Let's Start Talkin'

Shelley C.
on 7/27/05 6:26 am - Chatham, Canada
Hi Everyone, I'm Shelley. I saw a post for this new forum on the diabetes forum, so I thought I'd check it out....... aaaaannnnnddddd...... Nobody's here yet, so I am posting to say Hello to anyone who happens on by. I'm 37 years old, I'm 5'2', 374 pounds, with a BMI of 68.4. I sent my Out of Country application to OHIP on July 22, 2005, so I am now doing the waiting thing. I'm totally paranoid that they won't approve me, so this wait is going to be difficult. I have a whole laundry list of co-morbidities, so I absolutely qualify for approval, but OHIP does sometimes deny people for whatever reasons. I hope all is going well for all of you, and I am excited to have a board to share this journey with people who truly understand what this whole thing is like. Take gentle care.- Shelley
~*Country Girl*~
on 7/27/05 6:36 am - somewhere in de Mtns!, VA
Hi Shelley I am glad they also did this board too! I wish they had of did it along time ago. I started out at 423 with a bmi of 72. I am 14 months out but still feel as if i am the same 423 when I look in the mirror. I was told it could take up to 3 years for my brain to catch up with my body image. I am now starting my journey on reconstructive surgeries. I am petrified of going under the knife again. I have a grade 5 panni and it has to be removed. Keeping you in my prayers you will get approved! take it easy! Lisa
debdoc
on 7/27/05 6:48 am - fort wayne, IN
hi lisa i'm deb, and i'm 6 months out - down 150 lbs, with about that many more to go. i'm wondering about "a grade 5 panni" -- what does the grade 5 mean? i'm not familiar with the term. any info would be appreciated. thanks deb
~*Country Girl*~
on 7/27/05 6:55 am - somewhere in de Mtns!, VA
Hi deb! here it tis! Panniculectomy In an obese person, there can be a large "apron" (abdominal panniculus) of excess fat and skin that hangs down from the lower abdomen. At times, this apron is so large that it covers the hips and extends around to the lower back. Panniculectomy is a surgical procedure in which this apron is removed. Abdominoplasty and panniculectomy are two different procedures. Abdominoplasty deals with muscle as well as skin and fat, whereas a panniculectomy deals only with excess skin and fat. A panniculectomy can either be performed alone or in conjunction with an abdominoplasty, depending on the patient's physical symptoms. A panniculectomy may also be performed with another abdominal surgery, such as hysterectomy. Panniculectomy can be performed on a person who is severely overweight or who has recently lost massive amounts of weight. Generally, if a panniculectomy is performed on an obese person, it requires a hospital stay. This is because of the extensive nature of the surgery as well as the need for more medical attention during recovery. The hospital stay could be anywhere from 1 week to 3 weeks or more. Complete wound healing could take several months. This apron can be graded on a scale of 1 - 5. Generally, higher grades occur as the weight of the patient increases. Also, the higher grades tend to have more problems and medical, physical, and social limitations. Grading Grade One: Apron just barely covers the hairline and the mons pubis, but not the private areas. Grade Two: Apron covers the private areas in line with the upper thigh crease. Grade Three: Apron covers the upper thigh. Grade Four: Apron covers mid thigh. Grade Five: Apron covers the knees or beyond. As the grade increases problems such as difficulty getting in and out of bed and standing and walking upright ensue. Medical problems such as excess weight and moisture leading to skin rashes and breakdown, back pain, and loss of abdominal wall integrity may also occur. A panniculectomy should help to relieve these symptoms. Lisa 423/219/???
debdoc
on 7/27/05 7:19 am - fort wayne, IN
thanks for the info, lisa. have you got this procedure scheduled? i certainly imagine there's one of these in my future if i can come up with the money! best of luck to you! deb
~*Country Girl*~
on 7/27/05 7:47 am - somewhere in de Mtns!, VA
deb I am going for a second opinion on aug 5th. i pray all goes well!! lisa.c
G. Carter
on 7/27/05 7:19 am - Columbus, OH
Wow Lisa ... this is great information. Please keep us updated on your reconstrustion proceedures. Georgeann
Shelley C.
on 7/27/05 2:58 pm - Chatham, Canada
Hi Deb, WOW!!! 150 gone forever. Congratulations. It must feel great. Take gentle care.- Shelley
debdoc
on 7/28/05 12:26 am - fort wayne, IN
hi shelley! thanks for the congrats...it does feel great. got a long way to go, but the good start serves to inspire me! wishing you all the best. deb -150
Shelley C.
on 7/27/05 2:56 pm - Chatham, Canada
Hi Lisa, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, too, regarding your panni, and thanks so much for keeping me in yours. My brother had open RNY in May of 2004, and he has lost about 300 pounds since then. He has said the same thing about his brain catching up with his body image. He looks amazing to me, and to everyone else who sees him, but when he looks in the mirror, he still sees the "BIG GUY". I just can't seem to wrap my head around the idea that I too might some day experience life in a way other than as I am right now. I think it would be amazing to be able to move around freely. It's just the little things I miss the most- like taking a walk when I darn well feel like. That just hasn't been an option for me in so so long that I can't even really remember what it felt like. I imagine it would feel wonderful. Take care, and good luck to you. -Shelley
Most Active