help!!!!!

Lisa82
on 7/6/14 1:52 pm

I am 5'8" with a BMI of 71. I have met all of the requirements set forth by the insurance company. I do not have a date yet...why? My surgeon wants me to lose 30 lbs by July 22!! How in the world am I suppossed to do that? If I don't do it by that date, he will not operate and I have to start this process over.....I have been trying..eating righ****er, no junk food at all in the house, no snacking between meals, no eating late at night..yes exercise hasn't been like I want but my mom has been in the hospital and my dad is not is good health either so I get what I can.  Any suggestions/ideas? I have to get this weight off so I can take the next step on my journey to the losers bench!

Lisa

Brooke_75
on 7/6/14 2:24 pm - Canada

Hi Lisa, I am also new here.  My BMI is 78 so I feel your pain.  My information session is in September so I have a ways to go yet.  I was under the impression that pre-ops must do a liquid fast first.  If you go to your doctor again and perhaps talk about doing your own liquid fast to help speed up this process.  Please talk to your doctor first tho before doing anything on your own, because its important that you remain healthy so you can still qualify for surgery.  Some suggestions for you to talk to your doctor about are maybe doing beef/chicken/vegetable broths (no sodium added) or low sodium.  Sugar free jello, PGX's Whey Protein Shakes (but check with ur doc about that too).

Did he just give you this weight loss requirement without any tips on what you should do to achieve this goal?

Lisa82
on 7/7/14 1:48 am

Hi Brooke! Hey thanks for the tips. Yes he did. His nurse told me to download Fitness Pal and 1800 calories a day and that was it. Well good idea but I forget to log my intake!

civilmomma
on 7/7/14 1:03 am, edited 7/7/14 1:05 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I lost over 12 pounds in 10 days on my required liquid pre-op diet.  If I had to drop 30 in a month (though I'm thinking you had more than a month's notice to do it)  I would go on a liquid protein drink plus clear liquid diet and walk -walk-walk.

My plan included up to 5 protein drinks (ok to make with skim milk or water) a day plus any sugar free/calorie free clear liquids like broth, water with flavors, coffee, tea, sugar free popsicles, SF jello...goal of at least 75g Protein a day - with the shakes I was using, I easily hit 100-125g a day.  I was averaging about 950 calories a day like this.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Lisa82
on 7/7/14 1:51 am

No, I had exactly one month. My appointment was June 22 and I go back July 22. Good idea on the liquid diet. I am already drinking the protein drink.....and walking.

civilmomma
on 7/7/14 3:01 am
VSG on 03/07/14
On July 7, 2014 at 8:51 AM Pacific Time, Lisa82 wrote:

No, I had exactly one month. My appointment was June 22 and I go back July 22. Good idea on the liquid diet. I am already drinking the protein drink.....and walking.

Wow - can't believe the doc would say 30 pounds in a month without giving any guidelines.  I'd question what the after-care and support would be like from this group if they expect those results without any guidance before surgery.  Good luck.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Brooke_75
on 7/7/14 4:20 am - Canada
On July 7, 2014 at 10:01 AM Pacific Time, civilmomma wrote:
On July 7, 2014 at 8:51 AM Pacific Time, Lisa82 wrote:

Wow - can't believe the doc would say 30 pounds in a month without giving any guidelines.  I'd question what the after-care and support would be like from this group if they expect those results without any guidance before surgery.  Good luck.

Yes I second that.  Please be careful.

Lisa82
on 7/8/14 12:56 pm

Yes all his nurse told me was 1800 calories a day. You know, when you are eating healthy that much is hard to get in, especially with all the water. He is supposed to be a very good doctor, came highly reccommended....I am starting to wonder now.

Laura in Texas
on 7/8/14 1:37 pm

Well, if you really want surgery you need to do something. Stop making excuses. If you are not willing to log your food, I would suggest doing a liquid diet. I drank 4 bariatric advantage shakes a day the two weeks prior to surgery and lost 20 pounds.

Good luck. I really hope you figure out something. Your life is at stake.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Lisa82
on 7/9/14 11:49 am

I do want the surgery. I want to live. I want my life back. I am not good at remembering to log my food intake on the phone, but decided to do it on paper. For some reason, a notebook in the kitchen works wonders. I do have a question, did you drink anything else such as broth or just the 4 shakes, and would the protein powder my NUT advised work just as well?

Most Active