Question For My RN's or People Who Know RN's

Mere
on 12/3/08 6:22 am - st louis, MO
I am thinking of a career change and wanted some advice.  Does everyone that is a succesful RN have a BSN or do any of you have your Associate's?  I am weighing options on which would be better overall for me, and I have been hearing several pros and cons of each and I was told it is harder to find a nursing job without a bachelor's degree and those that are out there pay very little and have no room for advancement.  I figured I better ask my peoples cause y'all would give it to me straight.

Thanks,

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. 
Deman
on 12/3/08 7:01 am - Gainesville, FL
Hi Mere, I am a RN ASN. In fact I am a RN certified in psych and currently working as the weekend supp. MY boss is also a ASN. BSN are good but don't open anymore doors . Most places here in fla. don't pay more for BSNS. Thier is a nursing shortage and U can find a job anywhere. Good luck.
                                            Deman
hershey dream
on 12/3/08 8:09 am - Duluth, GA
Hey Mere,

I'm currently in an ASN Nursing program.  There will always be a demand for nurses, the difference in pay between an ASN and BSN is not a lot (if any).  Having a BSN may give you an advantage in going for a managerial position.
Life is not about making it through the storm....but learning how to dance in the rain.      
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/08 8:11 am
I'm a BSN.  A few of my jops paid slightly more for a BSN vs ASN, however the nursing shortage is so great now that I truly don't thhink it matters much unless you're looing to headd straight into management.

If I were you I'd go the associates route. Many universities are now offering an RN to BSN program that is an accelerated track if having a bachelor's is important to you. 

Good luck!
Zakiya
on 12/3/08 9:02 am - Over-the-rainbow, OH

I am a BSN RN that said if you you only want to give patient care ASN or BSN are equal in pay and job responsibilities. HOWEVER, anything outside of that would require that you have a BSN. If you decided you wanted to be an APN (Advanced Practice Nurse) nurse midwife,nurse practitioner or nurse anesthesia you would be REQUIRED to have a BSN..... and it is with these career choices that the MONEY gets better. 

A BSN will give you more options but BOTH will prepare to give good bedside care.

I LOVE nursing and would not consider doing anything else

GOOd Luck  

SoulSister in Appalachia
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 180 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1125 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2011 views