Sigh

karasmom
on 5/29/15 8:44 am

Do you ever get discouraged when you read on other forums about folks who have lost 40 or 50 lbs and only have a few more lbs to lose before target weight?  It seems like I have been at this for so long and still have so far to go.  How did I let myself get this way in the first place??  I just want to get to Onederland!

Patty T.
on 5/29/15 9:58 am, edited 5/29/15 9:59 am - Boalsburg, PA

It's hard not to be jealous of the lightweights. That's why this board is important to us. We have a longer row to hoe.

I'm discovering that so many of my issues are tied up in trying to meet what I'm convinced is a reasonable expectation, but my mind is flawed. What is reasonable progress and on what timeline is individual. What someone else is achieving should not diminish you.

Not taking care of myself is what got me to SMO. Beating yourself up about not moving faster is not taking care you YOU. Keep at it. You are doing well.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/29/15 5:03 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Are you kidding????  YES!

A little part of me dies inside I see a lightweight reach their goal in six months.  It can be so depressing, but everyone is on their own journey and timetable.  

Do NOT let this dishearten you.  Take it for what it is and move on.  Some people weigh significantly less than we do, but we are still entirely capable of losing enormous amounts of weight.  It just takes more time.  And what would we be doing with our time anyway?  

My inner voice currently reminds me that I've lost more weight than I weigh now.  Look for small goals to remind you how far you've come. And it's not easy for us heavyweights to engage in prolonged exercise due to the stress on our joints.  

As everyone here will remind you, it's a marathon, not a sprint.  Don't be discouraged  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

shirleym
on 5/29/15 6:01 pm - Springfield, OR

What bothers me most is when I read someone posting about how gross and disgusting they were at their all time high of 248 lbs.

When I was feeling happy about struggling to get down to 278 lbs., that feels like they are saying I'm disgusting.  Like so many obese people, my self esteem has been pretty low.  You tell yourself that you should rise above these feelings but it is easier said than done.  I know they were not trying to be hurtful, but it still hurts.

AmyDee123
on 5/31/15 2:05 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

This is the one that hurts the most.  I would kill to be at 240 right now.  The other one that gets me is people telling me because I started higher my goal weight should be higher.  Why?  Why can't I have the same goal weight as you?  My doctor thinks I can, I don't know why you think I can't.  

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Somedude
on 6/14/15 4:18 am
VSG on 10/31/13

Your goal weight can be whatever you want it to be. It will just take hard work and dedication to reach it the lower you set it. Nothing at all that will stop you if you put the work in!

Somedude
on 6/14/15 4:17 am
VSG on 10/31/13

I don't get discouraged, I look and I say "Wow look at all that weight they lost, will that be me some day **** yeah!".

E_Saenz
on 6/19/15 9:57 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Please don't be discouraged I can't express how uncomfortable for someone with my small frame feels st 265 lbs and gaining I have weiged more in the past but I've lived a life of diets that never worked for me.  I feel blessed to meet other people that are going through the same as me it's a great support system.  I just can not wait to be on the losing bench.

Elia Maria Saenz

Most Active