Any dealt with Barrett's Esophagus and RNY?

TextDeity
on 2/12/10 4:58 am - Salinas, CA

Have been diagnosed with Barrett's Esphagus and am having RNY on 2/19/10. Has anyone had this done for Barrett's? Are you glad you had it done? How much weight did you lose? I had vertical banded gastroplasty in 1984, and now weigh 174. Can I expect any more weight loss?

AnthonyFromCA
on 6/6/10 2:24 am - Manteca, CA
Yes, I have this condition, and surgery has worked for me, and I was diagnosed with this condition prior to surgery.  I am supposed to get this checked every two years or so as well, because the doctor says it could lead to cancer someday if not kept on top of it..
TextDeity
on 6/6/10 9:28 am - Salinas, CA
Hi!

Well, I am now about 3 1/2 months out from surgery, and things are going well. My surgeon had me on Prevacid Solutabs for 6 weeks after, and that's it. I was on those before I had the surgery.  What times I have panicked and thought that I was having a bout of gastric reflux, was actually a fullness sensation. I've gone from 174 to 155 and am delighted with that, anything under 160 is just wonderful.

I am to have endoscopy once a year to keep tabs on the Barrett's.
Chaytahn
on 8/11/14 11:47 am

I had a roux n y  andt did not resolve the acid reflux.  I now have Barrett's and an adinoid carcinoma just above the pouch.  Today they removed the tumor with EMR surgery.  I will know how deep the tumor was in two days. Pray it was only I. The first layer as they suspect it was deeper requiring chemo and surgery

Mendolori
on 7/10/10 9:50 am
I also have been diagnosed with Barrett's, which I developed after the VSG.  I am not however, having RNY unless I develop dysplasia.  They told me to keep a close eye on this, however, since the esophagus is so close to the lymph nodes.  I've been told a bypass is the only way to completely get rid of acid, but then there are other issues... 

I send you best thoughts and wishes.
Most Active