Thyroid Cancer, Low Iodine Diet, Annual RAI

Trigna
on 11/6/13 12:31 am
RNY on 11/29/13 with

I guess I'm just looking for experiences with finishing up those first 5 years after thyca if you've had WLS. I had a total thyroidectomy for papillary-follicular thyca in spring of '11. I have 3 whole body scans down and two more to go. Last year, my endo finally let me try the thyrogen shots and that worked out much better because my energy didn't plummet as much.

RNY is 11/29. My annual thyroid stuff occurs in the spring. I *think* I've timed that okay. Still, I have much anxiety about it all. So....

I'm sure the LID isn't as much of a struggle after WLS... more egg whites and chicken, no starchy or sugary choices, right? But how do you all deal with the lower energy. Is it compounded by WLS? Do you even still take the RAI and get the WBS every year? Or have you opted to decline on those things and go with the neck sonogram only?

rainyone
on 11/6/13 10:35 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12

I had thryoid cancer 7 years ago and was treated with a thyroidectomy but not RAI . I'm dealing with a reoccurance now. I found a lump in my throat which turned out to be a necrotic lymph node and was positive for Pappilary thyroid cancer. Just had a modified neck dissection and remaining thyroid tissue removed. I'm doing RAI this time. I talk to my surgeon this friday about the RAI and if I need the Low Iodine Diet . I'm not looking forward to going hypo ( hoping I can get thyrogen shots instead of going off the synthroid)   

Do you know if protein shakes are ok on the LID?

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Most Active