Is it possible to reach goal

Kat Kat
on 9/29/12 7:12 am, edited 9/28/12 9:08 pm - AZ

I'm almost 18 months out, and have almost 45 lbs left to lose. I've read about quite a few post-ops not being able to reach goal because their bodies found a spot they liked, and wouldn't budge beyond it. I realize the goal is more about becoming healthy, but I do need to get lower for the sake of my health. I'm sure the 18 month time frame isn't set in granite, but I have slowed down significantly, so I'm concerned I will hit a spot where I won't go any lower soon.

Kat

Edited to provide stats:

Height: 5' 2 1/2"
Current wt: 184.4 lbs
Goal: 140
Body frame: Petite

theshrinkingmimi
on 9/29/12 8:02 am
Most people don't really know where their body will or should stop.  If you have been 300+ pounds or overweight for years, what is the magic goal number?  People and their doctors really just guess. Some people go by bmi, but even that has a range. And studies show that bmi is not the best measure for  athletes with a lot of muscle or for certain races. Some people set a number and pass it, then set another number and then declare goal.  Others set a number don't reach it but are happy with where they stopped and then declare goal because their original may have been too low.  Whether or not you reach goal has a lot to do with what number you set. I've seen 40-somethings set goals based on their lowest adult weight or what they were in their twenties.

I set my goal below 200 before skin removal. Some others around my height have set it at least 20-30 pounds lower.  I'm happy with my current goal. I know that I am carrying an extra 15 pounds or so of skin that will be removed next summer. I also know that I am building a lot of muscle with my workouts. I will continue to lose weight, which is slower now, and after surgery see if I want to lose more.

Weight loss is supposed to be slower as you get closer to goal. That is true with or without surgery.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
stacy158
on 9/29/12 10:42 am - TX
RNY on 10/23/12
I'm still pre-op, but I've set my "realistic" goal at 240ish (I'm starting out over 400).  Of course, I'd be thrilled with anywhere in "onederland".  When I was at 240ish 8 years ago, I was in women's size 14/16, which is a size that again, I'd be happy with.  I'm not going to kill myself to get to a normal BMI that may not be right for me. 
Kat Kat
on 9/30/12 1:00 am - AZ
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Since I am still losing (albeit slowly now) perhaps I will be fortunate enough reach goal. I've read about so many post op****ting a place, and not being able to budge past it, that I was concerned this might be my fate. It seems only time, and vigilance to my plan will tell. I have been highly motivated throughout this process, so I am happy to know that it is sometimes possible.

Although on the surface when one sees that I have lost a significant amount of weight it isn't enough. I have a rare brain condition in which weight loss is my best shot at bringing it into remission. If it can't be controlled this way, and with medication, I am looking at the possibility of going blind along with a multitude of miserable symptoms to accompany it. Unfortunately, the weight I've lost so far has not been successful enough. There are also 2 surgical procedures that may be performed, but both are risky, and used as a last resort.

Kat

Phatchick
on 9/30/12 1:56 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
 Hi Kat,

I am 5.5 months out from surgery and have only lost 80 lbs total. 25 of which was before surgery. I have had some very long stalls and during the last 2 months have really upped my workouts. I worked out 14 hours last week and gained 1 lb.  I went to the dietician on Friday and she says I am not eating enough. She thinks my body is in starvation mode!?!?!?!?!? That's a new one for me. I was shocked to say the least.

I guess what I am trying to say is, this journey is a learning experience for all of us. We are learning to incorporate movement back into our lives, learning to eat the right way, and learning what our bodies need versus what they want. I have learned in a short span of time, that this is not a race but truly a life change. I do not care if it takes me a lifetime to get to goal. All I care about is getting there and staying healthy while making healthy lifestyles decisions. 5.5 months ago I would not have thought this. Back then I wanted the weight magically off and I could have cared less about movement and working out. 

My mind and body are more healthy. I am joyful because this journey has been so insightful.

Best,

Sharon

sleevegirl
on 9/30/12 2:07 am - Austin, TX
I think you can keep going and I think anyone can reach goal. It's just about comfort and where your comfort level is and what you're doing, willing to do, etc.

Hang in there. Keep going, slow is still moving!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

MrsPoppins
on 9/30/12 2:37 am
Hi Kat,
It is all so uncertain when we start. I had always been fat...school pictures from nursery school ( before they invented pre-school!) prove this. I had no idea what goal to set and since I started so high...374 I thought anything under 200 would be a win. They asked my goal weight and I pulled 150 out of the air. I am shocked that I have been maintaining 152 for the last 6 monthes. My body feels pretty comfortable here and I can still lose a few pounds when they sneak on. When I go back to the basics of protein, water and excerise I will always be able to lose. So will you. Not the crazy fast thing like at first, just the ordinary chip, chip, chip of the rest of the world. You can lose as much as you want! Really.

Height: 5' 6"
weight:152
Pant size 4!!!
Brenda C.
on 10/2/12 8:23 am
Hey Kat,

I sometimes ask the same thing, but remind myself HOW FAR I HAVE COME.  When I started this, I weighed 474 pounds, and I am facing my 2 year mark in mid November, I am still 100 pounds away from my goal.  We all slow, but that is when it becomes more of how willing we are to continue working toward a healthy life.

Hang in there, you aren't alone!

Brenda : )~
Most Active