Soul Food???

JazzyOne9254
on 11/21/14 4:08 am

Since many of us on this forum grew up with what is known as "Soul Food" whether it be Mama's or Big Momma's - I'm curious as to how many continue to eat soul food post-op?

Are there any that your new digestive system just can't handle? 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/22/14 9:09 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I'll eat soul food, but I haven't had any since surgery. I had the vsg so I haven't really had any issues eating anything. I really only eat my moms soul food & she hardly cooks any of that anymore except on special occasions like Thanksgiving & Christmas, even so with me trying to get all my protein in first I really wouldn't have any room for her collard greens, but I sure as hell will bring some home though!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

JazzyOne9254
on 11/23/14 4:03 am

1lasttime-

I love the preparation as well as eating it.  All the recipes were learned in my late Mom's kitchen, and over the years, I've added my own touches to make them mine.

I have no family of my own, and most of my relatives are gone, so I'm kind of sad that the traditional recipes end with me.

sor09
on 12/8/14 3:13 pm

Yup. I use the teaspoon rule. Taste with a teaspoon... no need to full up like its last supper. When eating more, I measure out what I'll eat using the different capacity cups... easier than a scale. I take my time to make sure I am tasting my food.. no food eating contests. In the beginning I could not do this, it was a lot less of any foods, but post op almost 2 years I taste things and that is enough. Food is just to live, even at a celebration.... we are celebrating life.

kwashington09
on 12/15/14 4:39 am

I stay away from all the desserts but I will sample my favorite 2-3 items only  one teaspoon though. So for Thanksgiving I had a teaspoon of dressing, mac and cheese, and potato salad at Thanksfiving dinner and some turkey. I did not eat any desserts or eat any Thanksgiving food again next day or later that evening. So i was able to enjoy the delicious food without straying from my meal plan. I was still able to lose 2 pounds during the Thanksgiving weekend.

meka33319
on 12/17/14 8:08 am

I'll be honest with you I don't have the craving for soul food like I used to. Mainly because if its cooked properly its way to rich like macroni and cheese the noodles are to dense and to much is cheese is bothersome. I will eat collard greens but very little. I still eat turkey if its nice and tender. The food I love the most now is seafood, i eat it like crazy. I have been 2 years out seafood allows me to keep my weight down and I don't have issues after eating it. i hope this helps.  

JazzyOne9254
on 12/21/14 7:08 pm

meka33319 -

I think Buffalo fish, Catfish and Perch fried in cornmeal fall into the soul food category, you can even bake or broil Catfish if you want to,  Whiting is good either fried or baked, too.  I also grew fond of Gar when I was living in Wisconsin many years ago, and fresh off the boat Redfish and  shrimp when I lived in Louisiana.

meka33319
on 12/23/14 1:35 am

Now that sounds good, I don't car for fried foods anymore (which is amazing to me) but i love shrimp and especially whiting. Thanks for the tip I appreciate it !!!

MylesM
on 1/20/15 4:25 am - GA

The 17th of Jan will be 4 years for me. Ive lost about 140lbs. I pretty much eat what I want, then again I can only eat so much. my biggest miss is I eat when I want and feel the need. Sadly theres so much that I use to love that I can't Stomach (No Pun) any longer. Back in the day, I would put plates away. Now is a different thing. Best of luck to you. 

JazzyOne9254
on 1/20/15 4:19 pm

Belated Happy Surgiversary to you! The 17th of January was my birthday!  I tried for my DS (duodenal switch) to be on that day as well, but it was February 25th, 2009.   I'm coming up my 6th surgiversary.

I could put it away back in the day myself, but it seems I eat more now than I did when I was SMO. 

As you probably already know, the DS is very malasorptive, and it stays that way for life.

I now use a salad plate as a dinner plate, and while I probably am not eating more in volume, I am positive I am taking in more in protein calories, and just calories, period.  While I have to be aware of protein, I also need to eat more to maintain my weight, since I'm only absorbing about half of what I eat. 

Many don't like the DS because of the strict attention that has to be paid to getting nutrients in, especially when it comes to the vitamin regimen.

I lost my first 200 pounds in the first year.  57 more came off gradually over the second year post-op, and a few more over the next several years. I dipped a little below my PCP's loss limit for me, but I worked to get my weight back up.   I would rather have it this way than worry about dealing with regain. 

The one thing the DS has freed me to do...eat like a normal person!  Food without fear!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 165 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1113 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 1989 views