Not all programs are created equal, I am grateful for mine.

mobailey68
on 11/21/14 3:20 am
RNY on 02/24/14

I met a woman at a dinner with friends last night. I came to find out that she had RNY 10 days ago. She ordered some chicken pho and went to town. She wasn't given any guidelines or had not paid attention to them as to what she should be eating at 10 days out. I am not one to give unsolicited advice and it took a lot of restraint not to ask her what she was doing. All I could think about was her suture lines in her little pouch. She eventually asked me a few questions about the guidelines I was given and I passed on what was told to me by my program but I did suggest that she go back to her doctor and follow what they suggest. I also told her about OH as it has been a great source of information and inspiration to me.

I am really thankful that the program I am in required nutrition counseling, a psych evaluation, mandatory support groups, as well as medical clearance. We were actually given a quiz after our orientation class to make sure we were getting the info in our heads.

What I did learn from this whole experience is that it is my responsibility to take the initiative to learn what I need to be successful. It was just concerning to see someone who went through a major surgery and could have done physical damage to herself.

Thank you to all of the wonderful people who post their success and their struggles so that people like me can learn how to make this work for myself. I hope I can do the same for others one day too!

I wish you all a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season! 

On another note.... I am 6 pound away from being overweight! Yay! ~ Mo

HW:332 (12/17/13) SW:282 (2/24/14) GW:132 CW:164 (12/19/14) TWL:168

sechax0r
on 11/21/14 6:48 am
VSG on 11/03/14

Wow that's crazy! I had to take the quiz too. Twice actually. They really want to make sure you understand. Chicken Pho 10 days out? I am 18 days out and still on full liquids. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/23/14 10:57 am - OH

That is YOUR plan. Other plans are different.  My plan allowed me to eat soft foods on Day Three and the chicken Pho (minus noodles) would have been on my plan!

There isn't any prize for which surgeon's patients have to go the longest on liquids (and sometimes the longer the period on liquids, the more trouble reintroducing solid foods).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Patty T.
on 11/23/14 5:49 am - Boalsburg, PA

I'm also grateful that my program also gives me the support of a whole team. I've seen lots of posts on the main board by folks who can't wait to get back to solid food. They probably put all the papers they got from the doc in a pile and never looked at them. But you'd think they would know better from reading these boards.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/23/14 10:53 am, edited 11/24/14 8:44 am - OH

I have no idea what your friend's plan called for, so have no idea whether she was eating on plan or not, but please be aware that some surgeons allow patients to go back on soft foods after just a couple of days post-op, and part of the reason they do that is because they believe it results in fewer problems eating solid foods when you DON'T "baby" the pouch with nothing but liquids and purées for weeks. 

I was eating soft food ps on Day Three and had some moist baked buffalo chicken my second week post-op. My plan would have allowed me to have chicken Pho (exCelt any noodles) at 10 days out. If her plan was different, that doesn't automatically make it inferior.

Lora

mobailey68
on 11/24/14 5:29 am
RNY on 02/24/14

I apologize if it came across as I was putting down another persons plan. That was not my intention. I was just concerned for her because according to her she wasn't given any guidelines as what to eat and when. That is why I suggested she go back to her team and ask. All I really wanted to say is that I am grateful for the support I have through my program and the clear cut guidelines I was given by my team for me to follow.

I appreciate your response and I do realize that everyone's plans differ.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/24/14 8:58 am - OH

I understand.  No worries.  We just periodically have people who believe that their surgeon's way is the only "right" way and that anyone who doesn't follow that  surgeon's plan is doomed to fail, and since my plan was one of the ones that is different, I always feel compelled to point it out. 

She may not have been given good guidelines from her surgeon.  If she doesn't THINK they gave her enough guidance, then whatever they did isn't enough for her. Unless she was eating noodles, the pho is actually a good choice.  If she was eating the noodles, though, she needs help from somewhere with her food choices. If she doesn't want to go back to her surgeon and isn't sure what she should be eating, would she be open to you sharing what you got from your surgeon? Following some plan regarding food chocies is critical.

Lora

mobailey68
on 11/24/14 10:08 am
RNY on 02/24/14

I'm hoping she will go back to her surgeon and ask for more guidance. She was eating the noodles and that is what concerned me. I left that evening letting her know that she is free to contact and ask me questions and I let her know about OH. I just really want people to succeed at this. It has given me a new chance at life, but I can only offer my experience. Have a great Thanksgiving! It's weird, my first Thanksgiving since my RNY and I an not obsessed about food. Looking forward to family and not pie. I just love my life!

Most Active