Exercise

Ruth B.
on 2/12/15 12:30 am - Midlothian, VA

I have terrible osteoarthritis - in every joint! In terrible pain everyday without being able to take anything for it since surgery 3 weeks ago. What kind of exercise are my arthritis buddies doing? Have neurogenic claudication in lower back and can't walk far without numb feet, leg and feet cramps and nerve pain. So, can't go walking, etc. Ruby

NYMom222
on 2/13/15 11:23 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I also have terrible osteoarthritis. On rough days I do a stretching routine in the morning to loosen myself up that I learned from Physical Therapy. Hot showers and baths help too. I usually exercise in late afternoon as that is when things are moving easier. I do walk sometimes around the mall by me. Mostly in this cold weather I turn on the timer, Pandora radio 80's cardio music channel and just dance. I also have one of those trampolines so sometimes I walk or dance on that, easier on the joints. Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Ruth B.
on 2/13/15 9:17 pm - Midlothian, VA

Thanks for the suggestions! There are some in there I haven't thought of so appreciate it. I've used a trampoline a little in the past, although I don't own one,and I'll look for the Pandora station. Thanks again!

Mstay1985
on 2/25/15 5:58 am - Birmingham, AL

I am glad to see that someone else uses dance as exercise. I am hoping to start my wls journey in May when my Medicare starts. I have been saving a little every month to pay for the 20 percent that Medicare does not cover. I went to a wls seminar for a doctor that I think will work well for me this past Saturday. I was a little worried at how much they stressed exercise and walking or recumbent bike. I tried recumbent bike in the past and hurt as much as walking. I don't know if I have a specific type of arthritis because all my doctors just see my weight and say I need to lose. I am over 600 lbs possibly close to 700 now and I am only 5' 2". I take so many Otc pain pills that I know it is dangerous. However, the doctor doesn't seem to understand how severe the pain is. I don't even bother to go for regular check ups because they say the same thing. Eat better. I tried eating less but was told that I was starving my body because a person my weight needs more calories and should just exercise more. On days when I feel a moment of not being close to collapse (my right hip and knee are often weak and feel like they will give out), I turn on either pandora or YouTube if I want to see home dance exercises and try to just move for as long as I can even if it's while sitting on the side of my bed. I also agree that afternoon is better because I can barely move when I wake in the morning.  While I am worried that I will not lose weight as well as others that can exercise, I am determined to use the wls surgery as a tool to help me and do my best. I love this forum. I think I will start going to support group for my wls surgeon in the next few months as well. It is good to speak to someone that understands how weight can control your life. It is not about being thin or skinny (not even sure if it's feasible with my genetics) it's about being healthy enough to take a deep breath or walk to the front door without fear of legs giving out from the weakness and pain. 

Sorry that was so long and I highjacked your thread.

NYMom222
on 2/25/15 6:43 am
RNY on 07/23/14

First I want to say, good for you for moving forward. There are people on here that In have seen lose 300 pounds. There is a 50+ BMI forum as well. I was pushing 400lbs when I started. The weight loss will make your joints feel so much better. I hear you about going to the doctor... Everything is always attributed to your weight.  Please consider Gastric Bypass or Duodenal Switch. Many Docs don't do DS, but both these procedures have malabsorption as well as restriction, and when you have a lot to lose the malapsorbtion helps. This is  a good article.
http://www.stonehearthnewsletters.com/obesity-chronic-diseas e-largely-biological-causes-cannot-cured-just-diet-exercise/ medical-errors/

Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

Save

Save

Mstay1985
on 2/25/15 6:55 am - Birmingham, AL

I saw the 50BMI forum and was encouraged. My doctor does not do the duodenal switch. I'm going bypass. I was going to look for one that does the ds instead. However, I'm told that this usually leads to more chance for problems healing. I had my gallbladder out in 2009 and took a month instead of a week to heal. It still feels funny now. I'm sort of worried about that. It does have higher weight loss on average though. I know of another doctor that is supposed to be good and does it. I will continue to research to see what's best for me.

NYMom222
on 2/25/15 7:06 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I had the bypass and have been very happy with it.

Save

Save

chevtow41
on 5/19/15 12:05 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Another thought on your choice -- with DS you aren't limited on NSAID's. That played a part in my decision.

lking
on 7/30/15 2:13 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I don't believe Medicare will cover a DS.  I, too, had to wait until I could go on Medicare to have surgery.  I turned 65 just this June and have begun my "journey".  Before going on Medicare I did extensive research on the various Medicare supplement plans.  I chose a Plan F ($122/mo) as it pays the remaining amount of Medicare covered items, including the deductibles.  My surgery is not going to cost anything out of pocket.  Also, if you don't already know this...once you are on Medicare you are automatically approved for surgery if you have comorbidities.

Orygunfarmgirl
on 5/19/15 11:55 am

Good Luck with your surgery. It is a very big step. I'm very happy you're headed that direction. It won't be easy and will take awhile to lose the weight. I had to tell myself I didn't put it on all at once and I won't lose it all at once. Just keep your chin up you can do it. Your health will be great and you'll get off all those damn pills (my happiest thought!)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 94 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2331 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3538 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4803 views