Regaining after 7 years post op gastric bypass: Support and advice needed

sonya_mckinzie
on 2/7/15 3:02 pm - Duluth, GA

It has been a long time since I have been here on this site. I have gained about 40 lbs over the past year and a half and find that I am having a challenge with my old ways. I am seeking guidance from my fellow gastric bypass friends. If anyone has a story of regaining weight after the procedure and have since lost weight independently, please provide any guidance that you have.

Always, 

Sonya

Chicago.Candy
on 2/10/15 10:17 pm

The same thing has happened to me. I am so embarrased. I have regained about 35 lbs in the past several years. Yesterday I started fasting to see if that helps. 

Trying to figure out how to reverse this weight gain.

HW309/SW294/LW199/NEW CURRENT:230 NEW GOAL:195

Life is what you make it - So make it AMAZING!
CC

sonya_mckinzie
on 2/10/15 11:22 pm - Duluth, GA

Hi there!

It should not be embarrassing because think about where you started from. One thing I have found recently is that my body has been releasing too much cortisol which causes cravings of starches, sugars, as well as prevents sleeping well at night. The bad habit I have developed is eating those bad things at night when everyone else is sleeping. I have had insomnia for about 4 yrs now at least since my daughters birth. Lately I have been working with my dr to resolve this issue with my adrenals and cortisol release. I am also taking phentermine which is not helping much. I have only lost 9 lbs since Dec. That said, I am planning to see if a nutritionist can assist me here with this eating issue.

And I would not advise fasting because it might make your body go into starving mode which could result in even more weight gain. I recently purhcased the bariatric shakes and plan to drink those once or twice a day as a meal replacement. It is designed for pre and post op bariatric patients and has everything a full meal has in it. 

If you need support during your challenge with weight gain lets motivate one another. You can reach me directly if you like. I am Sonya as you can see and my email is [email protected]

We will work through this. Support through this was the purpose of my return here because there are LIKE people that can relate and help me. Dont be embarrassed. :) It happens, you are not alone.

pamhates2diet
on 4/16/15 9:17 am - lanham, MD

Hi:

i just oust read your post and w during how you are doing.  Did the shakes help?  I too had a regain and am looking for ways to get back on track.

One step, One bite at a time....

claryssa7
on 2/24/15 9:35 pm

Hello Sonya, 

I am so glad to see this post from you. I too am in the same situation.  I have gained approximately 40 pounds in the same amount of time and I am also having challenges.  At first I was embarrassed but I realized that it has been a long journey and I am happy that I am trying to catch myself before I get back to my initial weight.  

What is very interesting is your followup response to eating late at night and insomnia.  Same here, and I KNOW that is where a lot of my problems are coming from.  To top it off, I had an emergency full hysterectomy and trying to balance hormones and keep my weight down has been a huge issue.  

I am going to look into the bariatric shakes that you are referencing. 

Thanks
Clarissa 

kathygardner
on 3/2/15 1:59 pm - GA

I too am returning after a long hiatus. I've gained 30 lbs back since my surgery in 2006. What type of shakes are you referring to? I'm  back in the gym 4 days weekly and waiting for the weather to get a little warmer, then hitting the outdoor track. I was a little, I won't say embarrassed because of the weight gain but disappointed that I would allow myself to get there. I had  LOT of issues I was dealing with, marriage, graduating from college and working. Well, the marriage is shot,(good thing), no more stress. I graduated from college and working full time In my profession and happy.  Not struggling anymore, and peace has never felt so good. I still eat from a saucer, not plate and small portions.  Anyways, what do you recommend?

sonya_mckinzie
on 3/2/15 6:46 pm - Duluth, GA

So far you seem to be on a great start. I am referring to the bariatric shakes. My issue has been college, stress from fighting my daughters dad in court for child support, and working full time. I am on an emotional roller coaster which is never good. I congratulate you on your graduation. That is wonderful! 

stephanie507
on 4/24/15 3:58 am - so. plfd, NJ
VSG on 02/09/11 with

I am to dealing with a lot but I am going back to suregry from VSG to Bi pass.  The dr told me I am dealing Barrett Syndrom and other health issues.  So I am praying I will do much better in the long run.  My surgery date is July 31st. 2015.  

M. B.
on 3/5/15 3:24 am - WI

I'm glad to see this post. I too have gained about 40lbs since my post-rny lowest. Today is my 7 year surgiversary and I too am commiting to losing the 40lbs. It's reassuring to know I'm not alone in the challenge, but I certainly can relate to the embarrassment as I feel it every time I look at a recent picture. In addition to refocusing on high protein and no slider foods, can anyone share a calorie range/goal that they try to follow? 

In support to us all,

MB

Mhunt96
on 4/1/15 12:40 pm - Huntsville, AL

Hey guys im with u. i  had he  RNY 16 yrs ago ...life happened  and i got off track by moving to another state...now finishing grad school,  working 2 jobs, trying to plan a wedding, mercy!!  i really started to gain  when i went back to school. little sleep, late nights and eating way after 6pm ( the bad stuff too) . i was embarrassed 2.. i went from 275 day of surgery maintained 155 for about 8yrs.. now at 194 from 201.

now the good news ...  i took the  scale back challenge her in AL  to lose 10 lbs in 10 weeks.. the motivation from my coworkers is great.  i started getting to bed early .. and got back on my exercise schedule.. im doing T-25 morning and evening and trying to do better at meals.  however  nothing beats walking.. i used to walk 15mi a week and the weight melted away...im taking  y'alls adv and going back to basics and will try the shakes..guess what?  going to bed early will help with the cortisol levels..

thanks for the encouragement

Lisa

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 180 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1124 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2008 views