Blue jeans dont lie......

KatCooper
on 5/16/13 4:42 am - Collierville, TN

I am approaching 2 years out next month.  I have lost about 160 lbs.  We struggle so much with how much we weigh, what is the perfect weight,  when will I know if I am there and how often should I weigh.   I have watched my scale go up, down and sideways.....and it has driven me nuts. I always hear people say/type, you will know for SURE you have gained weight when your clothes tell you that you have.  Well, my blue jeans seem to be quite honest about the 10 lbs I gained.   Actually they get kinda pissed when I try to squeeze into them.  In all the time my scale was going nuts, my clothes never got tight, nada, not once.  They got looser and then fit but not tight, not like now.  Did I go out and by bigger clothes, heck no.   I took a look at what I was eating....carbs and crap and realized I was slipping back into VERY dangerous habits, diet coke being one of them.   The only reasons things aren't worse is because I work out consistently.  So, back to what I know is right, protein, NO diet coke (its really just toxic chemicals anyway) and whole foods.  It's amazing to me though how much I want to eat like "normal" people.  This does not imply healthy, but the crap that "normal" people eat.  Does that make sense?  Rationally, I know the diet most people eat, even thinner people is not healthy.  Still, it is something I think about.  

So, I will be back on Monday, weighing in with the most fabulous group on OH.  

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

sleevegirl
on 5/16/13 5:14 am - Austin, TX

You are doing great - and what I mean is that you are aware. No more head in the sand, right? I think that's the key to this whole crapshoot. Actually making sure you are aware of what you are doing. Good for you, proud for you! Get it!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/16/13 6:48 am
Ah yes, I get it. I had to have a little come-to-Jesus with myself about how I need to eat for loss and health versus what other people eat.
DH eats like a lumberjack. I had a brief period of envy about that. I had to remind myself that eating like a lumberjack is what got me to 314 with side orders of high cholesterol, triglycerides, bp, and apnea.
We equate thin with healthy, but size 6(or whatever) doesn't equal health. Wouldn't it be a trip if we had to buy clothes based on our cholesterol or how many flights of stairs we can climb?
So don't get down on yourself. We've all had slips. Nature of the beast.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

KittyKarin
on 5/16/13 10:19 pm - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

I can definitely identify with your want to eat like a "normal" person.  That has always been a huge factor in my weight regain after losses, especially in my early 20s.  I wanted to be like everyone else and go out at night and be with friends rather than going to the gym.  I wanted to eat pizza and Doritos at my friends house and not worry about calories or healthy food. I would diet strictly and lose weight, start to feel confident and decide I could reward myself by eating what everyone else was eating for a while... they were thin, right?!?

I have a friend who has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 14. He always talks about how he wishes he could be like "normal" people and not have to deal with blood sugar, insulin pumps and glycemic episodes.  In college, he had some very close calls with his health because he was trying to be like the rest of his friends and not worry about that stuff... so I guess there is comfort in knowing that obese people arent the only ones who struggle with not being the norm.

I live in a house with extreme unhealthy eaters... and I was happy up until 4 months ago to be one of them.  My stepsons and husbands live on junk food. It's all around me and I am slowly trying to incorporate changes and switch out the dozen donuts and family size bag of chips for bananas and veggies but I know it will take time.  Sometimes I see them eating those things (especially pizza, pizza is my fave) and I get really jealous that none of them, even my husband, has ever had a weight problem. In fact, the youngest is really underweight!!  It's so unfair!  My husband is almost 40 and he eats whatever he wants and his weight never goes above 200.  But he isn't healthy and I've been talking to him about that. Hopefully, with the changes I am making, they will start to carry over to the rest of my junk food junkies in this house.

You have done such an amazing job and sometimes we all let our guard down. Great job on recognizing the issues and getting back to it!!

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Phatchick
on 5/24/13 10:23 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

Kat,

Good for you, for seeing what we never used to want to see prior to surgery.

I went thru a bad period late this past winter that really almost did me in. I realized quickly,  I needed to get myself in check and did. I also am seeing a therapist to deal with my issues.

I am so proud of you. You, Alison and Candy have always been my role models and the 3 of you still are.

Bless you on this journey.

Hugs,

Sharon

KatCooper
on 5/25/13 1:26 am - Collierville, TN

Awww, what a really nice thing to say!!!  :-)    Its just so hard to really grasp that the first year or so is such a gift.  I am not going to say easy, because it's not.  BUT,  I really wasn't prepared to be able to eat the way I can, or rather around my tool.  It is a constant thing.  Hugs to you and congrats as well and getting through your rough patch!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Most Active