2 Years Out and I Need Help!

Mary M.
on 10/31/11 12:41 am - Minneapolis, MN
Sorry to bring this here, but I don't know who can help and I know this group understands.

I came to WLS with lots of hope and my wt. topped out at 423, my height is 5' 6".  I had the RNY end of Sept. 2009 started at 399 and lost 115 pound to 284 in the first year.  I have been stuck ever since.  I graze and eat sweets and carbs.  (If you are reading this and are new to WLS - DON'T do this - big mistake).  Now my weight is creeping back on.  I'm fluctuating up to 300.

Exercise is limited, due to mobility (foot and knee issues), but I am riding my exercycle now and TRYING to minimize the between meal snacking.  My meals are not a problem, I still stick to protein first and eat only a small meal.  it's between meals I have the problems.  I want to eat everything in sight - crackers, salty stuff, sweets.  I know the surgery is not the panacea, but I wanted it to be.

My sister is having vsg next week in Mexico and I'm going with her and want to be a good influence.  My husband had the rny 6 months after me and is under his goal (doesn't exercise, but isn't much of a snacker).

I'm going to be 60 in December and I want to go into that decade feeling and looking better.  It feels good just to talk about it.    Thanks for listening!

Mary
Mary

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you CAN do."  John Wooden

I'm down 120 pounds - thanks to RNY!  Working on the next 25.  Then I'll tackle more...
Mary M.
on 10/31/11 3:27 am - Minneapolis, MN
I'm doing better since posting. I know what I have to do. USE my tool, focus on protein, get my water in and move my butt!!! I'm being kind of half-way about it lately, but today realized I need to be FULLY ENGAGED. So far today, in spite of surrounded by goodies, I'm doing better. Thanks.
Brenda C.
on 10/31/11 2:23 pm
Mary,

I feel your pain.  I am eleven months out & keep wondering why I am not further - the answer - ME.

When you feel like grazing, what about chewing gum?  I LOVE the mint flavor, and it makes all food tast icky.  Hey, it's simple, but it may help.

Those of us on the over 50 BMI can relate, and we are here for YOU - keep your mood up, try to look at the positive -- exercycle is better than just couch surfing!  Hang in there, you know how to use your tool, maybe you just need a refresher course???

Do you attend a support group???

HUGS!
Brenda : )~
Mary M.
on 11/1/11 12:30 am - Minneapolis, MN

Thanks, Brenda.  It means a lot to me that you responded and I read your care in the post.   I will try the gum, along with some other things.  I need to give up sweets - they just lead me to want more.

Yes, the exercycle is good  - I did it 4x last week, 20-25 minutes at a time.  Trying to work up to 30 and 5-7 times.  That's what my doctor recommended.

I am in a support group - Saturday morning coffee group, but it has become more social than anything.  Also haven't been to the clinic's aftercare group in a couple of months.  I'll plan to go to the November session.

Again, thanks.  Today I am feeling more resolute and the candy is out of the house and in a different area at work!

Mary

Mary

I'm down 120 pounds - thanks to RNY!  Working on the next 25.  Then I'll tackle more...
InkdSpEdTchr
on 11/1/11 5:33 am
MARY! It's good to see your face around here, I'm glad you are posting for accountability. I've got some of that to do myself.

I had a bad injury this summer, and I let myself give in to sweet carby temptations that have dragged that number on the scale in the wrong direction....

But like you, I'm vowing to get back on track. I've got a plan and I'm de-carbing for a while, because they are so addicting!!

I wish you lots of support and esp. on those days when you just don't want to exercise- do it anyway :)

Keep up the good fight!

:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Mary M.
on 11/1/11 7:12 am - Minneapolis, MN
Wow!  thanks, Danni!  You are one of the people I knew had the dedication and commitment.  Knowing you, too, could backslide kind of helps - as odd as that sounds.  We are and will always be carb lovers - it's not unusual and we didn't get that size eating carrot sticks!  Habits are always lurking and ready to ambush us, if we let them.

Like you, I've re-committed.  My carbs MUST have a protein component (or be fruit or veggies).  It is helping to be strict with myself.  We'll see if i can keep it up and have the scale go the right way.  Adding the routine of exercycling is going to help.  Wish I loved it, but it's getting more tolerable.  Excuse to watch tv, which I try to limit.

Nice to be back.  and yes, I will do it anyway!!

Mary
Mary

InkdSpEdTchr
on 11/2/11 5:16 am
LOL! If Danni can backslide- than anyone can!!! Very true :) But Danni can also get back on track (which I am) and so can everyone else.

Glad to hear that your committed to exercise too- it's been my me time and I really credit exercise with keeping my muscle mass and losing pure fat.

HUGS!
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

WoolyBully
on 11/1/11 8:17 am - MI
Mary,

I am starting to plateau and wanting to graze all the time also.

The two biggest grazing triggers for me are TV and Driving. I am not sure I have any good answers on how to stop the craving. I have solved the 2 hour commute (one hour each way) by using that time for a protein bar or shake.

I still haven't figured out my late evening TV craving, other than just try my best to fight it. If I give in, lately I have been giving in with fruits and vegetables, grapes are my current favorite, but I still have to watch the portion size

Regarding exercise, what works great for me is a rowing machine. It keeps me off my weak ankles and involve both lower and upper muscle groups.

I know the advise has been lame, so the best I can do is offer encouragement. It sounds like you are back on the right track, so stay strong.

best of luck

Gary
WoolyBully
on 11/1/11 8:21 am - MI

Sorry, I missed a portion of my lame advise.

What I meant to add and somehow lost is;

Maybe you could see what your triggers are, and by identifying them, figure out a way to control them.

Brenda C.
on 11/1/11 10:52 am
Mary --

We all care about the others on OH, or we wouldn't be here to share!  Same goes for all my fellow "Over 50 BMI," I guess I feel a special bond - that we all are going through this TOGETHER!

Hang in there and just go back to square one!  My own advice I need to remind myself - three weeks to make or break a habit!

Damn those carbs, I too have fallen to my own temptations...  But we have the knowledge & power to do what is right for us -- pretty cool, if you ask me.

Hang in there!
Brenda : )~
Most Active