Which Surgery Do you Think?

ebonymc
on 8/3/15 7:59 pm, edited 8/6/15 9:38 am

Hello all, I've been around on other sites but have decided to post this question. I know the final decision is up to me, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out the best solution. Which one of these surgeries would you do if in my position. I'm 5'2", weigh 218, diabetic and on B/P meds. small from thighs down and large from waist up. I know that I can't spot reduce, but need to take my health into consideration. Please give me your feed back, Good or Bad! I forgot to mention that I've gotten rid of the band 1 year ago, and I'm deciding between RNY and the sleeve. Thanks

Baby1234
on 8/5/15 7:32 pm

Gastric Sleeve.Stay away from the Lapband.I am seeking a revision to a sleeve.

ebonymc
on 8/6/15 9:41 am

Thanks Baby1234!  I know the lap band is a hard pill to swallow. I got rid of it and still looking.

sor09
on 8/7/15 6:42 pm

I am pro RNY. No matter what you choose, remember, all WLS are serious. One is not better than the other, they just are different and people got one or the other mostly based on meds they need to take and post op meds they have to continue. Since my RNY, I lost all excess weight and a little more. Knowledge is power and check everywhere you can for the different points of view. I was taking insulin 3x a day, GERD, HBP, High cholesterol, bad knees and just hurting from the extra weight. My BMI was 50+ and today ranges in the low 20s. No meds post op. Good luck on your journey.

ebonymc
on 8/7/15 9:25 pm

I've heard that RNY and the sleeve both have good results, But I've also heard that you basically will lose more weight and faster weight  with RNY.  I don't have a lot of weight on, I'm more concerned about my diabetes. I once went in to talk to my Dr. about having RNY and when he left the room, his nurse told me "you're going to be super skinny, why don't you get the sleeve?".  Well, at that time my insurance wasn't paying for it but now they are. I'm just afraid of losing too much with Rny. I'm also afraid of acid reflux with the sleeve as well as living with my comorbidities. So I'm a little scared right now.

Baby1234
on 8/10/15 7:18 pm

Too skinny?Hah!Maybe I should go for the RNY.I gotta get this band out and a revision.I was thinking sleeve but bypass is a consideration.

ebonymc
on 8/11/15 7:30 pm

I should have gone with RNY to start with. But anyway, If I had a 100 lbs to lose now, It would be a no brainer.

Baby1234
on 8/11/15 7:40 pm

So what is the verdict?Sleeve or RNY?

ebonymc
on 8/11/15 8:40 pm

Well, I'm still undecided even after all this time b/c I have less than 100 lbs to lose. Maybe according to the BMI chart, but I only want to lose 65 lbs. Therefore, I'm leaning towards the sleeve.

White Dove
on 8/11/15 9:45 pm - Warren, OH

I had RNY at 195.  I am now 126.  It is a struggle to keep from regaining.  With RNY your weight loss will stop when your body is ready to stop losing.  You will not become too skinny.  At 5'2 my BMI is about 23.  Not skinny at all.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 180 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1124 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2009 views