Do you regret the type of wls you had?

tanyarjas
on 9/3/08 12:40 am - Santa Rosa, CA

Anyone regret the type of wls they chose?

I am starting too. As I come to my 1 year mark I sit back and I am so thankful that I had the surgery, but now that I can basically eat anything I want (in moderation) I freak out about gaining weight back. I regret not fighting Kaiser and trying to get the DS, then I would have to worry so much about regain and that's my BIGGEST fear.

I'm the type of person that when I want something I want it NOW! So I didn't want to wait and fight with the Kaiser system, and I had heard a lot of negative things about the DS, but as the year has gone on I have heard WAY more positive things and wish I would of stopped and thought a little longer.

anyhoo anyone else feel they should have gotten a different surgery?

btw I am not bashing any type of surgery believe me I love my rny!

Tanya

Kaiser-Richmond, Ca

1st class 313/Day of Surgery 266/Current 170/personal Goal 168

RNY 9/26/07

amydoo27
on 9/3/08 10:58 pm - OH
I do not regret the surgery really I just wish I did not have to resort to such thing to lose weight and get healthy again. I am almost two years out and have lost 110 lbs then I got pregnant last year just had a baby 4 months ago who is perfectly healthly and I only gained 22 lbs and have pretty much lost the weight already. The problem I am having now is losing hair again. When I was pregnant all of my hair came back and now It just kills me and makes me want to resort to my old habits of grazing the kitchen for something to eat when I am not hungry.
How are you supposed to feel good about the way you look and feel if your hair is falling out??
I just wish that was not a side effect because I can deal with just about anything right now.

Amy
playwithzoe
on 10/17/08 3:41 pm
Have you tried taking a supplement I believe is call biotein, it might be spelled differently.  My sister had an RNY and take it and she says she looses less hair now than before the surgery.  Also my college roomate used rogian (again I may be spelling it wrong) after her plastic surgery to help grow back her lost hair quickly and it worked.  She was able to stop using it after a few months.  I have surgery coming up next month and these are things I plan to use to hopefully even prevent hair loss.  good luck

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

playwithzoe
on 11/6/08 7:27 am
my friend lost her hair 4 months after every new baby (she had 3) and it grew back.  I know it sucks but I'll will grow back and I think this time it is not from the WLS but from the birth.  And, isn't she/he worth it!

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Margo N.
on 8/14/09 4:10 am
Keep in mind too, that hair loss after pregnancy is really, really common. Apparently, we stop the cycle of hair loss during our pregnancies - and then it returns, with a vengeance, after the baby is born!

Congratulations on your new little one!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

dianegrace
on 9/24/08 8:42 am

I am scheduled for lapband surgery next Friday, but have had no luck talking to lapband patients as this is so new in our area.  The support meetings I have attended all have had the open gastric bypass and they all seem ecstatic.  I wonder if I am making the wrong choice.  I have to call them tomorrow am and let them know to reschedule/change surgery.  Any suggestions?

Tracistrying
on 9/27/08 3:55 pm - Somewhere in, WA
For your own benefit, please research until your comfortable with your decision.  I have a Vertical sleeve gastrectomy which is also restrictive only.  I was going to go for the band initially and am very thankful at this point that I researched further and came across the VSG.  It may be that the band fits best for you, but at this point it sounds as if you aren't quite sure, and with WLS, I believe we need to be sure!

Hugs, Traci    DD=264            SD=245        CW=148       GW=150     I'm 5' 7"  

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/28/08 3:14 pm
I personally wouldn't get the band, or the RNY for that matter. We are all different and one surgery doesn't suit everyone, but you would be doing yourself a huge disservice if you didn't research all the main surgeries ( band, DS, RNY, sleeve) and look at the statistics. Ask on each of the boards about the surgeries, about pros, cons, and links to accurate studies, and many people are eager to help. Surgeons unfortunately are not good sources about the different surgeries, as some have inaccurate information if it's a surgery they don't do, or will claim they perform it to get you in the door, so research first, select what would be best for you, then pick the surgeon. If you have any DS questions I could answer, I'd be happy to help. Good luck!
rachelmarie3
on 9/30/08 6:05 pm - Las vegas, NV
I would NEVER recommend the band to anyone. If you look at my profile, you'll see that I've had a lot of problems, which I believe started because of the band. The doctor who put it in didn't tell me it could erode into your stomach! He also didn't tell me that it's only supposed to stay in for 5 years and then it has to be replaced. One of the replies to your post suggested researching all the options. That's great advice! Make sure you're familiar with all the possible complications of the procedures and be sure you're prepared!!!! I wasn't and my life is way different now then I ever expected before the surgery, and it's not because of the weight loss!
   Good luck to you in whatever you choose!

hIpPoLICIOuS ..
on 10/1/08 7:24 am - CHICAGO, IL
I didn't know the band was supposed to be replaced after 5 years.... I'm planning to get a revision and I'm 3 years out now, but still, it's not good news to know it has to be replaced no matter what...

Even hippos need love sometimes... arent we human after all ?heart
PhotobucketBelly_dancer.gif belly dancer image by cadu379

06/30/10

Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 863 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8459 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9024 views
I want it reversed!