Why didn't I do it sooner...

Mandyk01
on 4/27/09 3:37 am - OR
I haven't even had WLS yet but after seeing some of the pictures and reading some of the bios my regret is not having the gumption to stick with all the work and get WLS sooner.

I keep thinking to myself...I could be thin by now if only....
wendi5505
on 4/27/09 3:45 am, edited 4/27/09 3:45 am - Toledo, OH
Stop thinking about it.   JUST DO IT!   I am a week post-op and would do it again.   There is nothing to fear,   

You became a member on my surgery date. 
tillmacc
on 5/5/09 2:00 am - Antioch, TN
Luchosays
on 5/9/09 11:54 am - Canada
Not so fast.  Tell me about it 3 years from now....

Of greatest concern are the effects of long-term nutritional deficiencies, which are rarely discussed realistically. The neurological decline and aging seen after bariatric surgeries is especially rapid and results from multiple vitamin and mineral deficiencies, said Dr. Ernsberger. Both the stomach and small intestines are critical for absorbing many nutrients, including B-vitamins, calcium, iron, vitamin D and protein. Even taking supplements in multiple times the recommended amounts doesn’t help because the surgeries eliminate the proper function of the stomach and gastrointestinal system, he said. Hence, malnutrition problems are not uncommon, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and include anemias, osteoporosis, loss of teeth, blindness and, in a reported 16% of cases, even neurological and brain damage. We are seeing the return of nutritional deficiency diseases of starvation in formerly healthy fat people that had become rare in Western societies and are typically only seen in underdeveloped regions of the world.
Karen S.
on 5/12/09 1:53 pm - Wailuku, HI
Aloha from Hawaii...and I WILL tell you about it 3 years from now which is where I am in the WLS journey. I will be three years out from RNY LAP on July 26th, and I am doing terrific.

My blood work has all been excellent at each and every checkup, and I am faithful in taking my vitamins daily and eating good and nutritious food. I have not felt so good in many many years, and instead of sitting all the time feeling depressed and not having fun because I was so HUGE, I now can run up stairs, sit in any seat and have plenty of room to spare, am healthy according to all my doctors.

My weight went from 320 to 155, and I am 5'10" tall. I weigh what I did in high school and feel like 35 instead of my actual age of 65. I would recommend this surgery to anyone.......and did years of research before entering into this amazing adventure. I am a licensed clinical psychologist.

Please do not be afraid.......what you have to gain is a lifetime of health, fitness and freedom in your body.

Aloha nui loa,

Maui Karen

Luchosays
on 5/12/09 10:28 pm - Canada
Good for you and your 3 year success story.  I am also looking forward to hearing many 10 year and 20 year success stories.  Or would you expect to have a blast for 5 years and the rest doesn't matter?

Are you sure what the long term outcomes for this surgery will be?  Cause the inventor of RNY Dr. E Mason is not..
Tammy M
on 5/31/09 11:38 pm - Somers, CT
How many obese old people do you know?
Warm Regards - Tammy -
Lilypie - (dOEW)preview image

marolkisan
on 9/20/09 7:46 am - Atlanta GA
You can't bundle all WLS together -- the above may apply to malabsorptive effects, but the band and vertical sleeve gastrectomy do not cause malabsorption.  The VSG in particular does not block food either so you don't have slimes, productive burping, dumping etc... either.
HW/256  SW/233  CW/151  GW/140 or less
G/BMI=25 or less, normal weight

1st goal = 215#, MET   2nd goal = Onederland, MET  
3rd goal = 175#, MET   4th goal = > BMI of 29.9, MET  
5th goal = 155#, MET Final WL goal = 140# or less and  normal BMI
DeWitney M.
on 3/1/10 10:58 pm - Duncan, OK
On May 9, 2009 at 6:54 PM Pacific Time, Luchosays wrote:
Not so fast.  Tell me about it 3 years from now....

Of greatest concern are the effects of long-term nutritional deficiencies, which are rarely discussed realistically. The neurological decline and aging seen after bariatric surgeries is especially rapid and results from multiple vitamin and mineral deficiencies, said Dr. Ernsberger. Both the stomach and small intestines are critical for absorbing many nutrients, including B-vitamins, calcium, iron, vitamin D and protein. Even taking supplements in multiple times the recommended amounts doesn’t help because the surgeries eliminate the proper function of the stomach and gastrointestinal system, he said. Hence, malnutrition problems are not uncommon, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and include anemias, osteoporosis, loss of teeth, blindness and, in a reported 16% of cases, even neurological and brain damage. We are seeing the return of nutritional deficiency diseases of starvation in formerly healthy fat people that had become rare in Western societies and are typically only seen in underdeveloped regions of the world.
"We are seeing the return of nutritional deficiency diseases of starvation in formerly healthy fat people that had become rare in Western societies..."

Does anyone else take issue with this the way I did?? As a former fat person, and as someone who has a family full of currently fat people I can say with absolute certainty that there are ZERO HEALTHY fat people...it's just not possible. So that statement right there pretty much makes me question the reliability of the source that produced this information...

come on..."formerly HEALTHY fat people"???????
# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 5/10/09 6:50 am
Ignore the Lucho person - they are full of crap.

I had RNY going on almost 4 years ago - have lost 200lbs and don't regret a single day.  Do you have to stay on a vitamin routine?  yes.  Do you have to monitor your protein intake? yes. 

But - what the hell?  There's not a single thing that I find so disruptive in my life now, after WLS, that I'd be willing to go back or reverse a DAMN thing......

Good luck to you!!! 

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 865 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8462 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9026 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 10998 views