Obesity is now considered a disease

sarahpillars2728
on 7/12/13 4:13 am - MI

According to the American Medical Association Obesity is now considered a disease....Is this going to be a good thing for those of us trying to get surgery approved or disability approved? What are your thoughts and opinions? Will we finally be heard??

Lisa1023
on 7/12/13 6:52 am
VSG on 03/05/13

i dont exactly agree that its a disease.  Genetics play a small role, but lifestyle and habits and behavior are most to blame.  '

This news SHOULD make WLS more accepted insurance-wide, however, there will always be downsides  like... more insurance issues, period.   Like, try to get life insurance right now, as you are, and good luck with that.   Try getting health insurance under your spouse's health policy at 200+ pounds overweight.  They'll just flat out deny you.  These things will become more common than they already are. 

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

horrible_monster
on 7/15/13 7:25 am
VSG on 02/27/13

I think Michelle's article on the AMA's decision is worth reading: "The third option." My personal feeling, as someone with zero medical training or special knowledge, is in line with this quote from Michelle's article: "What if there are so many different reasons people are fat that it’s impossible to boil it down to “personal responsibility” and moral failure?" I'm skeptical that obesity is in and of itself a disease, and I'm not optimistic that categorizing it as such is going to do any real and lasting good for actual fat people. 

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

Most Active