Newbie: which surgery?

beenielady
on 1/16/15 3:27 am

I just recently made the decision to have WLS at the recommendation of my doctor.  I'm having trouble deciding between VSG and RNY.  If anyone would be willing to share their experiences with these surgeries, I would be very grateful!  

MsR_and_B
on 1/16/15 4:07 am
VSG on 01/14/15

Hi! My name is Rachel. I had the vertical sleeve gastrectomy 2 days ago. I am still healing but the pain is manageable and the benefits are going to be worth it. VSG is less risky than RNY but doesn't have as much long term data. Everything I've seen on the VSG shows long term results of keeping the weight off. I wish you the best on your journey and I hope the info I gave was helpful. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I'm so happy for you and I hope everything goes well for you!!!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/17/15 3:07 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I had the vsg and am happy with my results, definitely do your research & post your question in the rny, & vsg forums, also check out the ds which I've heard has very good results too. I think with the rny you lose weight quickly at first but the rny & vsg weight loss results evens out at the 2 year mark.

I chose the vsg, mainly because all the "plumbing" stays intact. I didn't want my intestines rerouted or a stomach that can't be scoped for ulcers or whatever down the road., & I didn't want the malnutrition for life, but the best surgery is the one you can do & live with for the rest of your life. Good luck with whatever wls you choose!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

selhard
on 1/17/15 7:46 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

The surgeon was quick to say RNY was the best surgery for me due to high A1C and 60+ BMI.  My own research confirmed his recommendation.  I was 52 years old when I had RNY.  Had I been much younger, I may have leaned toward VSG because I wouldn't have had quite the co-morbidity factors to consider. I've attended a support group for almost three years and the VSG/RNY surgery experiences sound the same. Both require a lifetime of daily commitment. Friendly suggestion: ask for a surgeon recommendation followed by researching yourself.

Gwen M.
on 1/20/15 4:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Here's what I've written for my blog about my choice.  

The four WLS are - sleeve, gastric bypass (RNY), lapband, and duodenal switch. My insurance covers the first three, but not the DS.

I ruled out the lapband immediately because the only people I know who have had it are miserable or have needed it removed. The complication rate is atrocious and it only lasts for 10 years or so. It's billed as being a "reversible" surgery, but the damage it can cause, like from erosion into your esophagus, is permanent. So no lapband for me. Here's an article on that topic.

The choice really boiled down to RNY or VSG and I chose the sleeve for a number of reasons. (Even if DS had been an option, I would not have chosen it.)

1. I really like the simplicity of the sleeve. All it does is remove 85% of your stomach. That's it.
2. I dislike the idea of having my intestines rerouted.
3. The "good" malabsorption that the bypass gives (of fats) is a temporary thing that only lasts for a few years whereas the "bad" malabsorption (of vitamins and minerals) lasts for forever. That's not worth it to me.
4. The sleeve is restriction only, no malabsorption. This also means that I CAN eat anything at all. Fats and sugars won't screw up my bowels the way they can for the bypass. (Of course I still need to make healthy choices, but that's a choice, not something that my surgery requires.)
5. With the bypass, you're left with a remnant stomach that can't be scoped. That scares the crap out of me. First, the idea that I have this weirdly connected non-stomach but then to not be able to get it checked out with an endoscopy if there's a problem? Eek. Do not want.
6. My understanding is that complication rates with the bypass are significantly greater, especially longterm due to malabsorption. While I will be taking vitamins for the rest of my life, chances are that I won't end up in the hospital if I stop because the sleeve has no malabsorption involved.
7. For the most part (and there are exceptions) the people I know with the sleeve look and seem healthier than the people I know with the bypass. That's nothing scientific though.. just a gut feeling.
8. The sleeve leaves you with a fully functional pyloric valve at the bottom of your stomach whereas the bypass gives you a stoma which can stretch over time.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hipswishingvinegarball
on 1/20/15 6:21 am

Make sure you do lots of research before deciding. There is one more surgery that has better results for weight loss, maintenance, and resolution of co-morbs, especially t2 diabetes and cholesterol. Studies show it's more effective for all BMIs, but especially best for those over a 50 bmi. Research the DS, along with VSG and RNY. 

It takes more training for the surgeon to do the DS, and not all do it. It may take the surgeon more effort, but for me to not risk dumping syndrome or reactive hypoglycemia that can come with RNY, or the RNY's inability to ever take an NSAID for pain again, was totally worth the hassle of changing surgeons. 

knolmom
on 1/20/15 11:49 am

a before you do excessive research, my advice is to meet with a surgeon and discuss what they believe is your best option. My surgeon and I decided that the sleeve would be best for me because I had a high BMI and some other medical issues not related to co morbidities. The surgery for the sleeve takes about half the time under anesthesia that the RNY takes, so this is a primary consideration

Afterr having the required endoscopy, they discovered silent GERD. I had never had heartburn, never took antacids or tums or had upset stomach. Having GERD prevents you from having the sleeve. Both my surgeon and I were. Disappointed, but she felt she could do the RNY safely. I had it done Dec 3 and the surgery was up eventful. Had not one episode of nausea or vomiting. Best decision I ever made.

Most Active