Chemo curls

YankeeRose
on 2/8/11 12:07 pm - Meadville, PA
Anyone get "chemo curls" after your hair grew back? After chemo my hair grew back a different color and curly. I have heard that the chemo curls go away after about a year. It has been 14 months since my last chemo treatment but I still have the curly hair. I am just curious and wondering if my hair will go back to "normal." I have had a hard time styling my hair as I am not used to the curls and it seems my hair just ends up looking frizzy.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

grannysgirl
on 2/27/11 10:47 am, edited 2/27/11 10:47 am - kitchener, Canada
Hi,
My curls lasted about a year and a half or so now I'm left with wavy hair. I urge you to get macadamia nut oil if your hair is frizzy. My stylist gave it to me and it works wonders! really tames the frizzes and gives you body and shine!
I still wear my wigs but it is nice to have my own hair back again, mine came in a different colour as well (drab blondish grey) I was a strawberry blond before the cancer (breast).
Good luck!

(sorry I don't have a pic but I am having trouble with my computer! It hates me I swear!)

Susan

noofygirl
on 4/9/11 11:58 pm - Kingston, ON, Canada
 I am just over a year and a half since my chemo & I still have the curls too.  Mine didn't come in a different colour, except for the white baby hair that i had to cut first.  Then it was my regular colour with lots of grey!  I hear that the curls can go away as our hair gets longer.  Most of us want to grow it so we end up losing it.  I still have the curls, it looks good when you first style it, but then it doesn't last long.  I had left-sided breast cancer.

SURVIVORS ROCK!!!!!!!
Referral sent by my Dr Feb 2010... 1st Seminar Dec 20/10.... Met Dr. Jan 13/11.... Gastric Bypass Class Jan 13/11.... SW appt Feb 9/11... NUT appt Feb 9/11... 2nd Dr. appt Feb 24/11...PreOp appt Apr 20/11....Optifast Apr 26/11...2nd PreOp (with my family Doctor) May 9/11...SURGERY MAY 17/11!!!  
YankeeRose
on 4/17/11 1:19 pm - Meadville, PA
Yes survivors do rock!!!! yeah I still have my curls and its been 1 1/2 years since treatment. I also am growing my hair out. I notice that if i just wa**** and do nothing to it it is very wavy. The top part id more curly. I usually use a scrunch spray and scrunch my hair to have more defined curls. It is beginning to grow on me and I am liking the curls. Still sad that my blonde hair is gone but I had blonde highlights put in, they are very subtle but I think I will get more highlights for summer. Funny what chemo does to our hair. When I was on chemo I lost all of my hair including body hair. Now my eyelashes came back but they are very short and thin - I hate them. And they are still blonde, go figure. My hair on my head came back brown. I wish my eyelashes had come back brown so that I wouldn't have to wear mascara. I also have very little underarm hair and I no longer have to shave my legs. My hair is also a different texture. It is very thick and somewhat coarse. It used to be very fine and silky. I am glad to have hair though. I had uterine and ovarian cancer and am just happy to be alive. Hoping to have RNY next month.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

SmileyO
on 1/18/12 11:01 am - GA
 I just finished chemo in September (Yeah!!!), I have the chemo curls really bad. But I am rocking natural, as most African Americans are opting to do now. But I do experience the dryness as the day goes on, as noted in a previous reply. 
YankeeRose
on 1/19/12 2:11 am - Meadville, PA
Congratulations on finishing your chemo! I know I was so happy to be done with my chemo. It's been 2 years since I finished the chemo and I have grown my hair out to a little past my shoulders. It has a nice wave to it now. I think if it were still short I'd still have the curls because after I wa**** and let it dry naturally, I will get little ringlets around my face where I have shorter layers. I think the length is pulling on the curls. I've gotten used to the curls now and love them! Some days I even "scrunch" my hair. Enjoy your new locks. Did your color change too? Mine came in darker.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

SmileyO
on 2/23/12 10:54 pm - GA
It is a little darker. I have a little fro, it is now the in thing for black hair (natural styles). But I enjoy wearing wigs as I can be Tina Turner oneday, Beyonce one day, Chaka the next
David147
on 6/10/15 4:52 am

I think the best thing to do is leave it curly until it gets longer. Maybe put something to make the curls fuller and it'll look nice.

Cecelia B.
on 3/1/11 9:19 am - St Louis, MO
I am 3 years post tx and mine have totally gone away.  Sad I had never had curls, except by perm...I loved them.

Starting wt. March/ 2010  385lbs
Surgery wt.  Sept/2010     322lbs
Current wt.  Sept/2013     204lbs

Most Active