walking and back pain

sarahpillars2728
on 5/23/13 9:15 am - MI

I have a dilemma I need to get some kind of walking in I currently feel like im being ripped in half after walking only thirty or so steps. I dont know what to do if someone has any suggestions please pass them along, I can even walk in the grocery store with a cart for support and I really need to keep active I now weigh 503.2 pounds, its hard enough getting around I dont want to gain more weight

sandra mary correia
on 5/23/13 9:39 am - Canada

try water fitness it may help for about 20 mins a day

themexcellentone
on 5/23/13 12:42 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Can you go to a swimming pool and walk in the pool?  That will relieve the pressure on your knees and is just as good (if not better) than walking on dry land. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

mickeymantle
on 5/23/13 4:14 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I had similar pain and balance problems when I weighed 410 I now go to the pool 6 days a week for aqua arthritic exercise class and water arobics classes I can now walk much better also lost 60 lbs and was also a big help

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

acbbrown
on 5/23/13 6:12 pm - Granada Hills, CA

If you have access to a pool, that is a good place to start to being getting more activity. That's where I started. WHen I started walking, I would literally go to the gym for all of 15 minutes  - and that included the time it took me to check in, get to a TM and walk at 2.0mph for 10 min. It was all I could do. The key is do what you can. If it's 30 steps - that's awesme. Do 30 steps. And make a goal to each week add 5 -10 steps. Week by week you will start being able to walk a little further. The key is not to exercise for WL purposes necessarily, but to start moving your body, building some strength and endurance, so that way you can start exercising as you lose a little weight. It's a process - that's for sure. YYou will have to be patient. 

I think generally speaking - weight loss is usually 80% diet, 20% exercise, though you will see many people on the forum who never do any exercise and get to goal (and granted, they maybe only lost 80-100 lbs so take it for what it's worth).  But, diet is the absolute most important part. 

When I was 420 lbs and I decided to start losing weight, I was able to lose a good 2-3 lbs a week eating 2000 cal a day because my body mass supported that kind of intake. 2000 cal is a very reasonable place to begin - I know you might feel lost and feel like you starting an uphill climb, but knowledge is going to be your greatest power. Learn as much as you can about nutrition, the way the body processes different nutrients (carbs vs fats vs protein) and come up with a plan that will work for you. I dont know what your diet is like now, but I slowly changed my diet because I couldn't go cold turkey. I started by cutting out my absolute pitfalls - fast food and pizza. Once I got a grip on cooking a little more and finding altneratives to my lazy drive through ritual (and those alts were not always good choices but always better than pizza/fast food) - then I started cutting out the booze, liquid calories and over time cutting out candy. I started adding healthy things like fruits/veggies, and then finally started making most of my meals and snacks healthy choices. It was a slow evolving process but it really changed my habits and my life. 

I know I went on a little bit of a ramble here but im high on pain meds so forgive me :-p   Please please let me know if there's anything I can help you with or if you have any questions. YOU CAN DO THIS. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Kathy-cny
on 5/24/13 12:52 am - NY
VSG on 06/25/13

Hi, I am also in the same boat....so I got the ambition up and found an aqua Zumba class at a gym nearby, held my head up high and walked straight in and headed for the pool....I am now on my 3rd week if class and addicted....I can actually feel like I am running in place in the pool! I don't think I have ever ran before, or at least since gym class in 7th grade...look into it and you may be surprised

Kathy     HW-393/Surgery weight-368/ weight post op 374 /current weight 292.5

mickeymantle
on 5/24/13 1:06 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

when I weighed 410 lb my endocrinologist  told me that I needed 2500 cal to maintain and that to loss I should eat 1800 cal ,my nut put me on 1200, I checked with the endocrinologist and he said 1200 was fine , I lose   around 5-7 lbs a month

I also go the the pool and walk 6 days a week for 1-2 hours and walk around Costco on the 7 th day

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

sarahpillars2728
on 5/24/13 2:41 am - MI

Thank you all so much I am going to look into doing the aqua classes I love swimming so just going to the lake is fun for me I am going to put all of your advice to good use :) I started myfitnesspal yesterday!!

ParisGirl
on 5/24/13 10:14 am
VSG on 04/25/13
You can add me. See my Username below.

cyndi_jk
on 5/24/13 6:06 am - hi hat , KY
VSG on 11/30/12

I live in a rual area of Kentucky i started my journey at 500 lbs ...I know exactly what you are saying ...i would go into a store and it felt like someone was standing on my buttt ...lol and kicking me in the back!! ....after I lost 30-40lbs it got easier if you have to fold clothes JUST MOVE!! I hope you can get in to water and work out ....I have a pool in my back yard but i was sleeved in the middle of winter and that was not gonna help any if you move the wt. will come off if you are like me I just didnt even want to walk threw the house and lord work was another story in its self Im a nurse my co workers helped me or I would have been fired. You can do this get on a protein diet and move as much as possible I have lost 137lbs in 5 months and you can to. we got this!!!

hugs cindy

Most Active