Recent Posts

ljbarbara
on 9/21/16 5:30 pm
Topic: RE: August 9, 2016 - My Cancer Free Day!

Congratulations on your weight loss success and your continued good health! My best friend is a beast cancer survivor and is a little over 10 years cancer free.  She waited a really long time to have her breast reconstruction and wishes she had done it years earlier. I've meet many breast cancer survivors  by going to her support group meetings with her.  What an amazing group of people,  and I include you right in there too!  So much to go through and still be able to come back swinging! My best thoughts and prayers are going your way.... please keep us posted. 

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

joanne0658
on 9/7/16 3:04 pm
Topic: RE: August 9, 2016 - My Cancer Free Day!

so many views and not one person took the time to reply.  sorry i never thought to look here as i've wondered how you are doing but didn't know what to write.  my sis went through a similar cancer situation and i found it just as hard to face or ask or even know what to say.  

just know this . . . .you are truly an inspiration.  this battle sucks but you are shining through all of it.  love that you've named 8/9 your cancer free day.  sending good, healing, heaven covered thoughts your way.  YAY YOU !!!!!!

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

Kjnelson
on 8/24/16 8:07 pm - AK
VSG on 10/11/17
Topic: RE: Weight Loss and Gain With Cancer

Hi, I have not had bariatric surgery yet but I do understand the battle of weight gain with cancer.  Steroids helped to put many extra pounds on me and I did the fluid gain and loss many times.  I hope you have been doing well in your treatment. I think it is good advice to concentrate on kicking cancers butt first. Eat to be healthy.  Good luck. 

Kjnelson
on 8/24/16 8:00 pm - AK
VSG on 10/11/17
Topic: RE: Anyone diagnosed with G-MUS after surgery?

Hi, I am new to this web site. I see your post is pretty old but I hope you are still here. I don't have MGUS but full blown Multiple Myeloma. Multiple Myeloma would be the next stage of MGUS if it progresses, but odds are good it will just stay MGUS.  Have you learned anymore?   I have not heard of surgeries causing MGUS but you definitely need to follow up on that. 

I hope olé you are well. 

lking
on 8/13/16 8:32 am, edited 8/13/16 4:02 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15
Topic: August 9, 2016 - My Cancer Free Day!

Crossposted...

My RNY was on 12/4/15 then on 2/29 I received a confirmed diagnosis of breast cancer.  I started 6 rounds of chemo on 3/17/16, completing chemo on 7/7/16.  On 8/9/16 I had a double mastectomy (removal of the cancer affected right breast, right underarm lymph nodes, and prophylactic removal of the left breast).  This was my Cancer Free Day!  

Every 8/9 will be celebrated by my family, friends, and me as my Cancer Free Day anniversary.  The cancer is gone but I still have a very long road ahead of me.  I am now on 1 year of Herceptin infusions every 3 weeks, and radiation will begin in about 4 weeks (33 treatments, 5 days a weeks for 6 1/2 weeks).  

Six months after radiation is completed I start on breast reconstruction (aka Delayed DIEP).  This will entail 4 surgeries.  When all is said and done it will be a process of more than 2 years from diagnosis to completion.  I am lucky to be alive, only felt sorry for myself the first 3 weeks after diagnosis.  I was told by both my oncology surgeon and my oncologist that I owe my success with cancer treatment to WLS.  I became healthy...no more HBP, high cholesterol, or diabetes, and my weight was a safer level.

I have continued to safely lose weight throughout my ordeal. My bariatric surgeon and my oncologist having closely monitored my diet and weight loss so I could continue losing weight at a safe rate.  Getting the necessary daily minimum of 60 grams of protein and 64 ozs of fluid has been a struggle throughout all this.  Many days I just couldn't do it, but I persevered the best I could.

When you are upset over a few months of thinning hair, think of those that have completely lost their hair due to chemo. Myself, I have been completely bald for the last 5 months. Hair grows back.  When you want to cheat while on your plan, think of those of us that would give anything just to be able to eat and drink anything, even the food on our plan.  BTW, I have never once cheated or gone off plan since I began my journey on 8/5/15.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Novella
on 7/30/16 8:24 am
Topic: RE: Thyroid Cancer survivor - which WLS would be best??

Paknee, I was going through the process of having WLS (since sept/16) when TC was discovered in March/16, TT in May/16 and I will have RNY in September.  It was ok for me to postpone RAI until after RNY.  I am not sure why your team is reluctant to perform RNY. Perhaps request a second opinion?  Since TT, I have gained 15 pounds, in just 2 months, despite workouts 5x/week and watching what I eat. It is very frustrating. I am just praying now that RNY will be an effective tool for me. I suppose the pre-op diet should give an indication if WL is a possibility. I sure hope so. 

49yr Woman » |5'5"| HW 244 | CW 158 | GW 145 | SD 09/16

Pre-op-20lb M1-25lb M2-10 M3-6lb M4-7lb M5-7lb M6-3lb M7-2lb M8-2lb M9-3lb

lking
on 7/8/16 7:46 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15
Topic: Weight Loss and Gain With Cancer

Cross post...

Some of you are aware that 2 1/2 months after my RNY, last December, I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer.  My cancer medical team was concerned with the fact of being a new bariatic patient so close to being a new oncology patient, that I would lose weight too rapidly, which is not good when undergoing chemo.  To say the least I have been watched very closely and I have been able to maintain a healthy balance.

My chemo treatments have been every 3 weeks.  I managed to keep my oncologist happy by only losing about 5 pounds during each 3 week period.  My bariatric NUT and surgeon have been okay with my slower weight loss since I have a good reason.  They said we will get back to whatever I need to do for weight loss after the cancer crap is out if me.

Even being on chemo I have been able to lose 104.4 lbs.  Each chemo treatment I gain 7 lbs of fluid that takes me a week to lose.  Then last week I was hospitalized and had emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction, which turned out to be an internal pelvic hernia.  

During my 5 days in the hospital, with IV fluids being pumped into me 24/7, I gained 15 pounds.  I was not allowed anything by mouth for 2 days, then I was finally put on a clear liquid diet for 1.5 days.  The last day I was put on a regular bariatric diet, but I had no appetite so I just sipped on my Premier Protein shake, that my hubs brought from home, and decaf tea.

Even being home I still don't yet have an appetite so I am thankful for my Premier Protein shakes for getting my protein.  Between not completely losing my hospital IV fluids and then Chemo yesterday, which is good for gaining 7 lbs of fluid, it won't be until the end of next week before I know my actual weight.

My double mastectomy will be in 4.5 weeks.  I am prepared for a large weight gain from IV fluids.  I will weigh myself the morning of surgery and then not again for a few week after.  This should be interesting to say the least.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/16 10:36 pm
Topic: RE: Possibly have breast cancer

Since your WLS, You have been thru so much!!!  What a strong,woman you are!! I'm so glad you have a great support system.  I wish you all the best in a speedy recovery after surgery and further treatment.  

We are all praying for you!!!  Keep us posted.  I did see your other posts after my last message.  I will continue to follow your recovery!!  

lking
on 7/1/16 4:40 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

Thank you for checking on me!  I'm doing good.  My 6th and final chemo treatment will be next Thursday (7/7).  I will be so glad to be finished with chemo.  I have endured just about every possible side effect.

My double mastectomy will take place on 8/9.  After recovery, 6 1/2 weeks of  radiation treatments will take place.  After recovery from radiation reconstruction of both breast begins.  Sometime after radiation my 1 year of Herceptin infusions will take place (every 3 weeks).

I have a GREAT support system and medical team!

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/16 1:10 pm

I only saw your link today.  I have not yet had WLS but was wondering how you are doing?  I hope you have a good support system and wondered if I could lend an ear.  

Most Active