New Here

lzbthcldwll
on 1/22/19 12:00 pm

So after many many years with coverage that specifically excluded WLS... and a couple of years with a PCP who is not a fan, my Doc has finally agreed to submit the necessary paperwork to get me on the road. I am not entirely sure what the process is and I hope that they will send me some info... but I am looking forward to the road ahead.

HW 377 4/2017
CW 358 1/2019
GW 150

Gwen M.
on 1/22/19 3:50 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats on getting started!

A good place to start, if you haven't already, is to call the number on the back of your insurance card and ask what the process is. My insurance actually set me up with a bariatric case manager who checked in with me, sent me info, and answered a lot of questions that I had.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

dreamer1234
on 2/16/19 6:05 pm

i started the on-line seminar with the surgeons office in july of 2017 and didn't have the gastric bypass surgery until september 13, 2018 but it was well worth the wait. i have medicare and they had alot of stuff i had to go through before i even had the initial consult with my surgeon. i met with my pcp for 6 times to talk about diet, i had to have a psy eval, meet with a dietician, blood work and then since i have asthma i had to have a pulmonary clearance plus a cardiac clearance. both my surgeon and pcp kept me informed of what was going on. i am not the most patient person and so i just wanted to have the surgery now but i had to tell myself that it took many yrs to get this overweight and i will be ok waiting. i started out at 345 and in 5 months i have lost 105 lbs. i am not on oxygen or a c-pap anymore and i am so much happier now.

melvinslmjrm
on 2/18/19 10:00 am - Streator, IL
RNY on 07/10/19

Hello I'm new as well , I'm Melinda I started my journey Nov 2018 and i think I am close to getting surgery but we have to decide on which one to do. I wish you the best in your journey and remember it is a life changing decision. We something in common my pcp was against the surgery as well and things changed and now the doctor is on board. So Good luck on your journey and hopfully we can find out some of the answers that we may have along the way. I have faith you are going to do great.

coolmama
on 4/9/19 6:51 pm

well good luck. i myself am still waiting for approval for surgery. Im in canada so its covered by our health care system. Very nervous i wont get proved cause our guidelines are a little different here. I should know rhe end of may.

Most Active