Anyone regret getting the LAPBAND??

pretty_in_pink
on 1/30/09 12:15 am
I'm making an appointment  with a doctor in my state who preforms this surgery.
I need to know all sides of the story from real people.

Do you regret it?
Any complications?

Thank you!
(deactivated member)
on 1/30/09 8:30 am

Also ask this question in the REVISIONS forum and both gastric band forums.
dreaminofthin
on 2/10/09 9:35 pm - Hillman, MI
I can say that I regret my Lap-band. 

I've had it since May 2007 and haven't lost a single pound to date. 

I'm scheduled for a consultation with a surgeon next week whom may revise me to a DS. 

I wish I'd have realized how much effort the band requires to make it work.  It truly is a tool, and ONLY a tool.  Don't get me wrong - I understand that any weight loss attempt - surgical or not - requires some effort.  However, the band requires the most effort of all the WLS - and I didn't realize that when I agreed to have it done.  I know myself well enough to know that I have great trouble putting forth huge amounts of effort, when it comes to weight loss - hence the need for WLS in the first place.  I have trouble getting in my protein - hate all protein drinks and meat has trouble staying down.  And, you also need to take into account that with the band - you can consume gallons of ice cream, and other "slider foods", very easily - which is where the extreme discipline comes in.  The band is a great tool for many, many people - I am not one of them. 

WLS is a hard decision, and a very personal one.  All I can say is - research, research, research  and make sure you have been educated on all of the WLS that are offered. 

Knock on wood and thank the Big Guy Upstairs, I have not had any "complications" - slippage, reflux, erosion, flipped port, etc.  And for that, I am very thankful, but it's heartbreaking to be a failure at any kind of WLS.  The emotional roller coaster I've been on thru this has not been a fun one.

With that being said - I truly wish you the very best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

Stephanie
Born Swimmer
on 2/12/09 2:45 am - Sunny, FL
You will find people that regret every type of WLS.  For me, my band was a Godsend... but then I devloped complications and I had no choice but to revise to the RNY (gastric bypass).  It has been a nightmare since that revision.  The band, my weight just melted off me.  I fell in love with exercise.  I never felt hungry.  It was bliss.  Complications with the band were far  more tolerable than the complications with RNY.  They say it will get better (RNY wise for me) but I still think about how much I loved that band.  I mourn its removal because when I had it (when it was not slipped) my life was wonderful... best time in my life.  If you want to add me as a friend, you can read about my band story then bypass story

~AlyssaLips 2Band to Bypass (Band May 2005 --RNY July 2008)        

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

(What is Interstitial Cystitis)

Evolution of Dance :)

Meet my pouch... The Gremlin:
Go to fullsize imageImage Preview

mesaucy
on 2/23/09 12:27 am - fresno, CA
well i do have to say, that right now I feel like I regret my lap band because I have lost only 25lb in 4 months....which sucks. Now I have found out that my band has flipped, so I will need to go under anesthesia again. I look at all the people who had RNY and the quick weight loss, and had a friend who had RNY 1 1/2 months ago and has already lost 25lbs. It is very frustrating to me, but I still do not want to be vit b-12 or iron deficient or lose my hair. I just have to pray about it.
Kate -True Brit
on 8/4/09 6:16 am - UK

I presume you mean the port has flipped? I found losing 100lbs in a year fast enough for me and you are on track for that. And remember, we can keep on getting fills and losing for as long as we need to.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kingfish
on 2/24/09 6:47 pm - Auckland New Zealand, New Zealand
Hi

Well I can say life is good now.............but when I had my band back in 2005, first my port leaked and had to be replaced, then much as I tried with lots of fills I couldn't get good restriction, so I believed I was a band failure.   Developed an abscess on my tummy above my port after my last fill in July 2007, and a gastroscopy in September revealed huge band erosion.   The reason that I couldn't get good restriction was that my band had unlocked and just got wider and wider.   It came out in October 2007 and after 10 months I had a revision to a sleeve.   Best thing I could have done - 6 months out my weight is still dropping - 64lbs down so far, and I feel wonderful.   There was a fantastic outcome for me - and wi**** had been so for Alyssa as well - we were both banded within a week of each other.   Good luck ..........and as a final note many of my band friends have done very well with their lapbands.

Marion
Highest weight................303
Day of surgery ................ 286
Current weight............... 228 Loss to date................75lbs

First Goal...................220
LOVING MY SLEEVE AND LOVING MY LIFE
Born Swimmer
on 3/3/09 10:04 am - Sunny, FL

Hi Marion!  I'm so glad that your VSG is working out so well!  I have a few friends with VSG.  Only one is regretting her decision ("waste of money" she put it).  I do wish I got it done instead of RNY.  Yeah, it might have made my reflux worse... but man, my RNY problems suck.  On top of that, I'm not exactly losing a ton of weight like RNY people do.  They say revision patients don't lose weight as much as the first time around.

Things are getting better with my RNY.  Nausea isn't as bad.  I don't vomit daily anymore.  My malnutrition is improving.  My adrenal insufficiency *might* be getting better.  They have to do more tests (there were things that could have made it look like it was functioning... but it might be "waking up" or false hope... so keep your fingers crossed!!)

So life is good with the VSG?  I'm so glad to hear it!  BTW, are you on Facebook?  If you are, will you add me as a friend?  I'll send you a PM with my full name so you can find me!

~AlyssaLips 2Band to Bypass (Band May 2005 --RNY July 2008)        

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

(What is Interstitial Cystitis)

Evolution of Dance :)

Meet my pouch... The Gremlin:
Go to fullsize imageImage Preview

SandyR
on 3/26/09 5:00 am - Portland, OR
I'm afraid there are people *****gret ALL types of WLS. There are those who do poorly - and those who do well - with EVERY type of WLS. Some go from the band to the RNY. Others go from the RNY to the band. some get the Sleeve, then need a band - but they cannot get the RNY because most of the stomach has been removed.

The bottom line is that WE ourselves are responsible for our own success, no matter what form of WLS we choose. We will all have to make major changes in eating, food choices, and our entire lifestyle. Don't be fooled that you will not. given that. I chose the band, the least invasive and safest option.
I have not regretted it - I am now banded 6 yrs today, and at  a normal BMI goal more than 5 yrs.
It is not easy or fun - it is hard work sometimes.  This is my post about being banded 6 yrs today:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/LapBand/3895621/6-years-banded-today-and-some-tips/

complications are possible with every form of WLS. I chose the type of WLS with far fewer, and far less serious possible complications. The weight loss stas with the band and bypass are nearly identical at 5 yrs - with the band doing a little better.  then I was VERY diligent to learn and follow the band rules and guidelines to minimize problems. There is also just some plain luck involved. 

Explore all options carefully, with surgeons who specialize in each procedure.

Sandy R, BSN, MN
band educator
at goal 5+ yrs

DISCLAIMER:  Any suggestions or comments are not intended as medical advice, but only as general information. Please always contact your own surgeon or his staff for any specific problems or concerns you are having. Although I have many years as a medical professional and band educator,  I offer suggestions here only  as an experienced Bandster. 
Tammy M
on 4/5/09 11:27 am - Somers, CT
Hi - I can't say that I regret my band - it just never worked right for me. I got the band in March '06 and never really lost much weight - I had a bunch of food getting stuck issues - which sucked - sliming is totally disgusting. I never found the sweet spot - I'd think I'd get it and then all of the sudden the band would tigthen up - once it got so tight two or three weeks after a fill I couldn't even drink water - it actually got stuck and hurt like crazy! Then I got pregnant in 2007 - I had all the fill removed for the pregnancy and all of the sudden the band started working beautifully - I found the sweet spot with pregnancy - it was awesome - I actually got to experience how awesome a tool the band is - I only gained 20 pounds during my pregnancy and I swear it is the reason I didn't get gestational diabetes with this pregnancy when I did with my last - I had my baby one year ago and decided that I didn't want to go back to using the band like it had been - I wanted the power of the band as it was when I was pregnant! I went to a new surgeon who said he had never heard of a story like mine and there was no way he could get the band to work like it did when I was pregnant and he suggested I get the RNY - so I'm in the process right now to go for the revision - I'm scared as hell - but am excited to finally be rid of this weight - anyway - the band can be a wonderful tool or it can be a freekin' nightmare - and the problem is - there is no way to tell in advance who it will work great for and who it won't - it truly isn't a one size fits all tool - maybe one day in the future the surgeons will have predictive methods to help people better make decisions.

I wish you the best with whatever you decide!
Warm Regards - Tammy -
Lilypie - (dOEW)preview image

Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 863 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8459 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9025 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 10998 views