What have i done

Latrice Spanglo
on 3/23/09 6:13 am - Champaign, IL
I researched Gastric bypass surgery for 4 years and asked all the questions that i could. I was going to have surgery in 2005 but that didnt end up happening, so i just for got about it. I moved to Las Vegas in late 2005 and was okay. My twin sister called me in 2008 asking about the the surgery so i told her all i knew she got approved and had her surgery on oct 18 and i moved back to illinois on oct 26. I started right away wanting to have it again I reseached it all over again meet with my surgeon and loved him to death. I have a blood disorder and i had to get the okay from him. So i got my approval let and then the next day i got a phone call from my dr. office with my surgery date. march 10,2009. I was so happy. I woke in a little pain nothing to bad i was so surpised about that. When i got in my room I didnt feel hungery at all. But i had this feeling of pure regret. Im so unhappy 99 percent of the time. I have a loving husband and 2 great boys they are 6 years old and 10 month old. This is the worst thing I have ever done to myself. Im not in any pain or anything like that just seem to think that this surgery is not for everyone and im one of them. I stopped having to take my pain meds about 5 days after my surgery. Has anyone felt this way. I would give anything in the world to turn back time and never have Gastric bvypass. I know so many people who have had ths surgery and they say they never felt as bad as me. I need some help i feel so helpless. I think i need to talk a doctor about this. Im depressed so bad. And i dont want to make those people who have never had surgery yet scared because not everyone feels like this. I get sick from water and i feel sick from smells. I cry all the time. i wish i could reverse my gastric bypass.
dissaperingd
on 3/23/09 11:46 am - Johnston City , IL
It will get better....  they told me that I might feel that way... but think of this way you have made this far ... and you know I am just on my journey ... thank you for your support ... I want to help as much as I can in return.. keep your head up ... think about how healthy you will be and the things you can do with your kids that you cant do now ...  like you told me one day at a time ... call me anytime or text me anytime ... THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT!!!!   HERE IS A BIG .... KEEP YOUR CHIN UP .... Deena
Michelle W.
on 3/23/09 12:54 pm

I am so sorry you are feeling so bad!!!  I have heard that alot of people wake up and regret this surgery....the first few weeks are tough!! But I have faith that you can do this...you are strong....I know everyone says it will get better and it will but I am sure it is tough for you to believe all of us when you are feeling so bad..... Could you maybe make an appointment with Dr. Repetto?   I have heard he is really good and I think you definitely need to talk to somebody and fight this head on!  If you need to talk, please call!!!  I am hoping you will feel better soon!!!

RNY  10/21/08...140 pounds lost
LBL and Brachioplasty 3/16/2010
Medial thigh lift, BL/BA, revision to my abdomen and left arm 1/18/11

sanjali23
on 3/23/09 1:49 pm - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14
Recognize that your body has gone through a traumatic change and so your hormones and practically everything else is a little off. As you start eating more and getting back to a more normal lifestyle you'll feel better and you will definitely love the way you look. I wish you all the best and hope you feel better soon

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

Corina C
on 3/26/09 11:06 am
I'm sorry you are feeling so bad.  It's normal to feel depression after this surgery as well as have regret. 

It's good you get out what your feeling.  Your not alone.  You should let your doctor know how your feeling.  You may need an anti-depression medication to help you through the beginning months.  There is liquid lexapro.

I understand where you are coming from.  It's hard especially when everyone else sounds so darn happy about it. 

There is always that reservation about voicing how you feel because it's true you don't want to scare someone else away from the surgery. 

Keep posting your thoughts.  I would suggest going to OH support meetings and seeing a therapist. 

Feel free to email me anytime.  I answer pretty quickly.

Hugs to you.  Again, your not alone.
Corina

cajungirl
on 3/28/09 12:25 pm
Latrice, what you are feeling isn't uncommon.  Many go through the remorse of WLS, your body is going through allot right now with recovery, anesthesia, food changes, etc.  It takes time sweetie, hang in there.

If you need help during this time, contact your doctor and ask for meds; it's not your fault you are feeling these emotions, your body will come around and the depression, tiredness does get better.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

mrsnil
on 4/2/09 9:48 am - hartford, IL
I know it sounds terrible to say but I believe you are the norm, *for where you are at this stage in the game.  My sister had her surgery 2 years ago this August- she was exactly the same way.  Her first seven weeks post op she truley struggled-  smells made her terribly ill / she cant have lemons even touch her glass to this day/ she was only able to drink a certain brand of bottled water/  she also experienced a lot of pain- kept her mostly in bed for 6 full weeks- She cried herself to sleep often that first two months and questioned herself daily.  By month three she could really "feel" the weight loss - and those other feelings began to ease up /not disappear, but ease/.  I am so proud of her, to date she has lost 165lbs and has absolutely NO regrets.  She is able to move better, and her state of mind is so much more healthly.  Try to hang in there and it will get better. 
kadeeagogo
on 4/3/09 1:33 am

Hello. I felt the EXACT same way after my surgery. Smells made me sick and water would make me throw up and i couldn't keep ANYTHING down.

about 1 month post op, i went to my doctor because i seriously had so much regrets and was so depressed, i seriously hated the decision i had made. So my primary care doctor and I talked and she recommended an eating disorder counselor and put me on a low dose of Wellbutrin.

I'm not a huge advocate of pills or therapy, but honestly, both did me so much good. I've learned to cope with the loss of not being able to eat, feeling like such a huge peice was taken from me and hiding behind the fat for so many years.   The pills eased me back into feeling like myself. The combo has done wonders for me, and now i see what a great thing this surgery was! The more weight i lose the better I feel, and the more confidence I gain.

I swear it will get better, see a doctor you know and trust and explain the situation. I don't think this is as uncommon as we think. I know you will feel better!!!! and pretty soon, you will see that RNY is a great thing.

Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.

missy_penguin
on 4/15/09 5:16 am - Jonesboro, IN
 Oh Hun !!!! I felt the EXACT same way!!! I had my surgery Feb 27th and I cried for like 2 weeks after. I was thinking I don't care I would rather be fat, Ican't do this!! It was horrible! If they would have said we will undo it I would have run to the OR. Trust me it will get better. I'm almost 2 months out now and have lost 33 lbs!! It's amazing how much better you feel after losing just a little weight! Just keep thinking you will be able to be more active with your babies!! That's what got me through, Ijust kept thinking about running around the yard with my daughter! I'm here if you would like to talk!! Hang in there!
flyingkiwi
on 4/23/09 4:50 pm - New Zealand
I PROMISE IT WILL GET BETTER!
The surgeons often joke that they "only operate on your stomach, not your brain", but honestly I think our brains take longer to adjust.  PLEASE talk to your doctor. The surgery is just the beginning - you need all the post-op support available. You've had huge life changes - a 10 month old AND bariatric surgery?! If you're depressed and need meds - take them. Talk, talk and talk some more. Be kind to yourself, my friend.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 866 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8463 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9027 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 10999 views