Recent Posts

BoiledDenim
on 9/13/17 4:46 pm
Topic: RE: Medical Marijuana

LucasGreene,

I know this is late but...

I've had a bad relapse of leukemia this year which has been an ordeal. I spent over a month in the hospital, enduring procedure after procedure, test after test, relentless blood sticks, chemo, steroids. The whole nine. I was and in a way, still am, in pretty bad shape. The disease and treatment caused some awful bone/joint pain and nausea.

Prior to this, I had never really taken pain pills. Of course, I caution you, not to take this advice over any doctor. What are the laws like around you? Can you talk to your doctor about it? In my personal experience, nothing helps me like marijuana. Dilaudid, oxycodone, morphine, none of it helped. I will say I was never really a casual smoker, either.

Unfortunately, the state I live in is a little conservative, so I don't operate under the umbrella of any laws lol. I've tried CBD tincture and found that I can't do the taste. Makes me want to hurl. They make CBD goodies, which I did find helped. There's a brand of water that is infused with CBD that I really like too. I'll just be honest, most of the time I flat out just smoke it. Smoking anything isn't great for you, so this is a "do as I say not as I do" type of thing :).

I hope you're doing okay.

BoiledDenim
on 9/13/17 4:28 pm
Topic: (Pre-Op) Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia/Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia

Hello!

I am 32 years old, struggling with chronic obesity my entire life, BMI 60+. Diagnosed with CML in 2014. Was in remission until early 2017. As of today, still reeling from a subsequent genetic mutation which has cause a pretty bad relapse is now looking like ALL, and being aggressively treated as such.

My oncologist wants to proceed with a stem cell transplant, but will not do it until I lose significant weight (200+lbs). You'd think now, more than ever, I'd be motivated to beat this obesity monster once and for all. He's suggested looking into WLS, which I have done in the past and pre-dx. If I were an otherwise "normal" super obese 32 year old, I'd be a perfect candidate for DS.

I've had my consult and the surgeon, wisely, does not want to commit to a procedure with a malabsorption component due to the medication I take and may need to take in the future. He has suggested the gastric sleeve, which is about what I expected. Although, he seemed not very hopeful due to my weight, cautioning me that statistics show people of my size generally are not successful long-term. Basically just wanting me to manage my expectations, and not blame myself if it fails. As an aside, I understand what he's saying, but it just seemed weird?

Alas, am feeling utterly defeated at this time and just generally beaten down by life. I've lost my job after exhausting FMLA and have just become extremely reclusive, hiding away and taking comfort in sugary treats and salty yumyums. Sort of just.. let go. I'm afraid I just don't have it in me anymore to fight alone. Ultimately I know my success is up to me, but I really can't do it without help.

Sorry about the wordiness.. I just want to share as much as I can in case there are ever others in such a position. It's been hard to find support on this subject. Although there are some similar posts around the site, they're all old or very old. Anyone else have/had an issue like this? Would love to hear your stories and hopefully start a narrative. Thank you all.

LucasGreene
on 4/24/17 2:36 am
Topic: Medical Marijuana
Hi All, I just want to ask if anyone ever tried using medical cannabis as an alternative meds? I have read many articles about medical marijuana and how it can help you in terms of chronic pain, glaucoma, eating disorder/anorexia, anxiety disorders and panic attacks, inflammation, even cancer and a lot more. Like this article about a marijuana strain chemo from http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/chemo/. Cbd and thc are also new to me and I don't even smoke. If this is true I cant find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks
HonestOmnivore
on 4/18/17 1:09 pm
RNY on 03/29/17
Topic: Any breast cancer survivors, or previvors out there who had free flap reconstruction?

In 2014 I had a free flap breast reconstruction where they harvested fat from my belly and transplanted it to my "breasts" after removing implants that were just not working (encapsulated). Now I've had WLS and I'm wondering if I'll lose just some, or ALL of this faux breast tissue.

I need to get my body fat off to be healthy, so either way it's worth it, but I really will be sad if they go all the way back to the post mastectomy concave stage.

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 2/10/17 6:59 am
Topic: RE: August 9, 2016 - My Cancer Free Day!

Having a very recent diagnosis of DCIS, I came to the forum to see if anyone has or has had the same.  I'm glad that I stopped to read your topics so that I can congratulate you on your Cancer Free Day and, hopefully, learn from your attitude. 

Your comment that makes an enormous, positive impression is "...only felt sorry for myself the first 3 weeks after diagnosis."  Thank you for the reminder that there are more important things than self-pity to occupy one's mind when learning what a diagnosis means and what's to come.  I keep reminding myself when my hand is reaching for extra chunks of cheese and crackers or other over-the-top, non-weight losing food that what goes into my mouth is one of the few things that I can master now.  That you've done it with apparent, comparative ease is as admirable as the rest of what you've related.

Hail to you.

chassibi
on 11/15/16 3:59 pm
Topic: RE: August 9, 2016 - My Cancer Free Day!

Thank God you are now cancer free. Your journey has been unbelievably difficult. I hope you continue to enjoy good health as you undergo radiation and reconstruction. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

EddieCharette
on 11/14/16 3:16 am
Topic: RE: Possibly have breast cancer

I happened to see the other post too, Dont worry God would definitely help you out of it.Dont lose heart. 

lking
on 11/10/16 10:36 pm, edited 11/10/16 2:36 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15
Topic: RE: My Cancer Update

UPDATE 11/11/16:

Thank you to those OHers that have sent me messages asking about my progress.  I am happy to say that I am doing VERY well!  In fact, I'm doing so well that my radiation oncologist has decided to cut my radiation treatments from 33 to 30.  So, next Friday (11/18) will be my final radiation treatment. Yay!!

I'm still having Herceptin infusions every 3 weeks.  These are no big deal...no side effects from them.  I have to have them for 1 year.  I believe I will be done with the Herceptin infusions sometime in July 2017.

My weight loss is in a plateau status.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

stawfik
on 11/5/16 8:01 am
Topic: RE: Cushings Syndrome finally diagnosed

Lisa,

I also live in Birmingham and had gastrix bypass in 2007.  I am having the same issues but am having a problem finding a dr knowledgeable about cushings.  my symptoms are compiling daily .   Who was  your Dr at Kirklin ? 

Thanks , 

Susan 

lking
on 9/26/16 8:39 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15
Topic: My Cancer Update

After toting around the annoying drains for 7 weeks, they were finally removed today.  I see the radiologist on Wednesday (9/28) and will also have a CT scan for the radiologist.  I'm guessing that my 33 radiation treatments will start next Monday.

Now that I completed my chemo back on July 7th, my appetite has finally returned...with a vengence.  I'm eating mostly dense protein along with some veggies.  My RD said I am doing great with my RNY.  She isn't concerned about my increased appetite, saying that I am handling everything just great.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Most Active