BMI under 40 finally

AsuraDunnigan
on 11/29/11 2:01 pm - Detroit, MI
well, finally i can report I am moving in the right direction.  Today I went to see my endocrinologist.  My A1C was 6.8 and although it has been lower in the past she was pleased.  All the blood work I had taken a couple weeks ago was great.  I was down to 231 lbs. BMI under 40 and although I know that is still over weight, it is definitely an improvement.  I have lost about 20 lbs since I was in her office this past July.  I am not scheduled to return until May 31st. 

I had diverticulitus a couple of weeks ago, which was a bummer.  I also began physical therapy for my cronic back/tailbone condition and my foot. (torn tendon).  I have not been working out at all.  I am in pain when I walk and when I am standing.  I thank everyday for the VSG, but ultimately I am in more pain now than pre op.

I am still wearing 16 pants and XL tops.  My measurements are about the same.  My lowest post surgery weight was 221 lbs, but that was just one day.  I am planning to reach my goals soon.  Taking the meds for ADHD has helped me tramendously.  I am no longer contantly focused on food and dieting.  Finally, I have been able to just relax and resist when needed and partake at other times.  I am very excited about the future.  Finally, really and truly hopeful.

It is very nice not to be the largest person in ther room all the time.  It is very nice to be able to shop in regular stores.  It is nice to be seen by people.  To be complimented daily, not just by people who knew me before, but also by strangers.  I'm complimented on my hair, make up, smile...  People give me eye contact now.  Men tell me that I am sexy.

I don't always carry the embarrassment with me; although I do take it with me sometimes.  I would do it all over again in the heartbeat.  My husband sometimes tell me that I don't resemble the person I was pre op.  He is referring to the confidence I have now.  Today, I take pride in my beauty.  I take time to look in the mirror, fix my hair, and apply make up.

Many times I don't tell people that I had WLS.  I know my surgery doesn't appear to be as successful as others.  I am overweight 2 years post op.  Often times I am feared that I will be viewed as a failure, but ultimately the weight loss has made such a wonderful difference in my life.  I am no longer jus****ching it pass by, but now I actually participate in my life. 

I prayed for a solution to my problem.  And my God has answered my prayers.  Thank you God.

Ticker represents first goal.          
skylark2011
on 12/1/11 12:36 am, edited 12/1/11 12:52 am
You are two years post op. You have kept off 83 pounds for two years! That is a great success. I am still early out and I am finding that there is more to this surgery than the weight loss, though that is the main reason we have the surgery. Congratulations for the weight you have lost so far, and congratulate yourself for keeping those pounds off!! I don't know your history, but do you know if your meds are interfering with the weight loss or stalling you at times? If that is the case, all you can do is take it one day at a time, and continue to be blessed. If you are eating sugars and/or eating too much high carb stuff in a day - like rolls, rice, potatoes...that will definitely slow up weight loss big time, but I know you know this already. Just do what you know you can do and whats been proven to work...what goes into our mouths and some form of exercise are things we can control now, even though we couldn't at one point in our lives. I am still very early out, but I could walk any day. Just do what you can do!! I know its cold in the D, but when we lived there I loved going down to the River Walk on the weekends to walk at a comfortable pace, thinking & reflecting, listening to music and just enjoying the water. Exercise doesnt always mean going to a gym or running a marathon! Its roller skating, dancing, bike riding, walking, even going sledding (you have to walk up the big hill afterall). Try something new and dont worry about what somebody else thinks. Pop in your earbuds and have a great time. It makes it fun!

HW: 351 SW: 344.5   5'10"  

Most Active