Colon Cancer

nspg01
on 3/21/12 9:55 am
I had an RNY on 9/11/2009 and have lost 136 #'s.   I just learned Friday,after a routine colonoscopy, that I have Colon Cancer.  I have never regretted my decision to have the RNY.  I lost 136 lbs and feel better, younger and healthier than I did 20 years ago.  I'm 69 and will be 70 in about 2 weeks. I was pretty miserable prior to the WLS but have never felt better.  I feel that I am more able to fight the battle against the big C BECAUSE I had the surgery. Obesity, not the surgery was probably the main culprit attributible to the cancer. I've always had a positive attitude when faced with any challenge and see no reason to change now.  I had PET and CT scans on Monday and results of those as well as byopsy's show absolutely no evidence that this cancer has spread.  I see the surgeon on Friday for the surgery schedule. Please keep me in your kind thoughts.

windchimes
on 3/22/12 6:18 am
Just wanted to say sorry about your diagnosis of colon cancer. Hugs to you. I wish you all the best.

Lisey
on 5/23/12 3:14 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Wishing you the best of luck!  I hope all is going well for you.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

nspg01
on 5/23/12 6:00 pm
Thanks Lisey.  Things are going really well for me.  Had my 3rd treatment and
haveing very few side effects.  All side effects are very manageable.  Told
the oncologist yesterday that I feel WELL.    I appreciate your good wishes. Thank You

daring2dream
on 5/24/12 3:04 pm
I am so glad to hear that you are feeling well, it is a long, often difficult journey, but one that you can definately do!   I was on track a year ago to get sleeved...just ready to send all the paper work to insurance when I was diagnosed with stage 3b colon cancer.  I did 12 treatments and just had my 3 month CT scan and at this point am NED. I was very lucky to have had the colonoscopy since I was 46 at the time, if I had waited til 50...well I wouldnt have made it to 50.

I will be saying prayers for you on this journey, all the best.

Donna

nspg01
on 5/24/12 9:11 pm
Thank you Daring2dream,  Am encouraged to hear about your success.  I have told my
family to make sure they have had at least one even if not 50 yet.  Some have done it
but some don't think it necessary.  My dr said I should encourage them to do it since
we have so much cancer in our family. Mother and 2 her sisters and cousin, my sister,
brother and now  younger brother fighting prostate cancer and another cousin fighting
prostate cancer all on same side of family.  All diff kinds. So many lost.  Sounds like I'm
dwelling on the sad side of cancer but am not.  I truely do have a positive disposition and
am told that is best medicine.  I will do whatever oncologist advises and will beat this,
I'm sure. I've been having colonoscopy's for the last 30 years(every 5 years) I was
diagnosed at my routine colonoscopy in Feb. so I know they work.  Wish everyone
would do that instead of waiting til 50.  Routine made mine be found early and prognosis
is good.   Chemo is because one cell found outside colon behind the tumor.  No other
indication that it has spread further. 28 lymph nodes tested neg for cancer so I
feel good about proactive decision for chemo.  I've never been a procrastinator so
was happy when my oncologist said he didn't want to sit and wait to see. Hope
our stories help others *****ad this.  Colonoscopy's prevent colon cancer. Don't
wait to have first one.  Then gastroenerologist will decide how often to have them
results after of first one.

anginaberryz
on 3/31/13 10:50 pm

Sory to hear about you. Melanoma of the intestinal tract is cancer of the colon, the lower part of your intestinal tract. Anal cancer is cancer of the intestinal tract. Together, they're often termed as intestinal tract malignancies.Most cases of intestinal tract cancer begin as little, noncancerous (benign) sections of tissues called adenomatous polyps. Over time some of these polyps become intestinal tract malignancies. Polyps may be little and produce few, if any, symptoms. For this reason, physicians suggest regular testing assessments to help prevent intestinal tract cancer by determining polyps before they become intestinal tract cancer.Early prevention is the way to cure from cancer, some symptoms are blood seen in the stool, abdomen pain, excessive weight loss or weight gain. problem in bowel movement.

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/13 7:29 pm

of course you are in our kind thoughts, what are the conditions now friend?

David147
on 6/10/15 4:14 am

Colon cancer is when some cells in the colon malfunction and a distortion or mutation occurs in the replication of cells. That mutation then duplicates and on it goes except these cells are abnormal and start developing a source of nutrition by forming blood sources nearby and taking over the organism. This group of cells will then form a blob or tumor, the tumor will probably ulcerate and that bleeding will cause anemia. The cancer can develop anywhere in the colon and can form from a small growth called a polyp. 

Most Active