6 month diet and weight loss

Cards44
on 1/6/12 2:47 am - IL
VSG on 07/24/12
Hi Guys

I am getting ready to start month 2 of my 6 month diet.   I have been informed that this diet is not a race to see how much weight I can lose but to get me ready for changes after surgery.   I do need to lose about 15 lbs before surgery.   My question is I have incorporated several things in the first month of the diet and I am not sure but I think I may have lost 10+ LBS in the first month.  When I started about a month ago I had a BMI of a little over 60.   Should I be worried about the amount of weight loss at the start of this diet.

Thanks
Bob
InkdSpEdTchr
on 1/6/12 6:23 am
Are you afraid that if you lose too much weight, that you won't qualify for surgery? I don't know what Insurance you have, but most use the weight from your first consult with the surgeon or his/her center.

So, if that's what you're worried about- don't! Lose as much as you can, the more you lose now, the easier it will be for your surgeon to work on you. I was almost at a 60BMI and I lost 50lbs before surgery.

Good luck to you, keep following your plan!
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Brenda C.
on 1/6/12 11:51 am
Hey Bob,

The whole thing about the diet really is to help you learn new eating, better nutrition.  After surgery you REALLY need to make what you eat count.

The thing about wanting you to lose at least 15 pounds is to shrink your liver -- easier to work around laproscopically.  I had been on a 1200 calorie diet for almost TWO years, and glad I did it.  My body wasn't as shocked after surgery, as I was ramping down the last two months.

LEARN all you can about nutrition, I am amazed at the vast number of folks that didn't need or get some education prior to surgery. 

If you lose 20, 30, or even 40 pounds before surgery, you are doing your body a FAVOR.  To agree with the comment about losing too much -- no, they don't say, "Gee Bob, why do you need surgery, you can do this on your own..."  You are like many of us, over a 50 BMI, so there is a real need to reverse the path our bodies are/were headed down.

Start trying samples of protein drinks - so you don't spend money on something you'll be stuck with.  I am just over a year out and STILL drink Meal Replacement Drinks. 

Congrats on the first ten!!!
Brenda : )~
Lucky2talk2
on 1/6/12 3:32 pm - Renton, WA
Yes, what the others have said!! Do not worry, just lose. Start better habits and prepare physically and mentally now!!

Best wishes
Sherrie

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

acbbrown
on 1/7/12 7:13 am - Granada Hills, CA
The others pretty much nailed it. Use this time to start working on your relationship with food, your eating habits, etc. I highly encourage you to try and lose as much weight as posible during the 6 months. You want your body to be as healthy as possible to reduce any risks we have when we start with higher BMIs. Right after surgery, I was thrilled I had been working out so my legs were strong enough to compensate for my inability to use much of my core for a while.

I lost 85 lbs during the 10 months or so before surgery and appreciated every lb of it

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active