, I put down under the different heads short hints of the different motives, that at different time occur to me, for or against the measure. When I have thus got them altogether in one view, I endeavor to estimate their respective weights; and where I find two, one on each side, that seem equal, I strike them both out. If I judge some two reasons con equal to some three reasons pro, I strike out five; and thus proceeding, I find where the balance lies; and if after a day or two of further consideration, nothing new that is of importance occurs on either side, I come to a determination accordingly."

100less
on 11/6/17 12:45 pm

>>t it is irresponsible to say something like "pray about it".

100less
on 11/6/17 8:08 am, edited 11/6/17 4:43 am

I want to share that my daughter was beautiful, giving, amazingly talented. She was the most loving person I have ever known. She loved her children emormously and was usually seen with one of them in her loving embrace. Her laugh was infectious. She was inspirational, amazingly creative in business, crafts, and art. She was the peace maker in our family. She was my ?go to? person for business or creative advice. She was my daughter, she was my close friend.

Words do not exist to adequately express the pain and sorrow I feel for the loss of my sweet baby daughter. She was a joyful child, in every childhood photo she is laughing or giggling. She became a beautiful woman and adoring mother. Everyone that knew her felt her love, hugs, and generosity.

We were very close even though separated by miles we talked four or five times a day and visited a few times each year.

About ten years ago, she faced many challenges when she went from full-time homeschool mom to single mom and student then eventually business owner after her husband left her for her best friend. She faced the world with unparalleled hope and optimism during those struggling years. Her creative passion inspired hundreds.

Her weight was out of control after her husband left her for her best friend. It got much worse and she was tired all the time. Her siblings were all thin. I had successful surgery and was thin.

So she did. She followed all the rules. But something went wrong.

She now lives, in a place more wonderful than we could ever imagine, filled with beautiful light, happy people, flowers, angelic beings, and indescribable joy. She is enveloped in pure love by our merciful Father, Her Abba. She now longer sees like we do?through a mirror dimly, but face to face. She now knows fully. There is no more pain, worry or tragedies for her. She is overflowing with forgiveness, love, and joy.

She is no longer tired and depressed about weight. I can't wait to be joined with her when my job here is done. As bad as I miss her I know God has a reason for this timing. I will wait on his timing for us to be reunited.

Vicky had pneumonia when he was 2 weeks old and her heart stopped for 6 minutes. God gave her back to me, my gift, for three days shy of 37 years. She never had any brain damage. I treasure every minute my beautiful third daughter was here on earth.

Thank you all for your kinds words of encouragement. God has been faithful and my source of comfort. I feel God powerfully. I know He is doing a work in spite of what I see on the surface. Praising and trusting Him.

100less
on 11/6/17 7:56 am, edited 11/5/17 11:56 pm

She didn't wake up because the doctor gave her pain pills. Oxicoton=poison.

100less
on 11/6/17 7:54 am
100less
on 11/6/17 7:53 am

Thank you Amy, the guilt is the worst.

If only I would have learned to eat right and raise my daughter to understand nutrition.

If only I didn't have the surgery she wouldn't have had it.

Now she is not here to see her three amazing sons grow up.

Daily guilt. Nonstop.

100less
on 11/6/17 7:51 am

>>One month post op - a sub could potentially kill me.

100less
on 11/6/17 7:48 am

I understand completely. I had the same options and decided for surgery. I just wish they told the truth about the number of deaths--it is much higher than explained.

My surgeon did my surgery even though I was severely anemic. 30 Days in the hospital with pancriititus and my iron level at 4. No one told me I needed a blood transfusion. I would have died if I didn't follow up and do my own research. The hematologist was shocked.

Of course if I did die maybe my daughter and sister would have avoided the surgery.