Blah :(

karasmom
on 6/5/15 7:25 am

I am feeling so down in the dumps today!!  I've lost over 100 lbs and when I look in the mirror I still see the almost 400 lbs me.  My hair is falling out and I can't seem to find any clothes that look nice.  I'm tired of eating the same foods over and over again and am even more tired of not enjoying anything that I eat. I know we need to eat to live and not live to eat but it is still frustrating for me.  How do you get over these hurdles?  How can I drag myself up and out of my slump ?  I still want to lose another 100 lbs but I am so scared that what I have lost is it for me :(

shirleym
on 6/5/15 9:53 am - Springfield, OR

I have made many mistakes (went from high of 366 to 185 and then regained back to over 300 largely due to out of control alcohol consumption.  But, I have also learned something along the way over the years.

First, seeing yourself in the mirror is weird - our minds just don't register the new reality.  This was brought home to me when at my lowest I was waiting in line with a crowd of people and noticed a woman dressed just like me in the crowd who looked really nice.  I registered that she looked good before my mind realized that I was looking at a wall mirror and that woman was me.  For the seconds before I knew this, I saw me as others do.  

Also, If you have kept a journal, go back and read those entries made when you were at your highest weight.  Then see how much better life is 100 lbs less than then.

Go outside and take a walk. A little exercise and fresh air renews a person.

hair will grow back, those clothes that don't flatter you now will only be too big to wear soon anyway.  Food is just the medicine you need to live.  Sure, you want to enjoy that medicine so go looking for recipes - the web is full of them.

It wasn't easy to lose that first 100 lbs, right?  Now you have the second 100 to work on and no matter how hard it is, it is still easier than if you put back on that first 100 and were facing losing it all over again.  I'm at 273 lbs right now and believe me when I say losing it the second time around is harder.  Be smarter than I was.

I think I can speak for everyone on this message board when I say we all want the best for you.  You can do it.

trsinhawaii
on 6/5/15 2:08 pm

Thanks for posting this, karasmom, and thanks for that reply, Shirleym.  I am feeling the same way.  It is so hard when you eat something and you can't enjoy it.  And the things that you can enjoy, you can't eat. I am 3 months out from RNY now and still having issues with what to eat.  I guess cottage cheese, again.  Because I have issues with meat getting stuck.  I have lost 63 pounds now but my hair is disappearing at an alarming rate, my clothes are horrible, and I wanna cry alot.  I loved the reply, it hit home, today.  Thank you Shirleym!  Really puts things in perspective.  I think I will go outside now!

Somedude
on 6/14/15 5:08 am
VSG on 10/31/13

Hair falling out is due to not getting enough protein...most likely. Do whatever you must to get that protein, buy 100% whey protein powder and make your own shakes, make them thick or as thin as you require. When I first started eating solids I made it a point to CHEW THE HELL out of whatever I was eating, until it no longer resembled meat and more resembled a fine paste before swallowing. If you haven't tried obliterating your solid food into the consistency of baby food yet that might be worth a shot. If you are bored of all the stuff you are usually eating, whey protein powder comes in huge varieties of flavors, most of them sweet though. You can buy unflavored whey protein powder to mix into your other foods, like your cottage cheese, or your soup, to squeeze in even more protein. You could mix flavored ones with cottage cheese and unflavored greek yogurt to give them a new taste too.

There are lots of ways to use protein powders, you can bake with them, you can mix them with other foods, you can make your own protein bars, and im sure plenty of other things someone has dreamed up.

Good luck, and remember get that protein and water and multi vits in!

hammonds99
on 6/26/15 12:01 pm

I can feel ya.  Try looking for Genepro  protein powder my Musclegen.  I found it on amazon.  It is a little expensive, but 1 scoop has 30 grams of protein and only 98 calories.  It has no flavor, I mix one scoop in a 16.9 ounce water bottle with crystal light.  2 birds with one stone.  fluid   and protein.  The body image is a hard one to overcome, someof us never do.  But one thing my psychiatrist said to me that really hit home was that you need to grieve for the old you.  That person is gone, its almost like losing a friend or loved one.  Also remember it took us years to get into  this shape.  Its going to take time to get it gone.  I don't know if any of this will help, but good luck.

Most Active