cross post...my date and fear

tia47
on 3/20/13 5:26 pm - cleve, OH
Hi all,
I have my date for first week in April. I will b a revision to sleeve. I've had my band 10 years. Ive kept off 170 lbs and still have 150/170 to lose. I have my UNJURY on the way, last of labs 28th and meeting with my surgeon. My fears are death on the table, nausea aft surg. I'm glad for this site.

T.
Phatchick
on 3/20/13 10:15 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

Honey,

You are not going to die on the table during surgery. Don't be afraid of that. I always figured it would be a marvelous painfree way to go..........but realistically it rarely happens. 

I LOVE my sleeve.

Congrats on the newest leg of your journey.

Hugs,

Sharon

KimKinVA
on 3/21/13 2:25 am
RNY on 11/13/12 with

Hi Tia,

Congratulations on moving forward with your weight loss journey! And that's awesome that you've kept off 170 pounds. I do think your fears are very normal. My surgeon reassured me that he has never lost a patient on the table. He said that when he has heard of deaths after bariatric surgery, it would be from a subsequent infection or blood clot. That's why they pump us with antibiotics at the time of surgery and encourage us to walk as soon as possible after surgery. After my surgery, they also put these wraps on my legs that applied gentle pressure, almost a massaging feeling, to keep the blood circulation going. Now you may have some nausea after surgery. When you meet with your surgeon, ask if he will be giving you a prescription for Zofran or other anti-nausea medication. Zofran helped me a lot after surgery. Good luck to you! I bet you'll do great.  -Kim

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/21/13 3:04 am

Hiya!

I'm not a sleever (RnY here), but some fear is common. For nausea, my doc prescribes an anti nausea med you take before surgery. I didn't have any nausea at all. When you go to see your doc, ask him what he does for nausea. Knowing his plan will help ease your fears.

There is risk with any surgery. But weight loss surgery is pretty safe. You can also ask your surgeon what his complication rate is. My RnY was a much easier recovery than my gallbladder removal, and the gallbladder surgery was still pretty okay.

I looked at it like this: There was a small chance I could die from surgery. But there was a great chance I would eventually die from all my comorbidities, and while they were slowly killing me, my quality of life would be crap.

Take heart. We are here for you.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

tia47
on 3/23/13 6:10 am - cleve, OH
Thank u ladies. I'm all those things...excited, anxious, fearful and blessed! I'm very blessed also to have found this group. I have a more difficult time in some ways identifying with those who need to lose 60 lbs. Tho I understand their battle, it's just different.
I'm not doing this to b a size 2...never happen. I want my health back and tho I am fairly healthy, I need to feel it.
I'm 5'8 and last weigh in was 343...I'm watching now so next time I c surgeon it'll b less. I'm prob more worried about the revision due to band coming out. I'm hearing varying opinions on 2 surgeries vs my surgeon choosing to do it in 1. I have complete faith...just makes me curious.
Thank u again,
T.
ow
Most Active