concerned about amount I can eat

cookie54
on 7/28/05 6:36 am - monroeville, PA
Hi everyone: I started at 370 post opp. I've lost 125 lbs in 11 months. Still have about 100 to go if I want to be perfect, but I'll settle for 50 more. Several years ago, I lost 150 lbs just by counting calories. I gained the weight back within a year, which broke my heart and the hearts of everyone who was rallying behind me. So I decided to have WLS last August. I'm concerned that my hunger has come back with a vengence. yes, some may be head hunger, but I know the difference and for the most part it's real hunger. I eat no more than 1200 calories a day with 60 grams of protein and 64 oz water. I get gout frequently so I don't always exercise religiously when I have the gout. I got frightened last night as I was hungry. I ate a bowl of cheerios (one cup) and then still felt ravenous. I ate a second cup! Plus a banana! I can and do eat a whole turkey sandwich occasionally and can and do eat a 6" tuna sub from Subway. Is this unusual? Can anyone else eat this amount? I'm getting very worried about the sheer volume of food that I eat, plus the fact that my appetite is back and it's a struggle to stay with my meal plan. It's the same struggle I had when on the Weigh****chers diet or any other diet I've been on since. I thought I was done with that and the "tool" of a small stomach would get me through all of the dieting B.S. Does anyone else share in my experience or concerns? Am I able to eat too much?
Lvoshell
on 7/28/05 6:50 am - North Bend, OR
I am about 1 yr out and my appetite is back also.... YUCK... But I refuse to let it control me anymore. I eat very healthy and then if I am still hungry... I drink hot tea, sf popsicles, SF jello...and if all else fails...I take a nap just to pass the time so I can't eat!!! But I don't think you sound out of control..... How bad can Cheerios be? I would not be able to eat a whole sandwich, Subway or homemade. I can maybe eat a whole piece of toast...but it fills me up so bad that I'd rather not eat it. It's a head game tho...cuz I could snack all day and get several pieces down..... Good luck fighting the appetite..... I have heard of some WLS patients getting a prescription appetite suppressant... maybe call your DR.? Good Luck..... And congratulations on your success already!!! Laurie - minus 146 lbs!! 380/364/218/170
ladivainotown
on 7/28/05 7:57 am - Orlando, FL
Hi Miss Cookie, I would talk to your surgeon and his nutritionist. At 11 months post-op I doubt your pouch would be "stretched" but the surgeon could order a few tests to make sure everything inside is ok. There are a few things that could be causing the problem so talking to him might be the answer. Try not to stress and just do the best you can until you know for sure it it's a physical problem or not. Take care, Dawn Post-Op 9/23/04 399/248/200 Pre-op BMI-69 Current BMI-45
Carmella
on 7/28/05 7:58 am - Massillon, OH
Hi Miss Cookie: First of all congratulation on the tremoundous weight loss, I hope to be able to post that some day. I'm newly post op and I have been on these boards 24/7 for over a year. I'm not an expert and I know what you mean about head hunger. I fight it about 2 x's a week. But from what I have read from post op's they say, stay with the basics and eat your PROTIEN!!!!! and water, water, water. I think the cheerios were ok, not sure about the carbs though. So that's my 2 cents!!!! Try to stick with your Protien. Good luck to you~~~~Head hunger is awful!!!! Carmella -55 pounds in 8wks. "The mom of 3 Shih Tzu's"
~*Country Girl*~
on 7/28/05 12:06 pm - somewhere in de Mtns!, VA
I think I would have to put in a call in to the surgeon just to double check on things. I know on my consult they said at a year out I should be holding one cup of food. I am doing that now unless it is like soups and stuff then I can hold more. As for sandwiches, I tonight just ate my first entire sandwich. Granted it was a grilled cheese so I think that had alot to do with it. yesterday I could only eat half of sandwich but it was filled with all kinds of goodies! So I think you need to look at what is on your sandwich and go from that. I can eat about 4 inches of a 6 inch sub from subway and then I ask them to gut the bread and toast it. Boy does that make them mad! lol as for the cereal you ate two cups, OK you have liquid in cereal which means it is going to push through your system and not fill you up! that is why you still felt hungry. when you ate the banana it was Little thicker and held in your tummy for awhile therefore making you feel full. you need to watch your combinations. Like when eating cereal don't drink or eat the milk. Pour it out or know that will still be hungry. I hope this helps out some. you have a great night! Lisa
Kasey
on 7/28/05 1:16 pm - Baltimore, MD
Cookie, I believe I responded to a similar post of yours earlier this week. I believe I recommended then, as others have here, that you have your surgeon do a complete physical to make sure nothing has gone wrong since your surgery. I hope you will do that very soon. I have not had WLS. But many of us who have had serious weight problems find that carbs act as trigger foods. The Cheerios, the banana, the Subway sub (those sub rolls are pretty big and full of carbs) could be triggering the cravings, and when you eat carbs to satisfy those cravings, you get more cravings! It's a vicious cycle. Try cutting back on the carbs. I know it's hard to believe, but the cravings WILL pass. Best of luck. Kasey 365/220/195
Most Active