Oh my aching knees

AngloAm
on 5/25/14 12:07 pm

Okay so my knees, after years of 400lbs of me to support, are shot. I was hobbling around fine on Diclofenac (aka Arthrotec) and Tramadol (aka, well, Tramadol); I could even walk on my treadmill up to 30 minutes! Had WLS (VSG) last week and am off the two meds. Since I'm on Oxycontin, it's all good, but I'm terrified of afterwards. Apparently my two standbys are off-limits and I can tell you that during the seven days off them pre-surgery I was contemplating a wheel-chair. Honest to God, if I can't have something before I can get the two little horrors replace, I will be wheeling around or bed-ridden, which is not the great improvement in quality of life I was expecting (and promised, dammit!). Any experience anyone can relate?

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

hamilbr
on 6/9/14 6:44 am - Lewisville, TX

I also was over 400 lbs. 4 1/2 years ago.  I had the DS in November of 2009.  I was using a wheelchair & a walker.  It was terrible!  I lost enought weight by Feb 2010 to get scheduled for knee replacements,  We did the 1st knee in first part of June, the 2nd the end of Aug.  It has been wonderful.  I continued to lose weight (a total of 220 lbs over 18 months) and have kept it off.  I have no knee pain or problems with them.  My problem now is I have RA. but we are dealing with that.  Good luck and I hope everything will get better soon!!!

Brenda

AngloAm
on 6/9/14 7:14 am

That's really great for me to keep in mind, than you.

Mary Gee
on 8/1/14 2:35 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I had my VSG on 5/14 - I've got neuropathy and have been using a cane/walker for several years.  My back is shot, and both hips and knees kill me.  Sometimes my right knee gives way.  I'm planning on setting up an appt. with my ortho within the next few weeks -- I'm expecting knee replacement(s) will be in order, and maybe hips as well.

I have noticed some improvements though.  The past two days I've done a lot of lawn mowing.  Pre-op I had to rest after 10 minutes - to catch my breath and ease my back pain.  Now, I've mowed each day for about an hour with no breaks.  That's a major victory.  My balance also seems to have improved.

I'm being weaned off of large doses of methadone - but will be talking to my doctor of what he plans for pain management now.

To sum it up, I feel better than pre-op, but still have a long way to go.  Wish I had WLS years ago - I really wrecked my body.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 83 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2321 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3529 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4797 views