Gall Bladder Removal

Petetrox
on 4/6/16 7:50 am

Would it be too much to ask my surgeon to remove my gall bladder during my RNY surgery?  I haven't had any issues with it, but my mother had to have hers removed (non WLS related) and it seems like so many post op people have gall stone issues.  Just wondered if anyone requested this from their doctor.

HW 330

Surgery 7/21/16

NerdySquirrel
on 4/7/16 6:55 am

I kind of wish I had asked to have mine out at the same time, but I'm not sure if they do that.  It wouldn't hurt to ask though!  I just had to get mine removed (6 months after WLS).  The worst part post-op for me was the gas pain in my right shoulder - it was excruciating for about 24 hours.  Also two of my incisions have been more painful than the ones I had for WLS, but I have no clue why.  Other than that, gallbladder surgery hasn't been that bad.  

HW: 378 | 1st Consult: 363 | Surgery: 339 | CW: 182

"We all have two lives. The second begins when we realize we only have one."

Slownomad
on 4/7/16 10:39 pm

I'll be having mine out when I get to my surgery (in July, hopefully).  But that's because when I had a CT Scan last year when I had an abdominal hernia, they also happened to see a stone in there.  And if you already definitely have a not so great gall bladder, at least my surgeon said he would definitely remove it at the same time since it would likely get worse after WLS.

Petetrox
on 4/8/16 7:58 am

The subsequent surgery doesn't bother me as much as my need to be as efficient as possible.  If he's already "digging around" in there, why not just pull out the things that might cause problems in the future. I'm just trying to save him time

HW 330

Surgery 7/21/16

Laura in Texas
on 4/8/16 10:04 am

Some will do it, but many do not believe in taking out a perfectly healthy organ. Feel free to ask.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ChristyO
on 4/10/16 9:04 am
RNY on 02/01/16

My Doctor Doesn't Do That. 

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

Tiacoco760
on 8/29/16 6:43 am
RNY on 08/22/16

My doctor did it. Kind of wish he hadn't. The incision is by far the most tender, the area above it tender to the slightest touch and it's not agreeing with my post WLS diet. Keep a bathroom near by. 

Most Active