Not comparing yourself to lighweights...

Fallenangel2904
on 1/15/13 2:41 pm - NY
VSG on 11/14/12

I wanted to bring this up on here because I know you all will understand where I'm coming from. I'm 2 months post op and I'm down 48lbs from surgery plus 20 pre op so 68lbs all together. I feel great and know I'm on the right track! Its just tough sometimes not to look at others who have had surgery around the same time as me who are already saying things like 'Almost in Onederland' and who have a much shorter journey then me. I mean I know this journey is different for ALL of us, but I guess when I see someone who has lost the same amount as I have and already really look small and have dropped 4 size...and then I look how I'm only down 1 size and am still 'big' It just gets frustrating. I don't want to come off mean like I'm angry for anyone's success because I am SO not and love to see people who have success with surgery but it's just psychologically rougher on us high BMIers I think. For me anyway. Some of the light weights have starting weights which are basically my goal numbers lol.

Anyone else have these moments?

Robin- Post Op- Surgery November 14th 2012
HW:379 SW:359 CW:272 GW:199

mickeymantle
on 1/15/13 2:46 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i got my hair cut the day after surgery and I have met my goal

who cares what others are doing as long as we feel better and are healthier

the light weights are the sprinters and where the marathon runners they will run out of steam long before us

you lost 68 lbs your doing great keep it up

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Fallenangel2904
on 1/15/13 2:51 pm - NY
VSG on 11/14/12

Thank you! :) I know you're right I guess sometimes I just have those little moments and I feel bad to even mention it because I don't want to sound mean. Just wanted to see if others have had those feelings. I feel great so far and know it's only gonna get better!

Robin- Post Op- Surgery November 14th 2012
HW:379 SW:359 CW:272 GW:199

mickeymantle
on 1/15/13 3:05 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

no sip problem sip where sip here sip if sip you sip need sip to blow  sip off sip steam

Lucky2talk2
on 1/15/13 3:20 pm - Renton, WA
This is and has been and will be something that is mentioned in this forum. Because it is understood. Not meant in a mean way to anyone... Just a fact. They were lucky enough to have surgery or a means to do something before getting bigger than where they started. It can be frustrating though, I guess that is why I tend to stay in this forum. I have been trying to get to "goal" since surgery 12-15-10. Yes, I will get there but with tons of patience and a lot of determination with follow through! This is a life long journey so I know if I stay aware and focussed in time I will see onederland and my goal! Keeping supports around me that are people going through similar things regarding weightless/WLS/ect.
You have lost a lot and will see your goal... Numbers go down... And many non scale victories (NSV's)!!!
You are in a great forum here!

Hugs,
Sherrie

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

sleevegirl
on 1/15/13 9:20 pm - Austin, TX

I really struggled early out with this, but I'm more accepting these days. It just is. Do you and celebrate their victories with them too. It's still tough. HUGS

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Phatchick
on 1/15/13 9:41 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

Hi Fallen,

I spent a ton of time in the VSG forum, before my surgery. I got invaluable advice that got me thru the first 8 weeks of my journey.

When I started experiencing what you are talking about, I looked for another forum and found myself here. I have been here ever since. I had nothing in common with the folks who hit onderland after losing 50 lbs or less. It was disheartening for me. i am home here. I am with people who feel me and who have either done what I need to do, or are doing it.

When people here pass me in the weight loss department. I am sincerely excited and happy for them because we all have different journeys. I did not feel that way in the other rooms.

I honestly am happy that their choices and cir****tances were better/easier than mine. But I prefer not to hear it over and over again

I love you gals for always having my back.

Sharon

Nathalie_Can
on 1/15/13 9:41 pm

I'm a person that sees the glass half full and the only thing that came to mind when people were already hitting onederland after 100 pound loss is that I was telling myself, I have so much more work to do then them, but THAT, will only make me stronger and MAYBE, just MAYBE more successful at it then after just a few months of this journey, took me more then 2 years already and (and haven't reached goal yet) I have came over so MANY obstacles that others would never come across being "lighter" and I probably didn't see some other stuff that the "heavier" went through.  As silly as it sounds, I cherish every single step that my mind played games with me etc because knowing what I went through now, I'm so much wiser as to understand why I eat and why I used to make dumb choices.  And all that was for what?  To satisfy a "feeling".  The mind is a powerful thing, what you decide to do with it, will let you be a success or not, you decide.

Don't get me wrong, I did the "man oh man, I have such a longer journey then them!" but that pitty-party only lasted a few hours.  and please, don't take what I just said as a negative thing to what you said, I totally hear you, and hear your emotions.

Hope the next week will be better for you!

Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

mickeymantle
on 1/16/13 1:29 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

was at the dietian yesterday and there was a girl that weighed 185 lbs and I thought she must be there for the yearly post op check up , no she was pre op , her highest weight was 215 lbs , I would die to weigh that but she was starting there

she was banded in the past but had problems with it , she said she was getting the sleeve because her diabetes was uncontrollable

she wants to get down to 100 lbs don't think I was that small in elementary school

but every one has there own needs so we should be happy for them and just talk here when we need help for like sized people

KimKinVA
on 1/16/13 5:27 am
RNY on 11/13/12 with

I know how you feel! I also see people who are hitting "Onederland" and are almost at their goal, and I feel a little envious. Even when I'm scrolling through the before and after photos, I will see someone's "before" picture and wish I could look like that! But then I try to remind myself that I am on my own journey and not to compare myself to other people's experiences.

Most Active