Lap Band & Chemo

Simone C.
on 1/11/10 12:28 am - Highlands Ranch, CO
I had Lap Band surgery in March 2009 and just had a Lumpectomy and will be starting chemo.  Does anyone know if I need to have the band unfilled?

Dorothy Shuler
on 1/28/10 8:49 am - Olathe, KS
don't know.. but the best person to ask is your surgeon that did your band.  When facing chemo I called my surgeon's office.. (RNY was mine) so my surgeon's office had some suggestions and I have added in not only nexium but another antacid to protect my teeny tiny tummy..
do what you believe is right.. you most likely know your body better than "regular" people now.
good luck!

Started at  215, I now weigh 149!! I gained 10lbs after Chemo. Currently looking to lose that 10-20lbs I LOVE my RNY 

SmileyO
on 1/18/12 11:07 am - GA
 After speaking with my doctors, I was told that they will monitor me and the band throughout treatment. But I had to make sure that I eat health meals. As long as I didn't experience vomiting and lack of appetite, I was safe to leave my fill in. 
Thankfully, I successfully made it through CHOP without the need to have my band adjusted. 
Like the other poster, I also gained weight during chemo (Steroids)
David147
on 7/3/15 4:01 am

The LaparoscopicBAND (also known as adjustable gastric banding or lap-band) is a breakthrough bariatric (weight-loss) procedure, designed to be safe, effective, and long-term. The band helps retrain you to eat smart, encouraging loss of most of your excess weight at a healthy pace and helping you keep it off, permanently. It is fully adjustable, which means that the level of restriction is set to your individual needs. It is also the only reversible weight loss surgery option available today.

kylee
on 5/12/10 12:05 am
Best thing is, just to be safe you need to ask your physician for that matter. All i know is lap band has adjustments during the 1st 18 months following lap band surgery.
Health is important!

Most Active