Personal Care

karasmom
on 1/14/15 6:55 pm

Sleeves on 1/12/15.  Having a hard time cleaning myself after using the washroom due to pain.  Any tips or tricks?  How long will it be like this?  I know I will love my new tool but right now I feel miserable.

hW 406

SW 340

Patty T.
on 1/15/15 7:14 am, edited 1/15/15 7:15 am - Boalsburg, PA

Hi karasmom!

This is something that I'm concerned about too. I'd asked about it in a thread a while back and got some good answers.
The thread

Right now my shower massage head works, but not everyone can just hop in the shower (and you may not yet be cleared to shower).

My hubby is really squeamish, so would be no help if I need it. I am also considering 2 options -

(1) what I call a butt stick - Bottom Buddy is a popular brand Options

(2) a Japanese butt cleaning toilet seat. This is pricier but would be useful even after I lose weight. And some are heated! Toto is well known.

Here's an inexpensive version from Amazon  (demo)   Amazon link

(3) While looking for links, I also found something like the kitchen sink squirter that pulls out. Here

As you can tell from this obsessive list, I have indeed been thinking about this.... LOL

I also recall vets mentioning that once the extra gas/air cleans out of your abdomen, you can move more freely.

Meanwhile, hugs.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/15/15 8:59 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

2 words, Pain Meds. It was so very very helpful, but if you need to twist to you know get back there, I held my stomach with my hand, applied some pressure & twisted in small steps. It does get better, but those first few days I held my stomach getting up, down, walking around till the meds kicked in or I felt that I didn't need to hold it anymore. Real progress was when I could sleep on my stomach again. Hang in there, it does get better!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Debbie_04
on 1/15/15 9:43 am, edited 1/15/15 9:44 am
VSG on 12/29/14

The Long Reach Easy Wipe pictured under "ootions" on Patti's is very useful.  I have had troubles reaching that area for quite some time and this tool has been extremely helpful.  It is under $10 and Walmart carries them as well as CVS , also Amazon and EBay.  Good luck!

Age 66... VSG 12/29/14... H.W. 360...  S.W. 323...  C.W. 253

shery11ynn
on 1/15/15 10:57 am

Another bidet option: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004IW5ITO

Jessica B.
on 1/20/15 11:45 am

The most common things I've heard is tongs and a pillow (for your stomach). I am NOT looking forward to this part... 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/25/15 12:07 pm - OH

Not everyone has this issue (and, in fact, many do not).  I was 200 pounds overweight (on a 5'3" frame) , carried most of my weight in my belly, AND had open surgery rather than laparoscopic, and never had a problem wiping myself.  It was uncomfortable at first, but if I moved slowly, I had no problem.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jessica B.
on 1/25/15 11:40 pm

Thanks!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/25/15 12:12 pm - OH

If you move slowly, and apply slight pressure with your other hand to your abdomen to support the area that causes the most discomfort, that should help a lot. If not, though, the others have already identified several products than can help.  By the time you wait a few days to have something shipped to you, though, the problem may no longer exist (especially if you has lap surgery).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

knolmom
on 1/26/15 1:04 pm

I used the butt stick for two years prior to my RNY on 12/3. I have trouble bending my right knee from prior surgery so this combined with my weight made this tool a necessity. It was a lifesaver, made me feel clean and secure. It is not easy to travel with, but they do have one that folds but it is much more expensive. One of my first NSV was not having to use it @ 280 once I lost the first 20 pounds.

Most Active