Breast Cancer and My Boss Fired Me

Jagator88
on 7/12/10 4:36 am - Jacksonville, FL
Yep, I have been going through surgeries (haven't started chemo yet) and I submitted FMLA paperwork to my boss. We have a payroll management company that handles our workers comp and health insurance. It was at their recommendation that I submit the FMLA paperwork even if I didn't need to take off more than a couple of hours at a time. My boss sent me an email that he wanted to discuss it with me before he signed it. I let him know that it was a requirement but that I didn't anticipate taking off any more time than I could make up as I knew my job needed my full attention.

Friday afternoon he calls me in his office and says he is letting me go as I am no longer a fit for the company. I have been there for 7 years. I was the only employee for almost a year. I helped grow the company from $5 million a year to almost $17 million. I asked him how I could no longer have any value. He just shrugged his shoulders and said it is what it is. They are offering me a severance package but all I know at this point is they are continuing my insurange for 3 months. Big Whoop! I'm just beginning chemo which will last 3 months alone. I guess I'll have to go on cobra after the 3 months.

I used to have tremendous respect for my boss and we were good friends as well. His father died unexpectedlt last year and he got very cold hearted. I think he is upset brcause I can't be there for him as I have my own issues to deal with. I want to sue the pants off of him and may just do that. I'll wait until after the severance runs out first!
5' 7" 244/95/125 SW/CW/GW
VSG by Dr. Miguel Zapata on 06/04/2009
Monterrey, MX
Hayley                    

Diane G.
on 7/21/10 1:37 pm - Smithtown, NY
RNY on 07/25/05 with
This is horrendous...I am so sorry you are going through this. 

In regards to cobra, there is a new government subsidy that will take care of 2/3 of the bill.  Look into that before you sign any contracts with them!

Good luck, good health, and god bless you.

-Diane
Victorious_one
on 7/27/10 5:48 am - South Central, PA
I just had a friend who settled an FMLA retaliation case with her employer in about two months.  I wouldn't wait--I'd get an attorney ASAP.  I'm sure there are many excellent ones who would represent you on contingency because of your cir****tances.

I hope your treatment is very effective and uneventful (well, as uneventful as chemo can be).  Hang in there--it's not unusual for survivors to have lots of drama right around diagnosis and treatment time.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active