Arthritis and weight loss

epre361706
on 5/31/14 1:14 pm
RNY on 01/09/15

HI, I hope to have my surgery in Aug. and was wondering if anyone had relieve from their arthritis after their weightloss?  My arthritis is so bad its hard to move.  My calfs are like reddish blue I assume from the weight? 

Racewalker48
on 6/4/14 1:48 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I have had osteoarthritis for several years.  Yes, weight loss did reduce the pain, but the damage was done and I still needed knee replacement surgery.  So, yes it can help, but won't reverse any cartilage damage done.  As for your calves, I would suggest seeing a doctor about it.  Your calves should not be that color and there could be a number of causes for the discoloration.  

Jiliana2
on 9/2/14 11:30 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I have psoriatic arthritis and it was being controlled by oral diclofenac, one pill twice per day.

I was told that one week before surgery, I had to discontinue my arthritis medication. I was in a great deal of pain, but I suffered through it all in the name of getting to surgery day.

Post-op, when I was cleared to start my medications again, I discovered that half of the regular dose (1 pill, once a day) is sufficient. I'm really happy about that. As long as that is managing my pain, my rheumatologist says to carry on doing that.

I hope your surgery went well. Let us know how you're doing. I know my answer is late but maybe you can glean something from it that might be of help to you.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Lemise
on 10/12/14 4:01 am

I have osteoarthritis as well. I am in need of both a hip and a knee replacement.  Have not had surgery yet but last year I lost 100# and I am sorry to say there really was no change in my pain. It is very hard for me to move also and I am not sure how I am going to walk, walk, walk, after surgery as everyone says. If you had surgery yet let me know how your pain is...

Tracey S.
on 10/25/14 10:10 am - Lewisville, TX
with

I had VSG in April and have ostioarthritis in my hip. I've lost 67 lbs to date. It has helped some with the pain but I still need a replacement.  The wls has put me in a better place for recovery from the surgery.  

satkins65
on 11/1/14 2:13 pm - grand junction, CO

Hi,I had my RNY 6/2008. My experience with my journey to lose weight has been a battle with my Arthritis. I was in hope that I would get relief by losing 175 lbs.I was 50lbs away from starting my plastic surgery and the doctor said I was not a good candidate.I was heartbroken.I told him due to the arthritis in my spine and hips I was unable to successfully get into the weight range he wanted me too.So,now I have stalled my weight loss and gained 25lbs back.Well,now I am scheduled for hip and spine surgery because it is urgently needed.It has been 6 years and I hope that after this surgery I will be able to regain my mobility to lose 100lbs and come full circle with my weight loss journey

krazypuddykat72
on 2/23/15 7:56 pm

Hi, I had my RNY Gastric Bypass in 2011. I had been having problems with my knees before WLS. My Ortho Dr. said I needed to lose 30lbs before he would do surgery. Well after losing over 160lbs, he still didn't want to do surgery. I had Arthoscopic  knee surgery on both knees. The right knee is doing a lot better since the surgery and injections, but the left knee was the worst of the two which is why it is not any better.  I have fallen several times landing on my left knee. I am looking into knee replacement for my left knee. Arthritis is moving through all of my joints and now into my neck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 82 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2320 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3529 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4796 views