I'm on chemo/radiation can i still have my LB procedure done?

ready4nume
on 2/19/10 1:32 am
ok... i am currently 3 weeks in on a 6 week chemo/radiation treatment. I have to attend one more appt w/ the Lapband surgeon due to insurance rules...... So my LB surgeon said they need a note from my oncologist to do the procedure.
I haven't lost any weight since being on the chemo/radiation so my question is HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN IN A SIMILAR SITUATION AND DID YOUR ONCOLOGIST SAY YOU COULD GO AHEAD W/ THE LAPBAND? 
thank you

READY4NUME
MrsBraun
on 3/16/10 3:44 pm
I've not had WLS, but I have been through chemo and radiation, so I think I might be able to answer part of your question.

Most likely, you will need to wait until you have finished chemo and radiation and your body has had time to heal from that.  From my own experience, I don't think I could have handled healing from surgery at the same time.  In fact, I had surgery prior to chemo and had to wait a month for that to heal before beginning chemo.  I did also have reconstruction surgery (had breast cancer and mastectomies) and I had to wait a few months to heal from chemo before having that surgery.

Honestly?  You have enough on your plate dealing with the chemo.  If it were me, I'd give my body a little time to heal.  Of course, talk to your doctor and go with his/her recommendation.

I wish you all the best in your healing.
kylee
on 5/18/10 1:19 am
There is a link between weight reduction through bariatric surgery and cancer prevention. Obesity is one of the many causes of certain cancers, but if the obesity is reversed, so is the likelihood of those cancers. A recent report estimated that in the United States, 14% of deaths from cancer in men, and 20% of cancer deaths in women are due to being overweight or obese.
Health is important!

Huguette
on 6/8/10 11:23 pm - Cape Cod, MA
I am so sorry about what ou went through; been there, done that and haad to wait until well after the treatments to get WLS. You must have had it by now and I hope you are doing well. Huguette

Most Active