Hi! New here... I'm looking into the Sleeve......

mama_of_two
on 2/10/16 8:44 pm - UT

My BMI is 53 and I want to get the Sleeve. I have been told that I should be getting the DS since my BMI is so high but I don't want to. I believe with therapy and with the help of the sleeve, I can overcome my weight problem. 

Has the sleeve worked long term for any of you with BMI over 50?

mnematv
on 2/10/16 9:07 pm

I am in the same boat, determined to do sleeve only at BMI 70

dianach89
on 2/11/16 7:45 am

Im sorry but what does DS mean? I was hoping to get the sleeve done and my doctor has not said anything against it and my BMI is 66.

Slownomad
on 2/11/16 2:26 pm

Duodenal Switch, I believe.  As I understand it, it's like Sleeve + Gastric Bypass, being both restrictive and malabsorptive. 

I also have a BMI over 50 and want to get Sleeve rather than Bypass.  I've got about 6 months of supervised weight loss before the final decision has to be made and, yes, my Doctor recommends Bypass because "it's the gold standard" and because statistically the weight loss is slightly more.  But for a whole bunch of varied reasons, I really don't think Bypass is for me.  My older sister had Sleeve several years ago, lost a whole lot of weight, and has maintained it and been otherwise very healthy. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/11/16 7:48 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I had a bmi of 57 when I got the sleeve, & now I no longer qualify for surgery!, Hooray! I'm still in active weight loss mode & hope to reach goal by summer.

When I first started I also was advised to get the DS (not by my surgeon) due to my high bmi. But after looking at all the wls procedures & lifestyle requirements & looking at my past dieting history & current health I decided that the sleeve would be the best fit. No regrets.

In the end you have to choose what's best for you. Not your Dr, your friends, your family, YOU. After all you have to live with your choice, not them. The rny, ds, & vsg are all good choices. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. 

Try cross posting to get more responses.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

NYMom222
on 2/11/16 4:33 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Sleeve can be a great choice. You can see how well T has done. There is also a choice of a bypass.  If you have diabetes or GERD they will often suggest bypass. I choose Bypass because I felt restriction alone wasn't going to be enough to get me where I needed to be. At this point in my life I had gone on diets and restricted myself and I still wasn't losing significant weight.

You need to be diligent no matter what you choose. Bypass is the standard because it is been around longer, so they know the expectations.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

TrulyPhoenix
on 2/11/16 4:56 pm - Calgary, Canada

I'm still pre-op and my BMI is over 60.  My doctor said DS and RNY tend to have better success rates for those with high BMI's due to the malabsorption aspect, but they're also much more complicated surgeries than the sleeve. It really comes down to your eating habits and what you expect to get out of your 'tool'.  I already completely changed my diet and am very determined to succeed but my main issue is portion control, so my doctor agrees that the sleeve is a great option for me regardless of how high my BMI is. Statistically (at least with my clinic) there's only maybe a 10-20lb difference in the end, so to me it's not worth re-routing my intestines and having to worry about lifelong malabsorbtion/vitamin deficiencies.  Don't allow anyone to force you into getting a different surgery based on your BMI and statistics, you can lose just as much weight with the sleeve as long as you put the work in and follow your plan :)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/15/16 5:06 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My BMI was over 70 when I first started the process.  I opted for the sleeve and couldn't be happier.  

The DS is successful for long term weight loss, but has a lot of requirements and issues I did not want to deal with for the rest of my life.  Who told you that you should get the DS?  A surgeon?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

cupofjavaVSG
on 2/16/16 12:59 pm

The DS is a very extreme surgery, if your BMI is very high they would expect you to get the sleeve first, then follow up after some weight loss and get the DS. The DS is not like the RNY at all. It is MUCH more restrictive. Long term the DS has the MOST complications. I caution against it, I feel that only the highest BMIs should get the DS and I do not think it should be done in one operation. My surgeon told me to get the sleeve for the following reasons:

1. I am not diabetic.
  2. There is no reason to take on additional surgical risk to loose an additional 10-20%. Surgery is a TOOL and you can loose as much with the VSG as the DS if you WANT too.
  3. If you are not successful the DS is always a follow up procedure that is available to you.

Just my opinion, you have to do what is best for YOU and nobody else.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 2/25/16 11:42 am

Yes, these clearly are your opinions, because the actual facts don't support what you are saying. Please don't share such inaccurate information on a site where people are trying to learn about things that can affect their health for the rest of their lives. 

The DS is more effective in those with a BMI over 50 for both weight loss, maintenance and resolution of co-morbidities, but is also more effective in all groups.

As far as complications, it is statistically the same as RNY, although RNY does have higher incidence of things like dumping syndrome and reactive hypoglycemia. Both of these surgeries will take more supplements (although maybe not quite the same ones) than the sleeve. 

BMI requirements are the same for all 3 surgeries - 35Bmi with co-morbs, or 40bmi.

Also, few competent surgeons do the DS in 2 surgeries anymore. There is no reason, and a second surgery is unnecessary risk. 

As to the OP, my stomach is a sleeve (as part of the DS) and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm satisfied with small meals, and the sleeve is as problem free as any WLS. My only consideration with it and why I instead got the DS, was that I already ate small meals and was careful what I ate, and knew I had a very efficient metabolism. I did not have issues with portion control, but if I did, the sleeve alone is likely what I would have done. 

Keep doing your research, as you have to live with whatever surgery you pick, not your family, or surgeon, or anyone else. I love facts, and read every real study I could find on WLS. If you want links to any of the medical studies (where some of my info above is from) let me know. 

Most Active