Hello from returnee

Patty T.
on 9/20/22 3:49 pm - Boalsburg, PA

Hi all

I've been dancing with making a commitment to WLS for at least 15 years. I was on this board regularly but got swept up in life.

My Max was 450 or so. I was in a surgical program in Portland, OR an 10lbs from my surgery weight (395) when long standing marital problems resulted in a move back to my hometown in PA.

I'm currently at 310 but as I close in on turning 70, that knee surgery that I never could qualify for has caused havoc. I need to get more of this weight off so I can start becoming bionic.

Patty

White Dove
on 9/21/22 3:31 am - Warren, OH

Sadly only a small fraction of those whose lives could be so much improved with weight loss surgery actually go through with it. You are not alone in this choice.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

AW
on 10/17/22 3:26 am

Hi Patty, did you come to a decision on your WLS?

Patty T.
on 11/1/23 11:28 am - Boalsburg, PA

Yes! I had the sleeve on 8/11/23. I'm adjusting, learning the peculiarities of my new stomach. I just had my 3 month check up and was struggling with fatigue. A B-12 shot was wonderful and solved my problem.

The decision? When I was 440 lbs, my life was full of sadness. I finally broke down and moved back to my hometown. So many friends and extended family are here. Needless to say. I'm so much happier. I've been changing from dwelling on the past to looking forward.

My biggest help been my boyfriend of 2 years. We were each considering WLS when we met, both of us 330-340 Looking back, it's hilarious some of the things we tried to avoid surgery. We even did serious juicing for a while.

We went through it all together with our surgeries 2 months apart. He has a RNY so we have both similar and different ways of eating that seem to work. The support from people - both on message boards and in person - has been crucial. I NEVER could have done this when with my mentally abusive Ex.

Many people end up leaving a partner who sabotages their choices. I realized that situation would never help me. I was going to make my own choices So I left on 2015.

Since then I've lost weight in fits and spurts. Medifast was helpful for me as I learned about protein drinks and bars. Lost 75 lbs and gained back 45.

So both of us were ready.

Patty T.
on 11/1/23 11:30 am - Boalsburg, PA
Most Active