Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clots) ......please read!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/08 3:30 am
Hello BAF,

Its been awhile since I've been on the board needeless to say I've been going thru.  I thought I would take a moment to share my experience so no one else goes through what I've recently gone through.  Its gonna be a long one, but I will try to be brief.

I had the lap band procedure on 7/28/08; took off a couple weeks to heal; during this time I experienced pain in my left shoulder & all along my left side; most times after I had eaten.  My physician said it was gas, so I dismissed the pain.  I began to also experience pain & discomfort in my stomach I was advised I needed to have my gallbladder removed.  On 11/5/08 I had my gallbladder removed; I stayed at home & took my pain meds.  Periodically I had the same type of pain on my right side, once again I dismissed it as gas. (My surgery was on a Wed, the following Monday which was only 5 days later) I began to have pain in my legs all the way up to my stomach.  I once again dismissed the pain & thought oh, its just muscle spasms.
I went to the Dr. the following day to have my staples removed, I told my Dr. about the pain in my legs and he told me I needed to move around more & walk.  The next day on Wed; the pain had moved up into my back, all along the right side, it was difficult to breath & I felt like this is the worst gas pain I have ever felt.  I tried to take gas ex and self medicate myself; but the pain would not go away; on Thursday, I called my doctor, he told me to go to the ER immediately.  I was admitted immediately and told I have "blood clots" in both lungs.
I had to stay in the hospital for 6 days. 
Im Blessed, it could have been worse......I could have checked out of here....To God Be all the Glory..
Please if you experience any type of pain after surgery, whether it be major or minor, get it checked out. Dont do as we often times do, self diagnose.  Everything is not gas.
Im certain my clots began forming after the lap band surgery which was in July.
If I would have remained home that Thursday, the Dr. told me the clot could have burst and KILLED ME!!
In addition being overweight and taking birth control pills contribute to the possible chance of clots forming especially after surgery!
Im now on blood thinners for the next year & I have to be careful anytime I go under the knife.

Everyone after surgery please MOVE AROUND dont stay in the bed all day, like I did.

Blessings, Ms. Nisey
Faith *
on 12/3/08 3:38 am
Nisey,

I am glad that you pulled through okay.  I know that I am guilty of self-diagnosing.  Take care of yourself.

People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. ~Author Unknown

A NewTay
on 12/3/08 3:39 am
I'm glad everything turned out ok for you.  Blood clots were one of my biggest concerns after surgery.  Any little pain I had, I attributed it to possibly being a clot.  I made it my ritual to walk OFTEN.  My surgeon said he did everything possible so that clots would not be a factor.  Me not being on birth control was also a bonus.  I hope your story will help others.  Again, glad you came through it all fine

TRUE LOVE DOES NOT COME BY FINDING THE PERFECT PERSON BUT BY LEARNING TO SEE AN IMPERFECT PERSON PERFECTLY 

"If you want to go forward, you put the car in D. If you want to go backward, you put the car in R." ~ President B. Obama

lana203
on 12/3/08 3:41 am - Detroit, MI
Thanks for sharing.  Sorry you had to go through such a scare.  I'm glad you are doing better.
Mrs.Ripley
on 12/3/08 3:48 am
Thank you for the reminder that blood clots can be a complication of any surgery. My surgery is coming up soon and I will definitely be more aware of any unusual pain symptoms.
Jus ChanJ N ME
on 12/3/08 3:49 am
Wow, thank God that you are alright Ms. Nisey.  Take care of yourself sweetie.

In my opinion Beachbody has THE very best weight loss products around.  Would you like to join me on my P90X Journey? Please click the link below to Join My Team or to learn more about the products: 

http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/juschanjnme

* Amanda *.
on 12/3/08 3:55 am - Chicago, IL
I am sorry you had to go thru that. I am happy that you made it through. This was a fear of mine as well. My father had blood clots this year as well as my SIL (hers were in her lungs too) and neither of them even had surgery. I will keep you in my prayers.
Its_My_Season
on 12/3/08 4:08 am - IL
Nisey,

I'm so glad you are here to give your testimony. I will keep you in my prayers.

mstanyat
on 12/3/08 4:15 am
Nisey- that was one thing my surgeon stressed. 3 days after my surgery i was on the way to the ER because i was having pains in my left leg and i paniced, Thought it was clots. It is indeed a scary thing. anyone *****ads this post who is still pre-op understand that clots is a serious thing , after surgery you must walk, walk, walk... God bless u Nisey. I'm glad all is well

Highest weight 302...Current weight...183
an official member of "The Onederland Club"

Motown's Finest
on 12/3/08 4:19 am - MI
Thank God you kept on them, and you are doing better..
"Criticism like rain should be gentle enough to nourish man"      
" I'm Motown's Finest and I approve this message"   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 177 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1122 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2004 views