MY RESEARCH ON GASTRIC SLEEVE PRO'S AND CON'S, CAN YOU GIVE ADVICE?

Sabreeus
on 3/30/17 3:20 pm

Hello, everyone, I have been subscribing to website been gone for a whiled now doing research on Gastric Sleeve before I was going to do Lapband not anymore. I know surgery is different from everybody. Just want to know anybody had any regrets or bad side effects from surgery.Really would love to known. Thank you

msmarrie
on 4/9/17 12:49 am

Why did you decide against the Lap Band?

Sabreeus
on 5/2/17 8:41 am

I guess because people were saying how they didn't lose weight on it or hit a point only lost 50 lbs no more. I have and cousin who did it she lost 89 lbs in a year. that was over 5 years ago. she still nice thick size but not the way she used to look. Thank you for asking.

Elliot413
on 5/1/17 8:02 am
VSG on 07/12/16

I had gastric sleeve surgery on July 12, 2016. Nothing but rave reviews. I was 405 before pre-surgery diet. 385 at surgery time. By November 1, 2016 I had reached 295. I am currently experiencing a plateau at 288. I need to go back to low/no sweets.

I no longer take any medication for diabetes, high blood pressure, or cholesterol. I also no longer suffer from sleep apnea. My skin issues are minimal BUT you must, with any surgery - INGEST CONSISTENT PROTEIN ABOVE WHAT THEY RECOMMEND, STAY HYDRATED AND TAKE HIGH QUALITY LIQUID VITAMINS WITH A CALCIUM AND IRON SUPPLEMENT. I can make specific recommendations. Without this, you will suffer hair loss, more skin sag, fragile bones etc.

I suffered two hair line fractures while exercising BEFORE I began taking the liquid calcium.

Sabreeus
on 5/2/17 8:46 am

Thank you for your true honesty, I have issues with Iron deficiencies. I was feeling like maybe this won't be good but I have to lose weight for health issues. I went to seen Hemoglobin doctor they said they treat a lot of people with blood disorders because of the weight loss surgery depraves iron and vitamins and proteins from the body. I am praying on still strive to work on it naturally until I get proper insurance for help. Thank you so much for sharing.

OutsideMatchInside
on 5/12/17 8:35 pm
VSG on 07/15/15

I have not had any surgery side effects. The side effects I have experienced are what anyone would experience losing a lot of weight in a relatively short period of time. Hormonal issues, and a lot of emotions.

I was 358 on the day of surgery July 15, 2015, and I am around 187 right now.

I could lose weight before but I could never get below 300, I would plateau and quit trying.

I reverse my diabetes, I lowered my blood pressure, the arthritis that was in my knees doesn't bother me anymore. I feel in general amazing and about 15 years younger.

i had my sleeve at the perfect time in my life, and my recovery has been perfect. I am beyond thrilled with my results. The only cons I have are cons anyone who is morbidly obese and loses half their weight would have.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

Sabreeus
on 5/23/17 10:28 am

Thank you for your message this help me more to see that everybody have their own experiences through this journey. I have been doing research on different things to expect, I am going to just pray ask God to give me the strength to make the best choices when it comes to surgery also eating, mental being prepaid the way I see food and exercise. I really need to start working on eating less and what to eat not to eat, measurements, proteins and vitamins and so much more before surgery.Thank you so much again.

goodygosh
on 5/28/17 3:48 am

hi, what are the cons?

Still considering surgery, so ll info would help!

SassySis718
on 5/28/17 9:52 am
RNY on 04/19/17

Hi! I just had RNY a little over a month ago. I chose it over the sleeve because of the benefits to me with potential health concerns. My program actual does not do the lap band any more b/c it hasn't proven successful for most.

I was excited about surgery, not nervous. After I was fine for the most part, I wasn't able to go home with narcotics b/c of oxygen issues when I was asleep; and my blood pressure went up post-surgery. Going home on just Tylenol was fine b/c I wasn't experiencing surgical pain, and wasn't on it for long. I did not have pre-existing BP issues, so everyone was confused, they put me on medication for 2 weeks, it was back to normal in that time. My body was just reacting to the surgery briefly.

Outside of the medical piece, I was getting in the protein during the liquid stage but it was difficult since I was never a big lover of dairy which is where the most protein is. I recommend finding a protein option that isn't dairy based like Protein2O or Syntrax Nectar.

Around weeks 2-4 I would have moments of "buyer's remorse," which is normal. I would think what have I done, even though I knew why I did it. I have little white boards up, one in kitchen for food goals, one in bedroom with all the reasons I did go through with this. As I get more energy and more active, those thoughts have been less. Also be realistic and know your results will be different from others. Everyone told me I would looks LOTS of weight in first month, and I didn't, but that was my body moving at a rate that's best for me. Just work the plan your doctor/program gives and know your journey will not be identical to others. The benefits of the surgery outweigh all else.

Transfiguration
on 8/8/17 6:46 pm - Somewhere in time, SC

I have had RNY, which is very drastic. It totally changed my life, however. I have to very careful with my nutrient intake and anemia. If given the choice now, I would probably have a gastric sleeve procedure. Let me say, that Its all about following the rules stringently and loving yourself through the whole process of weight loss. Best wishes,

Cheri

Keep on climbing, Till I reach the higher ground

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 180 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1125 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2011 views